The Avengers Movieverse
|Name:||Marvel's The Avengers|
Avengers Assemble (UK and Ireland)
The Avengers Movieverse
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Avengers: Infinity War
|Creator:||Based on the comics and characters by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby|
The Avengers & Age of Ultron
Joss Whedon (Director & screenplay), Zak Penn (screenplay)
Infinity War & Endgame
Anthony Russo & Joe Russo (director), Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (screenplay)
|Date(s):||2012, 2015, 2018, 2019|
|Medium:||Live-action film series|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Wikipedia IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The first movie, The Avengers ("Avengers Assemble" in the United Kingdom), was released May 2012. Nick Fury assembled six superheroes to form the Avengers team, which saved the planet from Loki and his army of Chitauri. Movies that contributed characters were:
The second movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, was released in May 2015. The Avengers fought against Ultron, a supercomputer made by Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. The original Avengers team was expanded to include Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, War Machine and Quicksilver. Age of Ultron followed these movies in the franchise:
The third movie, Avengers: Infinity War, was released in April 2018. The Avengers team up with the other members of the MCU (Black Panther, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) and fought against Thanos, an alien that is in search for the infinity stones and wants to destroy the universe. Infinity War followed these movies in the franchise:
- Captain America: Civil War
- Doctor Strange
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Black Panther (2018)
The fourth movie, Avengers: Endgame, was released in April 2019. The Avengers deal with the aftermath of Thanos and the disappearance of their teammates, they join together to find a way to save them. Endgame immediately follows Infinity War, but also follows two other movies in the franchise:
Characters are sorted by the Avengers film they were introduced in, most of the characters appeared in the other films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe first.
Fanfiction started being written for the film well in advance of it coming out - a kink meme was opened in October 2011, and as of early December it had over 300 stories on Archive of Our Own. Many fanworks incorporate aspects of canon from the comics, the Captain America, Iron Man and Thor films, as well as the trailer and spoilers from the film itself, often making it difficult to say precisely which fandom a work belongs to.
The Avengers has been criticized by some fans as being a sausage-fest. Other fans have praised the representation of Natasha Romanoff and Maria Hill, while being saddened by the lack of Betty Ross.   . There was criticism that Clint Barton wasn't depicted as deaf/hearing impaired. AOU has been criticized on many fronts: The casting and backstory of Wanda Maximoff and Pietro Maximoff was whitewashed and runs counter to their comicverse background, Natasha Romanoff's storyline is inconsistent (Natasha/Bruce romance) and sexist/illogical (infertility/monster talk). Clint's storyline is also criticized, but many still like it. Just days after the film was released, Joss Whedon deleted his twitter account with no reason given (many believe it's because of the backlash from feminists due to Natasha's storyline).
Characters & Pairings
- See Category:The Avengers Relationships for more ships.
- Steve Rogers/Tony Stark -- Popularity began long before The Avengers, based on existing comicverse fandom, the Iron Man Movieverse, and the trailers for Captain America: The First Avenger and the The Avengers.
- Steve Rogers/James "Bucky" Barnes -- Popularity rose quickly after Captain America: The First Avenger movie
- Clint Barton/Phil Coulson -- Also popular in advance of The Avengers premier, based on a brief radio interaction in Thor (film) .
- Clint Barton/Natasha Romanoff -- Minor to nonexistent before The Avengers, but quickly became the most popular het pairing.
- Pepper Potts/Tony Stark -- The most popular canon pairing, though it's more often a past or background pairing.
- Loki/Tony Stark -- Another pairing that was pretty much nonexistent prior to The Avengers but quickly grew in popularity.
- Loki/Thor -- This pairing was a carryover from Thor.
- Jane Foster/Thor
- Bruce Banner/Tony Stark -- Another pairing that was pretty much nonexistent prior to The Avengers but quickly grew in popularity.
- Clint Barton/Pietro Maximoff has gained a substantial following after AOU, catchphrase "You didn't see that coming?".
- Clint Barton/Loki is a very rare pairing, usually a background pairing
Clint Barton/Darcy Lewis was a surprisingly popular pairing prior to the release of The Avengers based on their appearances in Thor -- though they never actually interacted in that movie -- but its popularity fell off after The Avengers. Pepper Potts/Natasha Romanoff is the most popular femslash pairing, but it is still fairly rare.
Tony Stark is the little black dress of the fandom, being paired with any character from MCU or comicverse alike. In general, fans are more likely to have multiple ships than to engage in ship wars. Threesome fics are relatively common, as are OT6 or OTEveryone fics. AO3 even has an "Everyone is Poly Because Avengers" tag.
- SuperWhoAvengeLock - Avengers/Supernatural/Doctor Who/Sherlock BBC crossover
- AvengeWho - Avengers/Doctor Who crossover
The fandom has gotten extremely creative with ship names; while the portmanteau ship names like "Stony" for Steve/Tony or "Clintasha" for Clint/Natasha are present, fans often prefer more whimsical names: "FrostIron" for Loki/Tony, "Science Bros/Boyfriends" for Bruce/Tony, "Super Husbands" for Steve/Tony, "SHIELD Husbands" for Clint/Coulson, and (possibly most beloved) "Stark Spangled Banner" for Tony/Steve/Bruce.
