|Creator:||John Watts (director), Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley (story)|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a 2017 superhero film based on the Marvel comic book character Spider-Man (also known as Peter Parker). It is the 16th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the second cinematic Spider-Man reboot, following on the heels of the Sam Raimi movies (2002-2007) and The Amazing Spider-Man (2012-2014).
Spider-Man: Homecoming is the second film to feature this universe's version of Spider-Man, after Spider-Man (played by Tom Holland) first appeared in the third Captain America film, Captain America: Civil War, as an honorary Avenger. Homecoming builds on this background, featuring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man and focusing on Peter's attempts to deal with a return to ordinary life after having fought alongside the Avengers.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man
- Adrian Toomes/Vulture
- Ned Leeds
- Liz Allan
- Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Harold "Happy" Hogan
- Michelle Jones
- Aaron Davis
Spiderman and the wider MCU pre-2015
The idea of Spider-Man joining the wider Marvel Cinematic Universe has existed in fandom since the Avengers film came out in 2012. Fans imagined an alternate series of events where Peter joins The Avengers or was around for the Battle for New York. It is fairly common within fanfiction or even fanart for Spider-Man or other Marvel Characters to join The Avengers due to the strong comics canon in which they are a member.
Depending on which Spider-Man is chosen to feature in a particular fanwork - if comic-based, or a film-verse Sam Raimi Spider-Man or The Amazing Spider-Man - various other Spider-Man characters will often appear, such as Mary-Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, J. Jonah Jameson, May Parker, and Harry Osborn.
2015 and the announcement of Spider-Man: Homecoming
Fan reception of Spider-Man's minor role in Captain America: Civil War was mainly positive, although some criticized the character of Iron Man for involving Peter in the Avengers at such a young age - at 15, Spider-Man: Homecoming is the youngest cinematic incarnation of Peter Parker to date.
Prior to the release of Spider-Man: Homecoming, the Spider-Man-related pairings in Marvel Cinematic Universe were mostly dominated by slash, with the most common pairings being Peter Parker/Wade Wilson and Peter Parker/Harry Osborn. The most common het pairing was Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy, the canon pairing from the second Spider-Man cinematic reboot, The Amazing Spider-Man.
Since the release of Spider-Man: Homecoming, the following relationships have begun to appear in the fandom:
- Peter Parker & Tony Stark
- Michelle Jones/Peter Parker
- Peter Parker/Tony Stark
- Steve Rogers/Tony Stark
- May Parker & Peter Parker
- Pepper Potts/Tony Stark
- Ned Leeds & Peter Parker
The principal canon ship throughout Spider-Man: Homecoming is Peter Parker/Liz Allan. Liz Allan, portrayed by Laura Harrier, is a minor character from the Spider-Man universe who appears in the film as Peter (and his best friend Ned)'s crush, and leader of the decathlon team of which Peter is a member. However, following the events of the film she moves out of state, and thus it is generally accepted that Liz's character and her relationship with Peter will likely not return.
Another female friend of Peter's, Michelle Jones, has attracted significantly more fan attention. Played by Zendaya, Michelle Jones has a fairly minor role in the film, but shows evidence of a possible crush on Peter, remarking in one scene that he has dropped out of several of his extracurricular activities, before immediately insisting: "I'm not obsessed with him, I'm just super observant." At the end of the film, Michelle offhandedly reveals that "my friends call me MJ" - in an obvious reference to Spider-Man's canon love interest, Mary-Jane Watson.
In the months leading up to the release of Spider-Man: Homecoming, rumours had flown that Zendaya was due to portray Mary-Jane Watson in the upcoming film, sparking outrage from some fans that Mary-Jane would be played by a black woman. However, producers Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal later clarified that Zendaya's character was intended as "more of a fun homage" to Mary-Jane than as a reimagining of the character. Nevertheless, there remains the possibility that MJ could become Peter's love interest, and the producers' statement hasn't kept fans from shipping the two, with Michelle Jones/Peter Parker or "Spideychelle" becoming the most popular romantic pairing in Spider-Man: Homecoming on AO3, with 79 works to date (as of July 22, 2017).
Fanworks & Tropes
The Superfamily trope refers to a specific scenario in which Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are in a romantic relationship and adopt Peter Parker as their son. The trope originated in the Marvel Cinematic Universe prior to Spider-Man: Homecoming, featuring the Peter Parker from the Amazing Spider-Man films.
Related to this is the parent!Tony trope, which revolves around Tony Stark either being Peter Parker's biological father (usually unknown to Peter), or acting as a parent to him, building on the mentor and pseudo-parent relationship he has with Peter in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- Peter Parker's Home for the Wayward Villain by BeanieBaby, Peter/Wade & Bucky/Steve. A really long redemption story. (AU in which Peter is a normal human and adopted by Tony Stark. 2015, pre-release of Spider-Man: Homecoming)
- run as the rains come by weatheredlaw. There's protocol for this, for sure, but that's always when it's not the truth. May Parker tells Tony that Peter might be his kid -- he listens.
- Fate Finds A Way by grilledcheesing. Peter Parker was an accident; not one of the five people tasked with taking care of him were prepared. But that didn't make him any less loved.
- An examination of Peter's childhood, and a certain billionaire's planet-sized guilt complex.
- “I don’t know, some twelve year old—”
- Below him, the kid coughs out, “Fifteen.”
- “—Fifteen year old—”
- Tony scrubs a hand across his face. “Don’t tell me he’s wearing a dorky shirt with a chemistry pun on it.”
