Steve Rogers/Tony Stark
|Pairing:||Steve Rogers/Tony Stark|
|Alternative name(s):||Steve/Tony, Cap/Ironman, IronCap, Superhusbands, Stony|
|Gender category:||slash, m/m|
|Fandom:||Marvel Comics, Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble, Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, Marvel Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Avengers Films, Marvel Noir|
|Canonical?:||no (except for Earth-3490)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
On July 4th, 2007 Elspethdixon and Seanchai began posting Resurrection, Reconstruction, and Redemption, the first Steve/Tony novel. They are widely regarded as having kickstarted S/T fandom. Elspethdixon and Seanchai continue to be active in the fandom, and have been instrumental in its growth and in the past they hosted the pairing's main archive, Tales of Suspense.
When the Captain America: The First Avenger was released in 2011, both Tony and Steve finally had a movieverse counterpart. That and the anticipation for the Avengers movie lead to an influx of movieverse Steve/Tony fic, art, vids, and other fanworks.
- In 2018 Stony was ranked 24th on Tumblr's Top 100 Ships of 2018
Different Canon Versions and Universes
The Marvel Universe is a multiverse canon. Backstories and characterisation might vary in different universes, which has consequences how people ship the characters. In her info post about major Marvel Universes and how they relate to Steve/Tony tsukinofaerii explains:
Because of the tight interweaving, usually similar mediums and cross-section of interests, the Marvel multiverse fandom generally acts as a single fandom, rather than individual ones. Using as an example, many members may be fannish over several versions of Steve and Tony simultaneously without necessarily feeling that these are different fandoms. This also leads to occasions when a fan is not interested in certain versions of Steve and Tony, or they ship them with other people in different universes. The ultimate effect of this is the need for origin universe labeling.
About the merging of the universes in fanfic (also, referring to the Across the Multiverse photoset):
Aside from the “two attractive white men” factor, which is not to be underestimated as a motivator, MCU Steve/Tony comes out of the pre-existing Steve/Tony ship that the rest of those panels represent. There was a strong ship before even the first Iron Man film, in part because their relationship is so close and highly-charged in the comics; they may have other relationships that are similar but few that are so frequently visible. Very few people ship exclusively MCU, even if they think they do, because fandom has passed a lot down to them which sets up a context for using RDJ and Chris Evans to play out scenarios more suited to a comic book setting.
Many of the “classic” and popular fics in the fandom were written pre-Avengers if not pre-MCU entirely. Post-Avengers popular fics like Scifigrl47’s Toasterverse clearly draw on comic book tropes as well as MCU ones, and that’s not an accident; Sci has a long fandom history and is pretty well-read in comics.
If you read a fanfic where the Avengers are all living together under one roof, that didn’t come from the endscene of Avengers where Tony’s clearly planning it; that came, even if only through older fics, from the fact that in the comics, they often have and sometimes still do.
If you read a fanfic where Tony is characterised as a self-loathing asshole who thinks he’s not good enough for Steve, that characterisation might be a woobiefication but also frequently comes down to newer writers from older writers who got it direct from the comics, where Tony often believes he’s not good enough for the friends he has, Steve especially.If you read a fanfic where Tony has worshipped Steve since he was a boy, that derives from comics where Tony literally has a Captain America shrine in a room at Stark Mansion, and where his passwords are often some variation on Cap’s name. I could go on, but you get the idea.
For more information on the Marvel multiverse see List of Marvel Universes.
Earth-616 is the main continuity in Marvel Comics.
In this universe, Steve and Tony are besties. I mean, besties. It's the matching shirts, slumber parties and swearing to be neighbors and have your kids be best friends sort of besties, with added homoerotic undertones, more than a few instances of pining and Identity Porn by way of Tony's "bodyguard". When they're not being besties, they're angsting over it (and tearing the world apart in the process).
Notes: Due to the telescopic timeline, the Avengers have only been a team for 10-11 years in-story, but have been published for over 50 years real time. This makes things somewhat confusing, especially since some points are "fixed" (notably Steve's service in WWII).