- See List of MCU Pairing Names for more pairing names.
Common Tropes & Fanon
Pre-The Avengers Release
- Darcy Lewis is a main character.
- They all live in the Avengers mansion.
- Someone (e.g. Tony, Darcy) relieves Steve of his "frozen in the ice for decades"-related virginity.
- See also Ways in which the Avengers film has already disappointed us all by not living up to the fanfic by brownbetty.
- Superhusbands adopt Peter Parker, becoming the Superfamily.
- Domestic Avengers
Post-The Avengers Release
- Fix-it fic for Coulson's death. Many of these fics will soon be either validated or Jossed, as Coulson is alive in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
- Curtainfic, whole team or individual characters.
- Superfamily, Domestic Avengers
- Coffee Shop AU, College AU
- Characters help Steve lose his virginity (e.g. Natasha, Tony and Pepper in a threesome).
- Steve gets to know the modern world, with help or on his own.
- They all move into Stark Tower.
- Tony seduces Bruce with science and lab equipment. 
- When a character is injured, Clint watches over them via air vents. 
- Tony grants sentience to random appliances in the Tower.
- Fury apologizes to Coulson for ruining his Captain America trading cards. Alternately, someone else (e.g. Steve) tracks down a new set.
- Due to the post-credits scene, the characters eat a lot of shawarma in fanfic and fanart.
- Avengers Movie Night (sometimes on Thursdays, because villains know better than to disturb Thor on his day - this primarily originated in scifigrl47's Toasterverse).
- Avengers Family dinner night(s)
- The Avengers & co get de-aged (some examples & more examples)
Pre-Age of Ultron Release
- Clint Barton's Farm
- Sam Wilson joining the team.
- Bucky Barnes joining the team, or at least recuperating at the Avengers Tower.
- Everyone, including Darcy Lewis, Jane Foster, Sam Wilson, and Bucky Barnes, live in the Avengers/Stark Tower in NYC
Post-Age of Ultron Release
- Fix it fic for Pietro Maximoff's death (Dr. Helen Cho saves him, Wanda brings him back, etc.).
- Clint Barton adopting or just taking in Pietro & Wanda after the film.
- fix it fics for Clintasha shippers, or threesomes with Clint/Laura/Natasha.
- The Grandmaster will kill Thanos to protect his sugar baby, Loki. Mostly expressed as a meme or a joke.
- Thanos's Snap, Disintegration Effect, and Peter Parker's "Mr. Stark I don't feel so good"
- Infinity War Is The Most Ambitious Crossover Event In History
- Thanus Theory: a half-crack, half-serious theory describing how Scott Lang (Ant-Man) defeats Thanos by shrinking, crawling up the titan's butt, and expanding again
- See also Category:The Avengers Fanfiction.
- A.I.s and Lullabies by Echo. Gen teamfic, de-aged Tony.
- Improvise by jenna_thorn. Gen teamfic, outsider POV. The Avengers go to the State Fair (written pre movie-release).
- Exclusive by sam_storyteller, gen teamfic.
- Conjugate by valtyr, gen teamfic.
- Ironsides, by copperbadge. Steve/Tony with Always-A-Girl!Antonia Stark.
- I Trust You to Kill Me by ghostrunner Clint/Coulson. POV Most people find Specialist Barton so annoying as to be impossible to work with. Agent Coulson is made of sterner stuff.
- Run Program: DUM-E by Amuly. Steve/Tony, told from DUM-E's perspective. Formatted entirely as command codes.
- So No One Told You by kari_kurofai. An in-progress modern AU based on the television show Friends.
- Stark, A.E., and Banner, R. Bruce. (2013). "Biodosimetric Tools for Measuring Induced Isomeric Transition in Inverted Paired States." International Journal of Radiation Biology 89.9, 43-85 by thingswithwings. Bruce/Tony with background Tony/Pepper. Bruce & Tony experiment until they find a way around Bruce's giant green cockblock.
- Talking Trash and Wasting Time by Victoria P. Darcy/Clint, teamfic. The Avengers go drinking a lot (written pre movie-release).
- Toasterverse by scifigrl47: In Which Tony Stark Builds Himself Some Friends (But His Family Was Assigned by Nick Fury) and Phil Coulson's Case Files of the Toasterverse. Steve/Tony with background Clint/Coulson. >400,000 words and still ongoing.
- Tricks of the Trade by Like_A_Hurricane. Loki/Tony, drawing on significant comic background.
- See also Category:The Avengers Art
- Family Assemble! by *Andry-Shango
- MCU ladies at a girls’ nights, featuring Pepper Potts, Natasha Romanoff, Darcy Lewis, Betty Ross, and Jane Foster.
- Shawarma Party by kirapop
- Lady Avengers Wallpaper, a Gender Swap manip wallpaper of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Loki.
- Avengers Assemble by Matryxx
- untitled by rapputikin.