- Rhodey frowns. That was oddly specific. Glancing down, he looks at what little he can see of the kid’s shirt—which isn't much since there’s so much blood now, but what could be once called a cartoon joke is printed on it. “Um, yeah?”
- “Son of a bitch.”
- Otherwise known as how Rhodey finds out about how old Peter is, and how badly he needs to beat Tony with a stick.
- The Closest Thing He's Got by grilledcheesing. After Spider-Man's final showdown with the Vulture leaves him the worse for wear, he's found by none other than Steve Rogers.
- Or, five times Tony Stark deeply resented Steve Rogers' new involvement in Peter Parker's life, and one time he did not.
See Shipping for details of popular ships in Homecoming fandom
- i never planned on no-one like you by CrimsonPetrichor, Peter/Michelle. You would think that a person who can mentally run quadratic functions while swinging across the New York City skyline would be a little quicker on the uptake.
- Emotions Are Hard by Sub_Zero_MKA, Peter/Michelle. Five times Michelle's displays of affection for Peter backfired, and the one time it didn't.
- A Little Light Protesting by FrostyEmma, Peter/Michelle. Michelle had long since figured it out. Of course she had. Peter's not nearly as clever as he thinks he is.
Due to the fact that the Infinity Wars are known to be taking place soon in this universe's timeline (with the film's release set for 2018) with Spider-Man confirmed to be involved, many fanfiction authors have speculated on how the wars might play out, or otherwise incorporated it into futurefic.
- saving the world and other extreme sports by AppleJuiz. Michelle is entirely unimpressed by the whole Spider-Man thing.
- She acts like it's another extraciricular, except less than because, “You can't even put it on your Common App, Parker.”
- He's not sure what he expected, but he shouldn't have expected anything else. This is Michelle, beautiful, smart, and forever unenthused Michelle. (A fic chronicling Peter and Michelle's relationship, and her attitude towards his superhero activities, taking place up to, through and after the Infinity Wars)
Trans Peter Parker
A number of fans headcanon Peter Parker as a trans man, due to his insistence during the film that his name is Spider-Man, Flash's nickname of "Penis Parker", his upset and defensive reaction to Aaron Davis misgendering him based on his voice, Aunt May's comment about his body going through changes, and other details such as his relatively short height and small hands and feet. 
- ijustwantedtomakesure by ottertrashpalace. Shortly after they first start going out, Peter gets in a pretty bad scrape and is injured. MJ just wants to take care of him, but, well, suffice to say that there's a pretty valid reason that Peter hesitates to take his shirt off.
- Pride by ottertrashpalace. MJ considers it her honor and her duty to take Peter to his first pride parade after he comes out to her. Needless to say, this involves blue lipstick, famous drag queens, and incredibly attractive displays of spider-strength. She considers herself lucky.
- a bag of frozen peas by until_the_earth_is_free. “That’s one funky outfit you’ve got on, kiddo,” Mr Murdock said.
- “I was just, uh, practicing my gymnastics routine in the area.”
- “Really?” Mr Murdock asked, raising his eyebrows. “Because it sounded like you were having a panic attack in a dumpster.”
- [Peter Parker passes out during a fight and wakes up in some guy called Matt Murdock's apartment.]
- aunty and nephew jamming out! by Corina Tu Draws
- a very fun commission i finished recently! by tinymintywolf
- i F I N A L L Y saw it by doodlesaresketcheswithnoodles
- my friends call me... by meamme1
Trans Peter Parker
- safe binding feat. a concerned irondad by chase2452
- warm-up doodle because i hecking love trans peter parker by dorianshavilliard
- So I watched Homecoming and 1) it was the first spider man movie I actually enjoyed and 2) I fully support the trans boy peter parker fan theory by Débora Cabral
- *dj khaled voice* another one by chase2452
- Because trans peter parker has been on my mind for the last 10 days. by stevestransboyfriend
- Just a proud father and his spider son. :) by dchanberry
- let him have his hug by latrotoxinn
- i know this has definitely been done but i dont care i did it anyway by murdockstark
Peter & the Avengers/other MCU characters
- I cant wait for Infinity War to see my Peters meet <3. by imaginationbecomesher (Peter Parker meets Peter Quill)
- I saw this post and I had to <3 by imaginationbecomesher
- peter parker is easy to exploit :) by lynxdre
Trans Peter Parker
- Trans Boy Peter Parker: An Aesthetic by tomhollnad
- Marvel Moodboards: Peter Parker by moonlightmaia
- Bisexual Trans Boy Peter Parker ♂ by johnnystormsbf
- LGBT+ headcanon aesthetics Trans Boy Peter Parker by rootsameme
- peter parker aesthetic: I’m not a girl! I’m a boy! I mean I’m a — I’m a man! by transpeter
Archives & Fannish Links
- 'Spider-Man fans aren't happy that Zendaya is starring as Mary-Jane Watson', Metro, published August 21, 2016 (Accessed July 22, 2017).
- Marvel producers reveal the truth about Zendaya’s name in ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, The Daily Dot, published 10 July 2017 (Accessed 22 July 2017).
- peter parker is a trans boy by chase-is-not-crash, Tumblr. Posted July 12, 2017 (Accessed August 26, 2017).
- Trans! Peter Parker by backroad-bros, Tumblr. Posted July 19, 2017 (Accessed August 26, 2017).