New Mexico, USA
|Relationships:||Assistant to Jane Foster and Erik Selvig, Ian Boothby (Darcy's intern and love interest)|
|Fandom:||Thor (film), MCU|
|Other:||Darcy Lewis is played by Kat Dennings|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Darcy Lewis is a character in the films Thor and Thor: The Dark World. Although she was a minor character in the films, the fandom for Darcy is quite large.
Darcy is introduced as an the assistant to astrophysicist Dr. Jane Foster, and by association Erik Selvig when he joins them in New Mexico prior to the opening of the film. She is the one to tazer Human!Thor after he arrived on Earth. She's a political science grad student that only got hired by Jane because she was the only applicant. When Jane's notes and research was taken by S.H.I.E.L.D., she was shown to be more concerned about her iPod. She demonstrates some hacking ability in Thor and in the second Marvel Comics prelude to Thor: The Dark World.
Darcy's role in the movie was relatively small, but she impressed fandom with her tazering of human!Thor. Partly because of this Darcy has been happily claimed by fandom as the best Mary Sue ever. Some fans suggest that Darcy's characterization has been influenced by actress Kat Dennings' role on the CBS sitcom 2 Broke Girls. Much to the appreciation of the Darcy's fandom, Darcy gains a lot more screen time in the second film.
Common Tropes & Themes
The main Darcy-related tropes involve her love of tazers, her iPod, her snarky attitude, and her amazing body. 
- Although Darcy doesn't appear in the Avengers 2012 movie, fanon has her living the Avengers Tower and/or working for S.H.I.E.L.D.:
- Everyone Is Related trope is also popular for her as she is often shown to be a daughter (or niece/granddaughter/sibling/etc. of one of the Avengers characters.
- The most common example of this: Tony Stark is revealed to be her father, commonly tagged as Darcy Lewis is Tony Stark's Daughter
- She's also been related to Howard Stark, Phil Coulson, Betty Ross, Peggy Carter & Sharon Carter, Nick Fury (as his stepdaughter or adopted daughter) and Maria Hill.
- Several stories portray her as Hel, Loki's daughter and queen of the Asgardian underworld, taking time off in disguise on Earth, tagged as Hel Darcy Lewis.
- Darcy can be referred to as the Little Black Dress for the MCU since she has been paired up with all the characters in MCU (and in various crossovers). Due to everyone shipping her with everyone or at least multiple characters, "Darcyland" is a popular phrase used to refer to Darcy shipping fans.
- Darcy is often portrayed as Jewish; this is mainly believed to be practically canon to the fandom due to Kat Dennings being Jewish.
- Darcy is frequently shown in Bakery AUs/Coffee Shop AUs or in other situations where she is an amazing cook or baker. This is inspired by Kat Denning's role as Max Black in 2 Broke Girls who can bake amazing cupcakes.
- She's usually the character that starts an Avengers family dinner night tradition.
- Bros with Jane Foster, Thor, Erik Selvig, Jarvis, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Bruce Banner and/or Hulk, Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, Johnny Storm, Sue Storm, Pepper Potts, Tony Stark, and with the release of Cap2 - Sam Wilson and the release of Avengers 2 - Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Plus various characters in crossover works.
- In same-actor crossovers, Darcy is often disguised as Max Black (put through witness-protection by Shield) or related by blood (example: twin or cousin).
- Soulmates/Soulmarks AUs is very popular trope in the Darcyland - Darcy is paired up with any and all Marvel Characters and various crossover characters. Often appears as one story but with multiple chapters with one or more pairings of Darcy's.
- Powered!Darcy - Darcy is often a supernatural creature (for example, Darcy as a jinn) or mutant. If she's a mutant, it often brings the X-Men in the story.
Darcy as a Mary Sue
- I think a fair amount of Darcy's popularity comes from the opportunities to write absolutely classic chicklit with her. You blinded me with political science is a great example: You get young, snarky, ambitious female character in the big city for the first time, learning to deal with hot men, getting access to awesome female role models, exploring a bit about how the Avengers fit into the world with normal people in it, and just coming of age. I mean, you get a lot of straight romance with her, but most of what I see really is much more about Darcy growing as a person than hooking her up with people.
- And I love that! I've never actually seen coming of age stories written for female characters in this volume in fandom before. Hermione probably has as many, but the fics for her were much more likely to be focused on romance. She actually reminds me most, fandom-wise, of Draco: Fairly minor character who got extremely popular only partially because it seemed like he was going to be a much more major character than he was. Most of his appeal came from the ability to be snarky and the fact that he provided a window into a world that canon didn't explore with the whole old pureblood family thing.
- I think a thing with that kind of character that most the people who hate their inexplicable popularity miss is the ability to explore the world that canon is set in from an angle the heroes can't. It's kind of a different mindset? Most fanfic is about exploring the main characters and their relationships. That kind of character tends to be looser about the character itself, but it on average explores the world that canon provides in much more depth than the stuff focused on the major characters, and that is a vastly underutilized resource in fanfic imo. I love worldbuilding, and it's hard to find good fic dealing with that.
- And honestly, I am really irritated by the self-insert accusation. Not really because I think it's entirely wrong, but because I've never once seen a male character written in a similar self-inserty manner get that accusation. I've seen Clint's characterization criticized for everything under the sun but being a self-insert, and I think he is absolutely at least as much a self-insert as Darcy, and on average much more poorly written to boot. Sometimes she's a self-insert, great. So's Clint, so's Tony, so Harry Potter, so's Draco Malfoy, so's Neville, so's more characters than I can count. People self-insert across genderlines, universe, and I am really sick of the underlying assumption that only self-inserts of the same gender somehow count. 