Tony has, at times, had a chest plate, an artificial heart, a replacement heart and now the reactor. During the New Avengers timeframe he gained Extremis, a techno organic virus which seems to operate as a form of technopathy. It's essentially a computer-brain that lets him store part of the armor in his bones and operate machines with his brain. Extremis rebuilt him from the ground up and resolved his previous physical problems, including his heart. Extremis was compromised during the Secret Invasion, and for some reason that was never really explained, he needed an arc reactor to recover from having his brain deleted.
About the only thing that changes more than Tony's physical ailments is his facial hair.Trivia: Natasha Romanov was originally a Soviet Spy called the Black Widow who had been sent to seduce and destroy Genius Millionaire Etc Tony Stark. Somehow, she ended up dating a circus performer named Clint Barton (Hawkeye) and temporarily turning him into a villain with the power of boobies. Eventually, they both did a Heel Face Turn and became Avengers.
In the MCU Steve and Tony meet for the first time in the The Avengers (2012) movie, set after Iron Man 2 and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).
Steve and Tony start off as highly antagonistic. Steve is bristly and easily prodded. Tony is, of course, a prodder by nature. Through the power of bickering, the self—induced fridging of Coulson, teamwork and Tony's attempted sacrifice, they seem to come to terms by the end of the movie. At the very least, they shake hands and look friends. Tony is currently very cozy with Pepper (which is adorable, I feel the need to say) and Steve has only been defrosted for a couple of months, so there's still plenty to work with.
Avengers Assemble (Cartoon Series)
Avengers Assemble (shortened AA) is a cartoon series airing on Disney XD since 2013. Season 3 was renamed to Ultron Revoution and season 4 Avengers Secret Wars. Steve and Tony's relationship in Avengers Assemble is very friendly, which makes it a great ship fodder.
Tony: Steve, even without your shield, you're still Captain America. Without my armor, I'm just...
Steve: Tony Stark! The Tony Stark. Billionaire genius. You're probably one of the three smartest men in the entire world. You're as tough as they come. You invented hardcore. The Avengers are lucky you're on our side.
Tony: Really? You know two people smarter than me?
Steve: Can't you just take a compliment?- Avengers Assemble 1x13, In Deep
- Lady-Pei's Avengers Assemble Content Masterlist - A masterlist of livewatches, screencaps, etc. by lady-pei on tumblr
- Steve Rogers is in love with the oblivious dumb genius Tony Stark - A fantastic AA fan art by mr-stark-rogers
- Avengers Assemble SteveTony fic tag on ao3 - SteveTony is the most popular ship for this canon, taking up over half of all AA fanworks
Avengers Academy (Video Game)
Avengers Academy (popularly shortened to AvAc), a mobile game that launched in early 2016, shows Avengers as college age young adults. Steve and Tony are younger but still very much Steve&Tony we love.
Captain America: I like you Tony, but don't ever disrespect the election process.
Iron Man: I like you too Cap, but by now you should know that I pretty much disrespect everything.- Vote for Cap pt. 1 quest, Steve and Tony's first in-game conversation
- Reasons I love AvAc!Stony by stony1818 - a list of shippy moments in the game.
- AvAc!SteveTony ao3 tag - SteveTony is the most popular ship for this canon, taking up 40% of all AvAc fanworks.
1872 (Canon Western AU)
Part of the 2015 Secret Wars event. It became popular even before the first issue was out, mostly due to great western-style costume designs for Steve and Tony by Nik Virella. In this AU Tony is a town blacksmith, Steve is a sheriff. Some of the highlights include Steve and Tony bantering at each other in the saloon, Tony serenading Steve with some old songs, defeating some thugs together, all in the first issue. The second issue was infamously tragic, but that possibly only contributed to the popularity of the canon, because SteveTony shippers love their angst, it is known.
- RE: 1872, AND WHY YOU DON’T EVEN NEED SHIPPER GOGGLES TO SEE THE STEVE/TONY - by goodmorningbeloved, 1872 meta drawing parallels with other canons.
- Gorgeous 1872 art by Luosong (July 2015)
- SteveTony Battleworld Ao3 tag (includes other Battleworld places as well but 1872 dominates)
Also Identity Porn (hidden, secret or mistaken identity) is a common trope, mainly in the comic 'verse.
