Daredevil (TV series)
Based upon: Daredevil by Stan Lee and Bill Everett
|Date(s):||April 10, 2015|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- Characters introduced in season 1
- Matt Murdock/Daredevil, a blind lawyer who has heightened senses.
- Foggy Nelson, Matt's close friend and law partner.
- Karen Page, a quest for justice sends her crashing into Matt's life; becomes Nelson & Murdock's secretary.
- Wilson Fisk, a powerful businessman whose interests in the future of Hell's Kitchen.
- Vanessa Marianna, an art gallery employee and Fisk's love interest.
- James Wesley, Fisk's right hand man.
- Ben Urich, a investigative journalist for the New York Bulletin.
- Claire Temple, a night nurse that helps Matt with various injuries.
- Brett Mahoney, a police officer that knows Matt & Foggy.
- Marci Stahl, a lawyer and ex-girlfriend of Foggy.
- Characters introduced in season 2,
The Netflix television series has also introduced many new fans to the series and boosted fannish activity within the Daredevil fandom community. In the first month after the series' appearance, nearly 850 related works were created or updated on AO3, as well as innumerable dedicated Tumblr blogs.
Fan Call for Visual Description Audio
When the series first appeared on Netflix, the show wasn't accessible to all fans - the show didn't feature a "visual description" audio that would make it accessible for blind fans. A petition was made for it do be done (Tag: #dare2describe), which was successful five days later with only 3,666 signatures. (Given the time frame required to create descriptive audio for a television show, the work was likely already well underway before the petition surfaced. Netflix chose to roll out the service for Daredevil first, possibly because of the petition or because of the association with a blind leading character.)
Photosets and gifsets are common on Tumblr. Some highlight particular episodes, themes, characters, or relationships within the show. Others draw parallels between the televised and comic-book versions. A number are also dedicated to the show's exceptional use of visual imagery, silhouette, and scenery.
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Nelson & Murdock: Avocados At Law
- Marvel Cinematic Universe canon characters, especially Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, and various other Avengers.
- Other Marvel titles such as Punisher's Frank Castle and the future Netflix shows that would focus on Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, which each own series would lead to a spin-off team TV series, The Defenders.
- "Dumpster Bros" between Matt Murdock and Clint Barton is fairly popular which started by a headcanon on Tumblr
- In an episode, it was revealed that Matt stayed at St. Agnes orphanage, this connects with AOS character Skye who was there before running away. Many fans took this fact and ran with the possibility of Matt & Skye being there at the same time - even becoming friends.
- Crossover with Arrow is popular on Tumblr especially due to popular ship of Vigilante Lawyers (Matt/Laurel Lance).
Connections with Other Fandoms
As part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the series takes place in the same world as The Avengers Movieverse and their related film and television works, effectively canonizing the potential for a wide range of crossover art and fics. In addition, the series' stars are familiar to fans from other properties - Deborah Ann Woll from True Blood, Elden Henson from The Hunger Games, Charlie Cox from Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey - opening up even more crossover possibilities as well as the potential for fannish drift.
With the introduction of the Punisher in season 2, fans began pairing main characters with Punisher's alter ego Frank Castle. The het pairing of Frank Castle/Karen Page began in season 2, and has continued to grow following their interactions in the Punisher (TV series). The gen pairing of these two characters is also popular within the Daredevil (TV) fandom. In season 2, the slash pairing of Frank Castle/Matt Murdock also became quite popular.
The vast comic-book history of course offers much more shipping opportunities.
- Avocados At Law is the pairing name for Matt/Foggy.
- Clairedevil is the pairing name for Matt/Claire.
- Karedevil is the pairing name for Matt/Karen.
- Kastle is the pairing name for Karen/Frank.
- Vigilante Lawyers is the pairing name for Matt Murdock/Laurel Lance.
- See List of MCU Relationship Names.
- Paravigilante by turtle_paced, gen Foggy & Matt, Being besties with a guy who runs around in a mask at night beating up criminals has its issues. Or so Foggy’s coming to realize.
- Soon As The Sun Sets by plinys, gen or pre-relationship Foggy & Matt & Karen, “The longer you wait, the more it’s going to hurt when she finds out."
- Darkest Before the Dawn by latbfan, Matt & Karen, The missing scene from Matt's apartment at the end of "Into the Ring" (1.1) after Karen sneaks out and meets up with Daredevil at her apartment.
- No Thinking For A Little While. by kittenstanley, Matt/Karen/Foggy, Mature, 'It all starts with a crooked sign and a poorly planned movie night. (Post 1x13)
- Matt Punches a Robot, and Other Stories by Hinn_Raven, Matt/Karen/Foggy, Claire Temple & The Avengers, In which Matt fights robots, Karen figures it out, Foggy sues Iron Man, and Tony Stark gets punched. (Post 1x13/Age of Ultron & mentions of The Defenders)
- not so daring by theappleppielifestyle, Matt/Foggy, Foggy, you need to calm down, this isn’t a big deal, it was in college, it’s not like you’re still in love with me.”
- Training Buddies by Fyre, Matt & Bucky Barnes, Sometimes the random guy in the street isn't out to get you.
- of all the fights in all the back alleys in all of new York by ataxophilia, Matt & Clint, “Huh.” Clint runs a hand through his hair again, stumped – but amused – by this development. “Deaf and blind. This is like something out of a sitcom.”
- Something Dumb to Do by poisonivory. Matt/Foggy, Marriage of Convenience: "If Matt and Foggy get married, Foggy will never be forced to testify against Daredevil. It doesn't mean anything has to change, right?"
- Daredevils Don't Drink Decaf by ChuckleVoodoos. Matt/Foggy, Coffee Shop AU: "In which Foggy uses his law degree to peddle coffee to unsuspecting caffeine junkies, and Matt is his favorite customer. Who may or may not be Batman."
- The Ultimate Double Dare by vibishan. Frank Castle/Matt Murdock, slow burn, marriage proposal, fix-it.
- When Your Arms Are Too Weary by poisonivory. Matt/Foggy, Wingfic:“What,” Foggy says. His parents exchange glances. “You’re an angel. Literally,” his mother says.
- World On Fire
- Beautiful Crime Music Video
- Hunt You Down
- The Mighty Fall
- Ain't Comin Back
- We Promised the World We'd Tame It
- everybody wants to rule the world
- Your Ideology (s1)
- No Rest for the Wicked
- Daredevil gets knocked down
- Human (Frank Castle)
- closer (Matt & Karen & Claire)
- Love Hurts (Matt/Claire)
- Hero or Monster (Karen/Frank)
Archives & Fannish Links
- Tumblr tags: daredevil netflix, Netflix daredevil, marvel's daredevil, daredevil 2015, daredeviledit - Although many fans just simply use Daredevil
- Hell's Kitchen
- Netflix Marvel Ladies (includes Daredevil)