- catch the moment by RinGreen
- once again ! by RinGreen
- THE AVENGERS by Hallpen
- the avengers by dogsup
- lil avengers by hallpen (de-aged)
- Harry Potter/Avengers AU & Second Post The Avengers are a team of Witches and Wizards fighting against the Dark Lord Thanos. Tony is the mad Wizarding inventor who is a genius with a wand. Bruce is a part-time healer, full-time shape-shifting werewolf. Clint and Natasha are Unspeakables. Thor is a Quidditch beater. And Auror Steve has one hell of a shield charm. (Oh, and Loki is a Death Eater, which no one is surprised about)
- beard bros by mechinaries (Infinity War: Steve, Thor, T'Challa, and Bucky)
- Spider-Man and Shuri by toastchild (Infinity War inspired)
- See also Category:The Avengers Vids
- You, Me and Steve by nel_ani
- Remember the Name by gabygal7.
- Blow by Sparralex.
- SAIL by sheryloh.
- Blame it on my own sick pride by xTheHarlequinDevilx.
- Comeback by Anniechst.
- we're going down by VilyaXxX0llwyna.
- Burn it to the Ground by TheNewPietroZanini.
- Marvel's Avengers - Moves like Jagger - ALL THE MOVES by UhJesusFREAK.
- "Zone out so much attention" by xTheHarlequinDevilx, a The Avengers cast Tribute vid.
- It's Time | Full MEP by sheryloh, a MCU, X-Men Movieverse, X-Men: First Class multi-fandom vid.
- Marvel Musical by AnimatedJames
- remember me for centuries by green166apple, a MCU, X-Men Movieverse, The Amazing Spider-Man multi-fandom vid.
Age of Ultron
Infinity War (spoilers are only for what was shown in trailers unless otherwise stated)
- Whatever It Takes by MonikaProdz
- Come Together by TheNerdyBoii
- Centuries by Top Screen
- Heroes In The Darkest Times by MonikaProdz
- Game of Survival by CoralRiggs5 (spoilers)
- Legends Never Die by flowerxxwhite
- We Will Rock You by Ak Editx
- The Avengers - Ashes by Celine Dion (Infinity War Spoilers) by ReikaJen
Additional Art Gallery
The Avengers by Aseo
The Avengers by Soph-LW
The Avengers by Jegang
Avenging Angels by brilcrist
Sailor Avengers by nna
Archives and Fannish Links
- See Category:The Avengers Communities for more pages.
- avengerkink - Kink Meme
- avengersgen - gen commentfic
- Avengers Blend - Discussion and fanworks
- All the Avengers, All the Slash - slash
- Avengers Remix - Fic exchange
- Avengers Big Bang
- Marvel POC Fanworks Exchange
- MCU Femslash - Femslash specific fanwork comm.
- Tumblr tags: the avengers 2012, avengers age of ultron, age of ultron, aou, a:aou, avengers infinity war, infinity war, iw, a:iw, aiw, avengers: endgame, avengers 4, avengers endgame, avengers eg, endgame, eg, a:eg
- MCU Bingo
- Hey, That's My Cape! AVENGERS: Earth's Mightiest Boys Club by Jill Pantozzi @ Newsarama; "That is one big sausage fest." 25 August 2011 (accessed 6 December 2011).
- In which I make a joke, then get all gross on you. by Brigid on Dreamwidth; "Actually, my very first thought was “Wow, what a sausage fest!”", 25 October 2011 (accessed 6 December 2011).
- New Giant Character Banners for the Avengers @ Tor.com. Hapax, in comments, "Yeah, we knew it was going to be a sausage-fest, but those posters really bring it home. :-(", 18 November 2011 (accessed 6 December 2011).
- soooo, that movie about the superheroes by Recessional on Dreamwidth, May 4th, accessed May 7th 2012.
- OKAY but why did whedon make natasha think of herself as a monster because she can’t bear children for the purpose of equating herself with bruce??
- Entertainment Geekly: The Black Widow Conundrum
- Why Age of Ultron wasn’t sexist towards Black Widow
- This is Why Black Widow Got Slut-Shamed. Playboy.
- why ultimates!clint is impractical and poor writing
- I’m actually kind of torn on Clint’s storyline?
- hawkeye fans are angry, including me. to truly understand why we’re angry about [insert spoiler here, you have to understand the background and why it’s a disservice to the clint barton we know and love.]
- Joss Whedon Deletes Twitter Account After Rabid Feminist ‘Avengers’ Backlash
- Steve/Tony tag on AO3, 8042 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- "Bucky" Barnes*s*Steve Rogers/works Steve/Bucky tag on AO3, 7370 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Clint/Coulson tag on AO3, 6199 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Clint/Natasha tag on AO3, 5126 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Pepper/Tony tag on AO3, 4327 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Loki/Tony tag on AO3, 4066 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Loki/Thor tag on AO3, 3832 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Jane/Thor tag on AO3, 2469 works as of 5 Dic 2014.
- Bruce/Tony tag on AO3, 2242 works as of 28 June 2013.
- http://archiveofourown.org/works/404042, http://archiveofourown.org/works/428431. Accessed 16 June, 2012.
- http://archiveofourown.org/works/547763, http://archiveofourown.org/works/557045. Accessed 14 March, 2013
- Disintegration Effect / I Don't Feel So Good