There are a surprising number of stories wherein they are best friends and sleeping together and yet one or both of them is mournfully convinced that the other thinks it's just casual sex and not TRUE LOVE.
Also popular is Extremis Behaving Badly, wherein Tony's (sadly short lived in canon) cybernetic-cyborgy-computer virus-implant thingy acts up and hijinx ensue. Examples: A Meeting of Minds by Nix; Without Irony by tsukinofaerii; There is no I ... by jadedoll.
In the Avengers movie fandom, there are a number of stories in which they start out hating each other (or thinking the other hates them BUT REALLY THEY DON'T!!), such as Ready, Fire, Aim by Gyzym and I stole the keys to this guy by kellifer_fic. In most pre-TA (pre The Avengers movie) stories the characters all move into one of Tony's mansions which leads to a lot of domestic scenes between Steve and Tony and the rest of the team.
- see also Category:Steve Rogers/Tony Stark Fanfiction for more
Marvel Cinematic Universe (pre-The Avengers)
- Arms and the Man by Sam Starbuck - Steve comes to terms with the future, his own sexuality, and his attraction to Tony. (MCU, pre-TA, 2012)
- Ghost in the Wires by sororexitium - Everyone thinks Tony is dead but Steve is not convinced. (MCU, pre-TA, AU, 2012)
- Honey, I Can See The Stars by twentysomething - Developing friendship turns into relationship. (MCU, pre-TA, 2011)
- Ready, Fire, Aim by Gyzym - They don't exactly get along right from the start. Often recommended series. (MCU, pre-TA, 2011)
- A Partial Dictionary Of The 21st Century By Captain Steve Rogers, US Army by Sam Starbuck - Good Steve!POV. (MCU, pre-TA, 2012)
- Semaphore by Devil Doll - ”I’m trying to like you, Tony. You’re just making it very hard.” (MCU, pre-TA, 2011)
- Team Building Activities by valtyr - good introduction to the MCU version of the pairing. (MCU, pre-TA, 2012)
Marvel Cinematic Universe (post-The Avengers)
- The Toasterverse by scifigrl47 - The primary series in the Toasterverse, In Which Tony Stark Builds Himself Some Friends (But His Family Was Assigned By Nick Fury) is a mix of domestic fluff, heavily plotted action fics, and a fix-it fic for the big spoiler in The Avengers. It is currently made up of six fics.
- The Act of Creation Will Be Your Salvation by scifigrl47 - Steve/Tony story that features Tony's robots, told from Dummy's POV. (MCU, 2012)
- As Sharp As Any Thorn by RurouniHime (2013)
- Coming Home by Sonora - Tony goes along with Shield's 1940s charade to help re-introducing Steve to the world but Steve figures it out and then there are feelings. (2012)
- Don't Look too Closely (all the angles are oblique) by shaenie - BDSM series (2012, MCU)
- Dreaming Electric by jukeboxhound. Movieverse take on the Extremis story, created for the Cap/Iron Man Big Bang. (MCU, 2012)
- (First Impressions Are) A Work in Progress by porthos - "The Corruption of Captain America by Tony Stark" and "Tony's Superpower Is Being An Asshole". (MCU, 2012)
- How To Excel At Supervillainy (and lose your heart to America) by Zekkass. And that's how Tony's supervillainy hobby got way way way complicated. (MCU, 2012)
- I (created from fantasies) exist solely for you by Mizzy. Identity porn, created for the Marvel Universe Big Bang. (MCU AU, 2012)
- The Last Love Song of Anthony E. Stark by jibrailis - Amnesia fic, epic quest-based fairytale. (MCU, 2012)
- Mr. July by jibrailis - Steve posses for a calender and Tony deals with it in his own way. (2011)
- the reason you ruminate the shadowy past by Mizzy - written for Avengers Big Bang. Steve and Tony have to become fake boyfriends. (MCU, 2012)
- Turn Around (Three Times Before Lying Down) by kellifer_fic - written for Avengers Big Bang. Werewolf AU. (MCU, 2012)
- Unveil My Unsightly Heart by Mizzy - MCU Steve and Tony are catapulted into an alternate universe where their alternate selves are married and battling with a mysterious threat. Written for the Cap/Iron Man Reverse Bang 2013. (MCU, 2013)
- When Darkness Sleeps Beside You by rufflefeather - Steve works as an escort to support himself as a struggling artist, and Tony is a rich… philanthropist. Inspired by a Tumblr GIF set. (2012)
