Black Panther (2018)
|Creator:||Ryan Coogler (writer and director); Joe Robert Cole (writer)|
|Country of Origin:||US|
|External Links:||Black Panther on Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Black Panther is a 2018 superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character T'Challa, produced by Marvel Studios. It is part of the greater MCU canon and continues T'Challa's storyline seen in Captain America: Civil War.
The 18th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series, Black Panther was released in February 2018 starring Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther, Michael B. Jordan as Erik "Killmonger" Stevens, Lupita Nyong'o as Nakia, Danai Gurira as Okoye, Letitia Wright as Shuri, Daniel Kaluuya as W'Kabi, Winston Duke as M'Baku, and Martin Freeman as Everett K. Ross.
The character of T'Challa was introduced to the MCU in Captain America: Civil War, where he spent much of the movie seeking vengeance for the death of his father T'Chaka at the hands of Helmut Zemo. Black Panther picks up T'Challa's story one week after the events of Civil War, beginning with the events surrounding his succession to the throne of the fictional African nation of Wakanda.
A key conflict within the film is the question of whether the traditionally isolationist Wakanda should do anything with its highly advanced technology and vast stores of valuable vibranium to intervene in other parts of the world.
There are two end-credits scenes at the end of Black Panther. The first shows T'Challa speaking to an assembly of the United Nations, where he announces that Wakanda will begin to share its knowledge and resources with the rest of the world. This scene closely follows up on the promise of the movie's conclusion, which featured Shuri and T'Challa revealing their technology to a group of children in Oakland, California, while planning to open the first site of scientific and technological exchange between Wakanda and the United States. Both scenes can be understood as paving the way for the characters of Black Panther to be further integrated into future MCU storylines.
Ryan Coogler, the writer and director of Black Panther, has described the United Nations scene as a direct homage to the first Iron Man movie:
“'I saw Iron Man the first day it opened,' Coogler told io9. 'I was at film school the day it came out. I was in Los Angeles. Iron Man is the first movie I saw at the Arclight, which is like my favorite theater in Los Angeles. What I thought was great about Iron Man, which [Marvel does] a great job of in their movies, is that it feels like it’s happening in our world even though it’s not. Los Angeles looks like Los Angeles. Iron Man flies around and it feels like he lives in New York. The Iron Man press conference looks like our press conference. It feels tactile. I wanted to do that with Wakanda.'”
In the second post-credits scene, the viewer sees Wakanda through the eyes of Bucky Barnes, also known as the Winter Soldier, as he wakes up to find a group of Wakandan children peering down at him. Outside, Barnes encounters a waiting Shuri; it appears that she has undone Barnes' psychological conditioning. This scene serves as a kind of sequel to one of the post-credits scenes of Captain America: Civil War, in which Barnes was put into medical stasis in Wakanda until his brainwashing could be reversed. In this scene, Barnes is called "White Wolf" by several Wakandans; this has been largely received as a reference to the Marvel Comics character of the same name: Hunter, who becomes known as the White Wolf.
- Get Together is one of the most common tropes for the first two pairings listed above.
- Erik Killmonger Lives - In these fics it's usually T'Challa who doesn't respect Erik's last wish and saves his life. Following his recovery Erik may be imprisoned, or make reparations to the people of Wakanda in another way. These works often involve the rehabilitation of Killmonger and family reconciliations.
- Meeting the Avengers - Many fics imagine the first meetings between Black Panther characters and other Marvel characters. Most popular among these include Shuri meeting Peter Parker
Prior to the movie's release, many fans had been anticipating shipping T'Challa with the movie's antagonist, Erik "Killmonger" Stevens. This anticipation was fuelled in part by Michael B. Jordan stating that the two characters have a "Magneto/Professor X type of chemistry," as the characters he referred to (Charles Xavier/Erik Lehnsherr) have long been a popular pairing in the X-Men fandom. After the film revealed that T'Challa and Stevens are first cousins, fandom became divided over the T'Challa/Erik ship, with some disavowing it after discovering the pairing represented a form of incest.
Prior to the release of Black Panther, there was already a concern that predominantly white fanfic writers, unfamiliar with writing fics focused on POC, may inadvertently rely on racial stereotypes of black masculinity and sexuality in BP fanworks. Many fans were conscious of these issues and sought advice on how to appropriately tell the stories they wanted.  Some fans believe writers should not create works based in this fandom unless they are black. While others went so far as to call non-Black BP writers racist.
Meta and Education
- A long list of meta articles and opinion pieces, "The Black Panther Reader", has been compiled by Roberto “Tito” Soto-Carrion and made available via Google Docs.
- The Warnings Against Toxic Masculinity in Black Panther (2018)
- A Chicago teacher made a "Wakanda Curriculum" for grade school children and made it available via Google Docs. It was redistributed by Toolbox for Educational and Social Activism (TESA). The 48-page document includes questions about motivation, character analysis, and powers of three characters, encouraging a fannish dialogue to occur with the text. The curriculum asks for interpretations, conversation, and includes links to additional resources on topics such as colonialism, anti-blackness, and the emerging genre of Afrofuturism.
