|Status:||sometimes frozen, sometimes temporarily dead, usually alive|
|Relationships:||Bucky Barnes (friend), Tony Stark (friend, married to in Earth-3490), Peggy Carter (love interest), Sharon Carter (love interest), Natasha Romanova (friend/ally/love interest)|
|Fandom:||The Avengers (Marvel), Captain America, Marvel Comics, Marvel Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Avengers Films, The Super Hero Squad Show, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, X-Men: Evolution, |
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Captain America Movieverse, The Avengers Movieverse
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Steve Rogers is the alter ego of Captain America and the main character of the comic and movie franchise of the same name.
Steve starts as a frail young man who is deemed unfit for military service, but whose fervent patriotism catch the eye of Dr. Abraham Erskine, who developed the Super Soldier Serum. During Operation Rebirth, the serum transforms Steve into the pinnacle of human perfection and the ultimate soldier. He carries on as Captain America, serving in WWII along with his kid sidekick, James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes. In the final days of the war, he crashes a plane into the icy North Atlantic when trying to stop a villain.
Thanks to the Super Soldier Serum, the ice does not kill him, but keeps him in a state of suspended animation. Years later he is found and woken up, and he joins the Avengers.
Another alternate identity is Nomad, which Steve Rogers temporarily adopts when he abandons the Captain America costume and title, but this identity is short-lived.
Common Tropes & Themes
- Virgin!fic - is a popular theme in Steve fics. Sometimes the complete opposite, where Steve is more sexually experienced, happens as well.
- De-Serumized Steve (or: De-Serumed Steve) - is another common trope where either by magic or an alien, Steve is turned back to himself before the Serum changed his body.
- Skinny!Steve - is used to represent fanworks that focus on Steve prior to receiving the serum.
- Bearded!Steve/Bearded Steve Rogers - is used to represent fanworks that focus on Steve with a beard. This was popularized after Chris Evans grew a beard in between MCU films, or for other films like Snowpiercer. (Tag at AO3)
- Catholic!Steve - based on Marvel canon that Steve's parents were Irish Catholic immigrants.
- Steve & Modern tropes:
- Steve filling the 70-year gap: a common trope that came after the ending of CA1, where Steve wakes up in NYC after being frozen for seventy years. Various characters (mainly Darcy Lewis or the other Avengers characters) teach him about what happened after he went under; his reactions to the holocaust, Vietnam war, Cold War, 9-11, etc.
- Steve learning about Modern Technology: a popular trope where Steve is taught or is learning about modern technology (computers, internet, etc). He is sometimes bad at it, confused by it, or does not like it. The concept of Steve actually being good with technology is fairly unheard of, despite what canon might suggest In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, he says he thinks the Internet is "so helpful".
- Steve eating different Modern Foods: a fairly popular trope where Steve eats various modern food, and usually enjoys it. In CA2 he's impressed with modern food: "We used to boil everything." Other times, it's Steve enjoying meals or food he would have had back then (usually made by his mother or enjoyed with Bucky). He is often portrayed as needing to eat vast amounts of food (due to his Super Serum metabolism) and winning eating competitions.
- Six Degrees of Chris Evans/Same-actor crossovers - since Chris Evans portrayed Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movies before he became Captain America for the MCU, many fans started writing fics where Johnny and Steve have an uncanny resemblance, if not shared DNA. (Example: All Alone, More or Less by SmokeyMelons) - in some AUs they are twins. To a lesser extent, fans sometimes crossover with Chris' The Losers character Jake Jensen or PUSH character Nick Gant
- Skinny!Steve was color-blind: The idea comes from prop canon – a SSR intake form from the Captain America: The First Avenger Special Edition DVD set where "Colour Blindness" is listed as a "medical ailment". Fandom sometimes addresses Steve's color-blindness in terms of him being an artist. (Color-blind Steve works on AO3.)
- Cap is a canonical nickname used affectionately by Steve's teammates (as well as by fans). It enjoys widespread use across multiple canons.
- Capsicle is used by Tony Stark in The Avengers, and is often used in fic.
- Superfamily is Steve/Tony plus Peter Parker as their (adopted) son.
- Dorito is used to describe Steve's shoulder-to-waist ratio and is often used as a nickname for him.