- All That Remains by kijikun - Tony becomes the guardian of a nine-year-old girl who has spent her short life being trained as a weapon. As he learns to be a father he has to deal with the repercussions of the SHRA and the unexpected return of Steve Rogers. Kidfic set post-Civil War in a universe where Secret Invasion never happened. (Marvel 616, 2008/2009)
- America Isn't Chicken by Amuly - After Civil War Steve and Tony get together by playing a game of "gay chicken". (Marvel 616, 2013)
- Buy You A Mockingbird by jadedoll - Tony promises to take care of his child from an alternative canon universe. Written for Cap/Iron Man Big Bang. (Marvel 616 and 3490 verses, 2011)
- Resurrection, Reconstruction, and Redemption by Elspethdixon & Seanchai. First novel-length Steve/Tony fic. A fix-it Civil War fic. (Marvel 616, 2007)
- Secrets of a Successful Marriage by valtyr - Tony Stark is secretly the supervillain known as Iron Man and doesn't know that his husband Steve is Captain America. (Marvel 616, 2011)
- Waking the Dragon by tsukinofaerii - fantasy AU, written for the Cap/Iron Man Reverse Bang 2012. (Marvel 616, 2012)
- When the Lights Go On Again by Elspethdixon & Seanchai - novel length story with a strong plot and use of canon. (Marvel 616, 2008-2009)
- Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do by copperbadge - Prohibition AU written for the Cap/Iron Man Reverse Bang.
- A Long Way to Go by duc - Historical AU where Tony is a young nobleman who is kidnapped and sold into slavery by business rivals, and Steve is some kind of warrior who purchases him; written for written for the Cap/Iron Man Big Bang 2011.
- Catch a Falling Star by tsukinofaerii - Space AU, written for the Cap/Iron Man Big Bang. (Marvel Ultimates, 2012)
- The Emperor's Fury by valtyr - Steve is an ex-gladiator. Historical AU written for Sci-Fi Big Bang 2011.
- Engaging the Enemy by tsukinofaerii - Iron Man is one of the more persistent villains that the Ultimates face, with a special fondness for one Captain America. Written for the Cap/Iron Man Secret Santa 2010.
- Never Too Late For Love by Sineala for the 2017 Captain America/Iron Man Big Bang. A slow burn where Steve is Tony Stark's very reluctant soulmate.
- Two Hands and a Map by isozyme. - Genderbent Steve/Tony. "The sexual education of Eve “The Female Orgasm Is a Myth” Rogers, courtesy of Tonia Stark." (2019)
- All That Tomorrow Brings by TARDIScrash - Captain America is a seventeen year old Tony Stark's idol. Steve Rogers is his art history teacher. (Armored Adventures, 2012)
- Living In The Future by Closer - Eighteen-year-old Tony Stark is the boy genius who woke Captain America, and now he's stuck with him. This is set in the Armored Adventures cartoon universe, where Tony lost his father and became Iron Man at sixteen instead of in his thirties. (2012)
- Look here, look back, look ahead by marinarusalka - September, 1941: Returning from a mission as Iron Man, Tony Stark crash-lands in the Carpathian Mountains and is rescued by Captain America. The two heroes team up to investigate Nazi activity at a mysterious castle. But Captain America is keeping secrets that could destroy their new partnership before it has a chance to begin. (Iron Man Noir, 2011)
- Sleepwalker by pencilnecklace (3:30). Civil War slash vid. (07/2011)
- In The End by ILoveDinobot (3:41). A Steve/Tony Civil War vid. (02/2010)
- Steve x Tony slideshow by eciepecie (3:41). This slideshow uses mostly fanart. Angst! (03/2010)
- Echo by tomoyofanel (3:31). Steve/Tony slash vid about their profound bond. "They are the opposites, still, they are the same. Past and future." (04/2012)
- I Summon You by kuwdora (2:57). "Steve is Tony's inspiration on how to be a superhero! His crush! Future husband! The end." (10/2011)
- Little Lion Man by aheartthen (2:22). Civil War inspired vid using only MCU footage. (03/2012)
- Parachute by VilyaXxX0llwyna (1:30 min). Awesome constructed reality. (04/2012)
- Baby, That's Me by xKelociraptor (1:11 min). As of May 2012 the first YouTube result when searching for Steve/Tony slash on Google. (02/2012)
- You, Me and Steve by nel_ani (1:54). "It's not that Pepper doesn't like Steve, she just figured she was getting involved with Tony, not Steve and Tony." (05/2012)
- Open Your Eyes by VilyaXxX0llwyna (1:53). A Highschool AU vid that later inspired a fic of the same name.