- A Tumblr post about the T'challa's character can be found Here.
- An untitled meta reading against the text about the role of the CIA in the film, Archived version by polyaletheia on tumblr, with a comment from argumate.
- Meta on the Shakespearean tone of Black Panther (2018), Archived version originally written in tumblr tags by takiki16
- Shuri by fan2gold
- Nakia and T'Challa by two_x2
- Erik by hak_kun
- T'Challa and Erik by l_Nnuck
- Shuri by sketchstewart
- Okoye by youngbal
- Okoye by messiah972
- Shuri by terriblenerd
- Erik by akira_atsushi
- Erik by koreanrage
- I couldn’t stop thinking about T’Challa in a cat hoodie so…. by reb-chan
- screams a lot about these siblings and their secret/special handshake by alstonwiggles
- this is so ridiculous but i don’t care by derbydeeds
- shuri/mj is such a god-tier concept + bonus with T'Challa by chase2452
- Shuri wants real life reference for her Black Panther designs by willow-s-linda
- Shuri and T'Challa by daver0714
- Nakia by lulutroy
- Long live the King by muffinshark
- Nakia, Okoye & Shuri by mdgart
- if you don’t think shuri would use her bracelet to astral project memes then what is the point??? by zephyrine-gale
- some black panther fanart i did by baasama. Killmonger and the Dora Milaje.
- Home Training by theformerone, T'Chaka takes Erik back to Wakanda. Erik is a problem child.
- White (Boi) Wolf by Lasgalendil, The one where Shuri sciences the shit out of everything and adopts a puppy—er, sad disgruntled POW in desperate need of a snarky little sister and an upgrade. Set pre-Black Panther
- All The Stars by manic_intent, post-Black Panther AU looking at the consequences of M'Baku's actions during the film. M'Baku/T'Challa
- A Rare Bloom by Gileonnen, When Shuri finds evidence that the heart-shaped herb might still be growing wild in Jabariland, T'Challa and M'Baku embark on a quest to find it. As the journey takes them deep into the mountains, though, their newfound trust—and growing attraction—is tested. M'Baku/T'Challa
- 5 steps to peeling an onion by sabrina_il (marina), “A prison’s still a prison, cousin,” Erik says, AKA: my take on the ~classic~ Erik wakes up in Wakanda and nothing goes the way he expects fic. Erik Killmonger/T'Challa
- Clash of the Geniuses by KSTodd, Shuri and T'Challa are visiting America for diplomatic talks. How will the first meeting between Shuri and Tony Stark play out?
- Black Boys Bloom Thorns First by uzumaki_rebellion, “Prince N’Jobu Udaku meets the mother of his secret son, Erik Killmonger.”
- in cayenne and honey, in vinegar and lime by Nonymos, M’Baku fought for T’Challa. But should he keep fighting for T’Challa’s vision? The king is professing change, such deep change, while the Jabari are supposed to be the guardians of tradition. It’s a complex problem, which demands a cool head. So M’Baku could really do without an old love coming back to haunt him, an obnoxious royal teenager, and T’Challa’s secret one-armed guest. post-Black Panther, M'Baku-centric M'Baku/Okoye, M'Baku/James Bucky Barnes
- The Long Path by NyxEtoile and OlivesAwl. Nakia/T'Challa. Glancing over, Nakia said, “You once put the idea of being a spy in my head, and I still can’t shake it.”
- Black Panther || Thunder by Felecity Queen
- T'Challa "Black panther" || Legendary by xAdria10x
- Erik Killmonger // The most beautiful sunset by sigyn27
Archives and Communities
- Black Panther tag on Tumblr
- Black Panther edit tag on Tumblr
- Black Panther tag on AO3
- Black Panther works on fanfiction.net
- Black Panther kinkmeme on Dreamwidth
- "There's More Going On in Black Panther's End Credit Scenes Than You Realize," Germain Lussier, io9. Posted on February 20, 2018. Accessed on April 7, 2018.
- "White Wolf (Hunter) (Earth-616)," Marvel Database. Originally posted on December 27, 2005. Last updated on March 24, 2018. Accessed on April 7, 2018.
- Michael B. Jordan Compares Relationship Between Killmonger and T'Challa to Professor X and Magneto
- Black Panther and Fanfic a tumblr discussion February 2018. Accessed 18 July 2018.
- Black Panther Fanfic Writing Masterpost a tumblr post by writingwithcolor, 28 June 2018. Accessed 18 July 2018
- Dear Non Black People a tumblr post. Accessed 18 July 2018
- The Black Panther Reader Google Document
- Wakanda Curriculum Google Document
- TESA Facebook Post