- I've also seen her written as a very ditzy, patronizing caricature of a teenager, instead of a college-aged woman who is interning with a scientist and managing to do a good job despite it not being in her field. I've seen her reduced to her cup-size (which as a very busty woman, offends me on a personal level), and just....
- Fandom treats her as if using Facebook means she's vapid and has no interests behind the surface or Internet memes. The woman is a political scientist, for god's sake, but good luck fandom remembering it. 
On the other hand, the only thing that really is written differently and might be OOC is Darcy's sexuality - since we can assume she’s a wise-cracking, tech-savvy chick, but we were not given much toward sexuality:
- I think the only thing I’m not entirely sure about that has us all split is how comfortable she is with her sexuality. For one, I don’t think she’s as much of a “bad girl” as some fics lead on, but to each their own. I mean, take the CPR comment into consideration, and then that deleted scene with Fandral where she “enjoys the attention” … I think she’s semi comfortable with it and I doubt she’d jump into bed with anyone immediately like some write her, but that’s just me.
- Overall, a lot of it is taking what we’re giving and building on it. We’re not entirely projecting ourselves onto her, or we’re not taking her and starting from scratch like we’re accused of. We have enough material that we do, in fact, have a lot to work with. Most people who question [it] just haven’t seen it that way. 
Darcy is featured in a variety of both het and femslash pairings. All of them are fanon, due to the fact that in the first movie there is no knowledge that Darcy is in a relationship with anyone. She shows harmless attraction to Thor Odinson with Jane Foster in the first film, and in background/deleted scenes with Fandral. In the second Thor film, she gains an intern, Ian Boothby whom later becomes a love interest for Darcy.
List of Darcy Ships
- See more examples in Darcyland article.
- Darcy/Steve Rogers
- Darcy/Steve Rogers/Bucky Barnes
- Darcy/Bucky Barnes
- Darcy/Tony Stark
- Darcy/Clint Barton
- Darcy/Bruce Banner
- Darcy/Phil Coulson
Various crossover pairings feature Darcy as well, the most common would be with Johnny "Human Torch" Storm of the Fantastic Four Films, which is usually associated with the Darcy/Steve pairing due to the fact that Johnny resembles Steve (Chris Evans plays both characters which is the main reasoning for resemblance).
- See Darcyland for a list of Darcy pairings that have shipping fanworks.
- Prompt Reply by twistedingenue, Darcy and Betty Ross are cousins, and finally meet again.
- Sisters of the Apocalypse by Caiti, Four sisters have been separated for time untold. They have been reunited......and the world should tremble. (Darcy Lewis, Betty Ross, Natasha Romanoff, and Pepper Potts)
- Internship by Salmon_Pink, MCU/Amazing Spider-Man, Rated Mature Darcy needs a new intern, and she's determined to keep things professional this time. Thanks to Gwen, it doesn't quite work out how she planned. (Darcy/Gwen)
- sushi pajamas (and other weapons of mass destruction) by sevenfoxes, rated Teen, Seven times the Avengers' weapons have liked Darcy better (and one time the Avenger liked her even more). Because who the hell wouldn't? (Teamfic, eventually Darcy/Steve)
- I'm Gonna Be A Part Of It (Whether I Want To Or Not) by fringedweller, primarily a Darcy gets her life together, with Bruce Banner/Darcy Lewis pairing
- Five times everything was shiny and one time it wasn't by Jadzia_Bear, Firefly crossover, So what if his new cook is guileless and resilient and quick-witted and kind. If there’s one thing Malcolm Reynolds knows how to do, it’s keep his hands off a compelling and beautiful brunette. (Darcy/Mal Reynolds)
- write love on my skin by amusewithaview, various Darcy Soulmates AU pairings
- The Queen of Helheim and the Secret Agent by TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel, In which Darcy Lewis is actually Hel Lokisdottir, Queen of Helheim, and Phil Coulson is the badass secret agent we all know and love. (Darcy/Coulson)
- She Blinded Me With Political Science by thingswithteeth, Darcy watched the Avengers defend New York from over two thousand miles away. She could look out her window if she wanted to watch the aftermath. She watches the news instead, and realizes one very important thing: the Avengers have a bit of a PR problem. (Darcy/Bruce)
- Darcy and her Ipod, artwork by Marla Rose.
- Darcy from Thor 2 art
- Avengers HS AU girls, a fanart of Darcy, Jane, and Natasha in a High School AU
- Thor: Darcy by annARTism
- Darcy and Idris (from the dragon verse by Merideath) by Vylla
- Darcy Lewis by Vylla
- The Taser Queen by EternalLoveDreamer, a humor vid.
- Not My Name by Trille Always
- So Easy to Fall For by SweetestGale, Darcy/Everyone
- Girl on Fire by TheLastGhostGirl
- My Skin by Phenomenon175, an AU Darcy has cancer (Darcy/Wade, Darcy & Clint, Darcy/Logan)
- Super Critical by Yve. C
Archives and Communities
- Works tagged with Darcy Lewis on Archive Of Our Own
- Tazer Shock, a Darcy fanfic archive.
- Going on Facebook, a Darcy Lewis Fic Exchange
- FyeahDarcyLewis tag "cosplay"
- Unexpected things for fandom to fetish... (Accessed Aug. 6, 2012)
- SHIP DARCY WITH ALL THE THINGS tag on AO3
- Things You Would Not Admit Unanon (Accessed Sept. 24, 2012)
- Comment by ashen_key in the post Avengers Fandom, Please. Thread started November 14 2012. Last accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Comment by Watson_a_time in the post My Two Cents on the Why is Darcy this way in fanon