- If I only could by TheMadMoro (1:40). Tony Stark's reaction to death of Captain America. (10/2011)
- Hit & Run by Firenstone (1:47). Multiverse SteveTony video showcasing several different iterations of the ship. (08/2016)
- Ironfries' (Superfries) Avengers artwork - Lots of adorable Steve/Tony drawings, mostly movieverse.
- Fuck Yeah Tony/Steve - tumblr with artwork for the pairing
- Resurrection, Reconstruction, and Redemption Art by Akatsuki Ayako. Illustrations for one of the big stories of the fandom.
- ColonelRogers's tumblr
- Krusca's art-only tumblr
- Kelslk's tumblr
- Hello-shellhead - tumblr
- wingheadshellhead's art tag - tumblr
- hackedmotionsensors' stevetony art tag - tumblr
- osuda - tumblr
- Nakurumok - Adorable chibi fanart - tumblr
- hailstevetony - tumblr posting stevetony fanart from weibo, with permission
- stonystonysto's fanart tag - tumblr
- Snowzapped's art-only - tumblr
- Mero blog - tumblr
- Yatta's tumblr (stony and/or spideypool)
from a Texts From Last Night Meme
- A Sword, A Horse, A Shield, Archived version, comicverse Steve/Tony Ship Manifesto essay by elspethdixon, July 2008.
- Nix aka Crimson Quills ran a workshop on Writing Captain America/Iron Man (May 2008) and started compiling the extensive Captain America/Iron Man Slashy Moments List (begun March 2008, moved a couple of times and is curated by the cap-ironman community now here, ongoing).
- Avengers Info Post by tsukinofaerii. Explains the different universes and the relationships of the characters in these universes.
- An Issue by Issue Guide to The Avengers for The Iron Man / Captain America Fan by Grey Bard
- Earth 616, Earth 1610, Earth 3490—Wait, what universe is this again? The creation and evolution of the Avengers and Captain America/Iron Man fandom by Catherine Coker, published in TWC Vol 13 (2013)
- Steve Rogers & Tony Stark: We Have Our Moments (aka the Cap-Iron Man slashy moments list)
- Stony on Shipping Wiki
- Tales of Suspense - a Steve/Tony fanfiction archive (closed).
- Fanfiction and other fanworks tagged "Steve Rogers/Tony Stark" at AO3.
- Movieverse fanfiction and Comicverse fanfiction tagged Captain America/Iron Man at Fanfiction.Net.
- Captain America/Iron Man Big Bang Fest - 2009 big bang
- Cap/Iron Man Big Bang - 2011 - present
- Cap/Iron Man Reverse Bang - 2010 - present
- Cap/Iron Man Holiday Exchange - 2010 - present
- Cap/IronMan Bingo - 2012 - present
- Cap/IronMan Remix - 2016 - present
- Cap/Iron Man Tiny Reverse Bang - 2015 - present
- The SteveTony Games - 2020 - present
- cap_ironman - main Steve/Tony LJ community, runs its own challenges like Big Bangs and Reverse Big Bangs
- Steve Loves Tony - LJ community
- Cap/Iron Man Story Finders - finders community on LJ
- capkink - Captain America kink meme, mostly movieverse
- cap_ironman associated tumblr of the cap_ironman livejournal community
- Wingeheadshellhead multiverse blog (previously known as dailysuperhusbands)
- FUCK YEAH 616 STEVE/TONY Blog for 616!Steve/Tony, currently inactive, but still a great resource for 616!Steve/Tony.