In fandom slash is very popular for Steve Rogers. Before the MCU and in the early years of MCU fandom he was most popularly paired with Tony Stark  but works pairing him with his childhood friend Bucky Barnes were also popular . With the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the return of Bucky Barnes, the pairing Bucky/Steve skyrocketed in popularity and took over as the most popular Steve slash pairing. In the MCU, Steve is sometimes paired with Phil Coulson due to canon knowledge of Phil being a large fan of Steve's. After the release of CA2, fans started pairing up Steve with Sam Wilson.
Het pairings also exist and are quite popular as well. Most common het pairings are with Peggy Carter, Natasha Romanova, and Darcy Lewis . There also have been fanworks featuring Steve in a romantic relationship with Pepper Potts, Beth (the waitress in The Avengers film), Maria Hill, Sif, Sharon Carter, Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch), and Jemma Simmons.
On May 24, 2016, the hashtag #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend trended worldwide on Twitter. The hashtag called on Marvel/Disney to give Steve Rogers a canonical same-sex partner in the MCU, most popularly Bucky Barnes or Tony Stark. The hashtag received mainstream media attention, including a video tweet from BBC3 featuring clips of Steve and Bucky in the style of a rom-com movie trailer. Stephen Colbert discussed the hashtag during his show on May 25, 2016 (where he implied that he might be Cap's boyfriend).
- Food for Thought by AmazonX, Steve isn't adjusting to the 21st century as well as most people think. A lot of things are different, especially the food. (2014)
- Protection Detail by KiaraSayre, Steve keeps taking reckless risks in battle and getting himself hurt, so Tony hires Darcy to babysit him and make sure he doesn't hurt himself. Bucky thinks this is the best idea ever, and Steve hates everything. a gen Post-Winter Soldier, fluff/crackfic (Artwork) (2014)
- Three Body Problem (the amazing grace remix) by Sholio. They both owe her a dance. Steve/Peggy Carter/Bucky threesome. (2014)
- Freezer Burn by Domenika Marzione (domarzione). Steve Rogers: soldier, artist, foodie, friend, heart of the Avengers, and a guy whose past keeps creeping into his present and dictating his future. A series of stories about him and the people he has chosen to build his life around. Gen, mostly post-The Avengers, some Marvel Comics characters. (2012-2016)
- Captain Fraudulent by Ellidfics. SHIELD did its best to help Steve Rogers adjust to modern society. Too bad they forgot to warn him about the 24 hour news cycle. Gen, first story of a series. (2012)
- Known Associates by thingswithwings. Multiple ships. Steve Rogers isn't a self-made man. Or, how a tough little Brooklyn fairy got turned into Captain America, and then turned back. (2016)
- The Dead Forest by hansbekhart. They’ve taken down the elevated line, and without it the Bowery stretches wide and open like a razed country, smelling like nothing in particular, quiet and peaceful. Set shortly after Steve came out if the ice, set in modern day Brooklyn. (2016)
- Because I’m tired of the “Steve sucks at modern technology” trope, Archived version fancomic by potofsoup (2014)
- Steve Rogers by arkarti (2014)
- Steve Rogers - Captain America (2014) by scotty309 (2014)
- Steve by luckyraeve (2014)
- Captain America (drawing) by Quelchii (2015)
- Echo :: Steve Rogers by Ecthelian
- steve rogers by drchopper7
- Steve Rogers by Shigdioxin
- Vaccinate Your Fuckin' Kids comic by Bluandorange
- "Guardians of the Galaxy is really the Avengers playing a table top roleplaying game" comic by Bluandorange
- See Category:The Avengers Relationships for Steve pairing related vids.
- The War Was in Color by Settiai. "Sit down, son. Let me fill you in." Or, alternatively: STEVE *REALLY* FEEEEELS!
- Halfway to happy by sheryloh
- Just a kid from Brooklyn by sheryloh
- Superhero by Captain Bucky
- but a good man by inhumanemonster
- The Price of Freedom by howling-captain
- Soldier On by xosimplyvidsox
- Sacrilege by xosimplyvidsox
- So cold by Valentina Zaharova (Steve/Felicity Smoak - Arrow crossover)
- Paralyzed by xAdria10x (Steve/Diana Prince - DCCU crossover)
- Take It All by Winter Phantom (Steve/Diana Prince - DCCU crossover)
- Live Like Legends by Winter Phantom (Steve/Diana Prince - DCCU crossover)
- blood in the water by RockSashka13 (Steve/Hermione Granger - Harry Potter crossover)
- Chronically Ill Steve Rogers - Details about the conditions Steve suffers pre-Serum in the MCU, including details on how they would have been constructed in 1920s/30s U.S.A.
