'Domestic Avengers is a fan-driven Marvel remix in which characters from The Avengers live together, are in relationships with each other and/or have children together. Domestic Avengers is extremely popular on tumblr. Many of the fanworks in the Domestic Avengers fandom have to do with specific pairings; however, there are a good deal of gen fanworks as well. Fans tend to use the Marvel Cinematic Universe as their source text, though other characters from the Marvel canon feature as well.
A common theme of many of these stories is Tony Stark's extravagance in accommodating the Avengers; for example, he is often depicted as allocating a floor of his New York tower for each Avenger to live on. Since the tower is based on New York's Metlife building, which has office space renting at around $35 per square foot, and each floor is around 5,000 sq. ft., this would cost Stark Industries roughly $175000 per Avenger per year, plus hefty initial costs for converting office space to residential use, which might be a cause for shareholder concern. For comparison, average New York apartment size is around 866 sq.ft.
Superfamily is a sub-fandom in which Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are married, partners, or boyfriends who have adopted and raised Peter Parker as their son. Attached to this term is Superhusbands, a ship which refers to the Steve/Tony pairing. Superfamily fanworks often include other characters from the Marvel universe, such as "Aunt" Natasha Romanoff or "Uncle" Thor. Superfamily is arguably the most popular domestic scenario in the Domestic Avengers tumblr fandom and garners the most activity on tumblr.
In the Domestic Avengers fandom, Clint Barton/Natasha Romanova is another pairing which frequently features the two as married or in a partnership with children. Unlike Superfamily, Clint and Natasha do not have a consistent canon character in the Marvel universe who acts as their child. Because of this, their child is often an original character. Gif sets on Tumblr for the Romanoff-Barton family tend to take scenes from non-Marvel movies in which Scarlett Johansson or Jeremy Renner interact with children
Other Domestic Avengers Pairings
Gif sets, fan art, and fanfiction have been made about various pairings. Other popular family pairings include Bruce/Natasha and Phil/Nick, the latter of which plays with the idea that all six Avengers are their children.
Gen Domestic Avengers
Not all fanworks that fall under the Domestic Avenger fandom contain (or are centered around) a particular pairing. Many fanworks are simply based on the premise that The Avengers live together. These typically have more fluff and bantering than the romantic Domestic Avengers fanfics.
Stories in which the domestic situation involves crossover characters are reasonably common; the most common trope is adoption of Harry Potter by one or another of the Avengers, or the discovery that he is the long-lost son of Tony Stark or another Avenger.
- New York State Laws & Regulations for Child Care by Tieleen, where the Avengers team adopt a young Scott Summers
Domestic Avengers Fan Communities
- Everything Domestic
- Domestic Avengers
- Domestic Avengers - Tumblr tag
- Domestic Avengers - AO3 tag
- The Avengers Shouldn't Text - Gen
- Fuck Yeah Team Shawarma - Gen
Superfamily/Superhusbands Fan Communities
- Superfamily Texts - Tumblr
- Stony Texts - Tumblr
- Ask Peter Parker-Rogers-Stark - Tumblr
- Suuper Husbands - Tumblr
- Superfamily - Tumblr tag
- Superhusbands - Tumblr tag
- Superhusbands - AO3 tag
- Superfamily - AO3 tag
Notable Domestic Avengers Fanworks
- What You're Made Of by nightrider101 The Avengers gravitate toward each other, a relationship borne of close calls and sacrifice. Tony struggles to understand, but whether it takes a nudge or a shove, he’s got a whole team prepared to help him figure it out. (Avengers OT6 hurt/comfort, Tony-centric)
- In Which Tony Start Builds Himself Some Friends (But His Family Was Assigned by Nick Fury) and Phil Coulson's Case Files of the Toasterverse by scifigrl47 Avengers/Marvel Cinematic Universe short stories all taking place in the same universe (known as the Toasterverse), focusing on the Avengers being domestic and living together, and featuring various OCs. Pairings: Steve Rogers/Tony Stark and Clint Barton/Phil Coulson