Where was Clint Barton during CA2?
|Tropes and genres|
|Synonym(s)||Where the hell was Clint Barton?, Where was Clint Barton during Captain America: Winter Soldier?, But Where Was Clint Barton?, Clint during CAtWS|
|Related tropes/genres||Clint Barton, Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Captain America Movieverse)|
|See also||The Avengers Movieverse, The Avengers (Marvel)|
|Related articles on Fanlore.|
Where was Clint Barton during CA2? is a trope that came from fans of Clint Barton that wondered where he was during and/or the aftermath of the Captain America: Winter Soldier film (aka when Hydra is revealed to have infiltrated SHIELD and when Natasha Romanoff uploads all Hydra/Shield data online). Since Clint Barton is a Shield Agent, many fans like to speculate where the character was (was he in a mission? was it blown?) or later on after footage of The Avengers 2 was released: was he at his farm? Various fanworks, headcanons, and fan theories were created around this.
Many fans were disappointed by the lack of appearance or at least a character mention, although many Clintasha fans were happy with Natasha wearing an arrow as a necklace during the film.
A few months after the release of CA2 and the release of the film on DVD/Blu-ray, it was revealed that Clint Barton was initially supposed to have a small part in the film but it was later cut:
"What it was going to be, we were trying to complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends. If Hawkeye got a call from S.H.I.E.L.D saying Captain America is a fugitive, would he listen to that call or not listen to that call? That sequence actually was heartbreaking for us to cut it. I think it ultimately might have been a conflict with Renner’s schedule. But there was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him. And then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap’s ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D. - Joe Russo"
Please restrict examples to constitutes a Clint's whereabouts are a major point in the work, rather than a throwaway moment.
- Loyalties Tested by animexluva13, “It’s just me, Rogers,” He considered his next words and the fact that everything he was saying was being listened to through his comm, “I’ve been ordered to take you in.”
- Drop and Cover by ace_up_the_sleeve, Clint Barton wasn't sitting idly by when the Winter Soldier shattered the organization as they knew it. When a mission assigned to the assassin goes south as SHIELD crumbles around him, he's left to pick up the pieces as best he can. The task is considerably more difficult than he would have liked to imagine, with his resources and reliability all but blown out of existence. It wouldn't be his luck to just have to survive. No, he has a world to save along the way as well.
- Things To Do In New York City When You're No Longer Brainwashed. by Lanna Michaels, Clint starts a lingerie store. It makes sense at the time. (No, it doesn't.) (podfic)
- Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch… by enviropony, What Clint was actually doing when it all hit the fan.
- WHAT IF ▬ Clint hasn’t been seen since the Avengers because he had other duties to attend…, a gifset by spectralarchers
- Hawkeye’s Cut Sequence in ‘Captain America 2′ Revealed. Screenrant.com. 09.02.2014. (Accessed 17 May 2015)