|Synonyms:||personal canon, head canon, head-cannon, headcannon|
|See also:||fanon, canon|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
This can be affected both by professional tranformative works, such as art, movies and audiobooks, and by fanworks such as fanart, fanfiction, cosplay, manips, vids and podfic.
The phrase "Headcanon accepted!" is sometimes used to indicate you've adopted another fan's headcanon as your own.
- A history of "headcanon" on Know Your Meme
- Headcanon vs. Fanon - azurelunatic
- Headcanon tag on Archive of Our Own
- headcanon tag on Tumblr
XKCD comic on headcanon vs. headcannon
Headcanon is affected by the frequent auditory/orthographic confusion between canon and cannon.
XKCD comic #1401, week of August 4, 2014 
Title text: The nice thing about headcannnons is that it's really easy to get other people to believe in them.
- Creating Headcanons: Everyone Does It (2015)
- Do Characters Belong to Their Fans or Their Creators?; WebCite (2015)
- XKCD headcannon comic #1401
- Black hat guy is walking. Black hat guy: New headcannon:
- A figure sits behind a desk with a computer on it. Figure: Yeah?
- Black hat guy has raised his hat, revealing a cannon that shoots the seated figure.
- The desk explodes and the figure is engulfed in smoke. BOOM
- Figure: Augh!