- Stonystonysto another multiverse blog, Steve/Tony only.
- Superhusbands4ever mostly Steve/Tony, with other ships
- Superhusbandswithasideoffamily Steve/Tony blog with a focus on superfamily (Steve/Tony with Peter Parker as their (usually adopted) son)
- Lady-Pei THE place for Avengers Assemble!SteveTony, with some other fandoms mixed-in
- cptxrogers Steve/Tony edits, recs, with some other fandoms mixed-in
- Sabremc Steve/Tony fics, recs, and headcanons, etc. with some other fandoms mixed-in
- Captainneverever Mostly SteveTony with some other fandoms/ships mixed-in
- Good Morning Beloved stony sideblog
- Stony1818 Prevalently SteveTony with some other (non-Marvel) fandoms mixed in
- Izazov SteveTony gifs + other, mostly marvel-related, posts
- itsallavengers SteveTony headcanons, ficlets, etc. with multishipping content.
- Incorrect Tony's Pairings Quotes multishipping content
- tony-steve scans comic scans of Tony and Steve
- Superhusband Aluminum Anniversary Anthology a fanbook created in 2017 to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of Civil War: The Confession (2007)
- Steve/Tony fanworks: Where do I start? on the cap_ironman community
- Rec Week tag on the cap_ironman community
- Steve/Tony tag on the Epic Recs community
- Avengers Fanfic Recs: Steve Rogers/Tony Stark - recommendations by mysticalchild_isis. Sorted by 616!verse (i.e. normal comics canon), Ultimates!verse (aka 1610), Marvel Adventures!verse, Movieverse, Iron Man Noir, 3490!verse (i.e., the one where Tony is Natasha), Crossovers Between Universes, and Complete AUs. Also links art and resources.
- Steve/Tony Rec’s - Masterlist. Organized by Rating then then descending order by length. Movieverse stories written before the release of The Avengers (2012) are labeled pre-TA.
- All Avengers, all the time - recommendations by thuviaptarth. Not quite all Steve/Tony all the time, but close.
- We Aim To Misbehave - Avengers Steve/Tony Fic Recs - recommendations by swing_set13.
- Avengers Recs: Steve/Tony (Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11) - recommendations by aliassmith.
- Oh look a giant Steve/Tony fic rec list - recommendations by xxumbra
- Steve/Tony Rec List - recs by kepteinen, sorted by completed/AU/WIP
- Steve/Tony Rec List - recs by thranduilous; all fics listed are complete, unless they are part of a series, mcu fics are organized into sections by word count
- Steve/Tony fic recs by asubakatchin
- Steve/Tony Fic Recs - recommendations by todaythesamesky
- superhusbandsfics - Captain America and Iron Man: Fanfic rec in quotes. A rec blog for fanfiction dedicated to the Steve/Tony relationship, mostly romantically inclined.
- ishipallthings' Steve/Tony Rec List tag - recs by ishipallthings, by trope - on Tumblr
- Stony fic recs blog - recommendations by sabrecmc
- cptxrogers' recs - cptxrogers' rec list tag
- Info Post!: "[...] Earth-3490, where Civil War was prevented by the marriage of Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Iron Woman (Natasha Stark). According the one one-image panel to the right, they muted one another's aggressive tendencies, which allowed the 50 State Initiative to complete. I can only speculate on the extremely hot sex."
- 2018’s Top Ships
- tsukinofaerii in cap_ironman. An Info Post!, 27 October 2011. (Accessed 06 January 2013)
- copperbadge. MCU Steve/Tony comes out of the pre-existing Steve/Tony ship, October 2013. (Accessed 28 October 2013)
- See jane_elliot in epic_recs. All That Remains by Kijikun (NC-17), 22 June 2010. (Accessed 07 June 2012)
- First Post of the Slashy Moments List, May 2008. (Accessed 25 December 2017)