- What Would Surprise Captain America? and The Thrilling Conclusion! by lolaraincoat - Discussion of what parts of the future would have been surprising to Steve, and which he would be able to take in stride based on his experiences in the 1930s/40s.
- Neuroscience - Details on what happened to Steve's brain post-Serum and what his was like before the serum.
- Steve Rogers' 1930s/1940s neighbourhood - AKA "Mr. Rogers Gaybourhood." Details about where Steve Rogers lived before World War II.
- The Religious Affiliation of Comic Book Character Steve Rogers: an exploration of Steve's religious views in the comic books.
- Writing Pre-Serum Steve Rogers characterization meta by Bluandorange
- Steve's Shitty Rear Tenement by hansbekhart & others
- Steve & Bucky's Jobs Before The War by hansbekhart
- Steve Rogers & Modern Art by hansbekhart
- Steve Rogers & Religion by what-alchemy
- Steve is a person, Cap is a Character by Bluandorange
- Steve, Fondue, & Innocence contributors: Bluandorange, Notallbees, Ilgaksu
- The Books Steve Brought To Boot Camp by Ilgaksu & others
- Steve Misses Being That Kid contributors: thunderboltsortofapenny, im-the-punk-who, amberlyinviolet, morgan-leigh
Additional Art Gallery
Steve as the Strength tarot card, part of a series Art Deco Avengers Tarot by artist Julia Cross
Fan art by kikainausagi, created for the Cap/Iron Man Reverse Bang
Archives and Communities
- Steve Rogers tag at Archive of Our Own
- Steve Rogers and Captain America at FanFiction.net
- Steve Rogers and Captain America tags at Wattpad
- 'It's Stars AND Stripes': Shipping Bisexual Characters in The Marvel Cinematic Universe; WebCite, In Media Res (2015)
- Loose Canon: Captain America, video essay by Lindsay Ellis
- Steve at Wikipedia
- Steve at Marvel.com
- Steve at Marvel Database
- Steve at Marvel Movies Wikia
- Steve at Marvel Cinematic Universe Wikia
- A list of the different variations of Captain America's notebook (accessed 7th July 2015)
- Completely agree with your take on Captain America and modern technology. potofsoup at Tumblr. Archived. Published June 2014. (Accessed 14 June 2014).
- " Karykeion reblogged 2 gifs of Steve walking away, which she tagged with "heart of gold and shoulder waist ratio of a dorito". The tag was added to the post by Chainsandcherries and became popular from there. Archived. Posted April 18, 2014. Accessed September 16, 2014.
- Allonsyarielle (Archived) posted a still of Steve from one of the above gifs with a dorito pasted over his back. The text read "Disclaimer: The Dorito was not manipulated in any way other than scaled to fit the shoulder width of Cap in this photo. Cap really does have the shoulder to waist ratio of a Dorito!" By Sept. 16, the post was 150 notes shy of 40,000. Posted April 27, 2014. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- as of October 2013, more than 7,000 Steve/Tony works at the AO3; as of August 27, 2016, there are 16,926 Steve/Tony works.
- as of October 2013, there were more than 1,000 Steve/Bucky works at the AO3.
- as of June 14, 2014, there were more than 3,700 Bucky/Steve works on AO3; as of August 27, 2016, there are 22,582 works
- as of October 2013, ca. 400 works for each pairing at the AO3. As of August 27, 2016, there are 2,570 Steve/Peggy works, 2,275 Steve/Natasha works, and 1,917 Steve/Darcy works; this pair have never met in canon.
- Twitter really thinks Marvel and Disney should give Captain America a boyfriend, The Independent, May 24, 2016
- The Big Issue Behind #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend And What The Hashtag Really Means, Bustle.com, May 24, 2016
- archived. posted to tumblr 1 June 2014 with 53,873 notes as of 10 September 2016.