|Synonyms:||personal canon, head canon, head-cannon, headcannon|
|See also:||fanon, canon|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Headcanon (or head canon, head-canon) is a fan's personal, idiosyncratic interpretation of canon, such as habits of a character, the backstory of a character, or the nature of relationships between characters. The term comes from the fact that it is the canon that exists in a fan's head.
This can be affected both by professional tranformative works, such as art, movies and audiobooks, and by fanworks such as fanart, fanfiction, cosplay, manips, vids and podfic.
The phrase "Headcanon accepted!" is sometimes used to indicate you've adopted another fan's headcanon as your own.
On Tumblr, there are numerous submission-based blogs for headcanons, usually named along the lines of "[X] of the Day" or "Your Fave is [X]", where X is an attribute or umbrella term. For example Lesbian of the Day, Your Fave Loves Pineapple Pizza, All Your Faves are Hufflepuffs, Neurodivergent & LGBT Character of the Day, etc. This phenomenon has also since spread to Twitter, with accounts such as Bisexual of the Day and your fav gets pegged.
hey fandom i invented this cool new thing called "headcanon" it's where you have your own interpretations of the text and don't harass the creator to weigh in on your opinions
Headcanon is affected by the frequent auditory/orthographic confusion between canon and cannon.
- A history of "headcanon" on Know Your Meme
- Headcanon vs. Fanon - azurelunatic
- Headcanon tag on Archive of Our Own
- headcanon tag on Tumblr
- Creating Headcanons: Everyone Does It (2015)
- Do Characters Belong to Their Fans or Their Creators?; WebCite (2015)
- Dean Winchester and Commander Shepard Walk Into A Bar: Why Fanon Matters - Uncanny Magazine, Archived version (2017)
- Head-Canon, what's yours?; long ongoing thread on the Twisting the Hellmouth forums, mostly discussing Buffy canon but also looking at many other fandoms, started in 2015 and still in progress.
- Jul 12, 2019 by smarshtastic
- XKCD headcannon comic #1401
- Black hat guy is walking. Black hat guy: New headcannon:
- A figure sits behind a desk with a computer on it. Figure: Yeah?
- Black hat guy has raised his hat, revealing a cannon that shoots the seated figure.
- The desk explodes and the figure is engulfed in smoke. BOOM
- Figure: Augh!