|Trope · Genre|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Virginity in Early Slash Fandom
The idea of one or both characters being a virgin in fanfiction goes as far back as the earliest slash stories. In fact, in K/S TOS fanfiction it is so common, it seems to be almost a given that Spock is a virgin at the time of his first sexual encounter with Kirk. This is more than likely to be the result of an interpretation of canon as, in Amok Time - the final episode of Season One - Spock is revealed to be betrothed and appears reticent - almost embarrassed - when he has to explain Vulcan biology to Kirk. While Kirk frequently 'got the girl', it was only in two other episodes that Spock demonstrated any kind of sexual impulse and on both occasions, he was under the influence of external forces. By contrast, in the reboot movie, Spock is in an established relationship with Uhura and as a result, far fewer stories depict him as a virgin.
Rich pickings for those who enjoy this trope can be found in fandoms where the characters are teenagers or otherwise still young, such as Harry Potter, Glee, Merlin or in High School AUs where the characters are depicted as meeting earlier than canon, when teenagers. (Aficionados of the trope may prefer older characters, however.) It's also common in historical sources such as Austen or Robin Hood (BBC 2006), especially but not exclusively among women. Unattractive characters such as Severus Snape are often written as virginal.
- The Virgin Count by Wizardora (Harry Potter, R/H)
- Virgin State of Mind by purelush (Harry Potter, H/L)
- Glee kink_meme fill by anonymous (Glee, F/Q) Finn and Quinn are both virgins
- At Our Best When It's From the Hips by derryere (Merlin, M/A) Virgin!Merlin)
- Let Go and Watch the Sunlight Bend by cherrybina (Merlin, M/A) Virgin!Arthur)
- Deadline on Love by lycaness (Supernatural RPF, J/J)
- Educated Differences by demonllama1 (Star Trek reboot, K/S) Kirk and Virgin!Spock meet at school
Many slash stories treat first-time bottoming in anal sex as "losing virginity" even for characters who have had heterosexual sex or topped in anal sex many times before. This is often written as a profoundly meaningful turning point in slash relationships, which some fans feel puts an unrealistic importance on having one particular kind of sex, or privileges a heteronormative view of sex, where it's not real sex without penetration.
Secret Virgin Fic
A type of story in which a character who is canonically known to be sexually experienced, (or at the very least, one could reasonably draw that conclusion from canon) is discovered to have been concealing their lack of sexual experience. The most notable stories are when the character is in fact canonically portrayed as promiscuous, or having been in multiple relationships. Virgin!Lex, or Virgin!Methos would be good candidates; Virgin!Dora the Explorer would not. While it is rare, there have been a small number of Secret Virgin Kirk stories written.
Almost universally, the character's condition is remedied in the course of the story.
An unknown percentage of these stories are doubtless written for the sake of the absurd, but just as doubtless, there is a sincerely interested audience as well.
- The A-Team: Teach Me Tiger: An A-Team Kink Meme Fill by napalmedsteak, H-BAMF pairing, features Virgin!Hannibal Smith
- The Sentinel: zine anthology series Angel On My Mind, Jim/Blair pairing, is dedicated solely to Virgin!Blair
- Smallville: the Virgin Lex community on Livejournal
- Star Trek reboot: Rituals Requiring Virgins by jade-starlight, Kirk/McCoy pairing, features Virgin!Kirk
- Stargate Atlantis: Lost in Waiting by Lacey McBain, McKay/Sheppard pairing, features Virgin!John
- Harry Potter: Akasha the Kitty wrote The Virgin Conundrum -- Hermione sets out to lose her virginity and chooses Draco. He, however, is reticent about taking hers. Turns out...well, I'm sure you can suss out why.
- In This Deadly Innocence by Leslie Fish (published in Naked Times #3, 1979), Spock is revealed to be a virgin.
- The Matchmaker by Ray Newton
- A Thin Flame by Cynthia
- Pacing the Cage by Jenna Sinclair
- Episode All Our Yesterdays, in which Spock and McCoy find themselves deep in the past on a planet and Spock begins to revert to the ways of his barbarian ancestors
- Episode This Side of Paradise, in which Spock is infected by alien spores that allow him to express love
- One fairly rare example is Educated Differences, an AU 'story by Demonllama1.
- Another reboot virgin!Spock example is Helen's Your First Time Should Be Special, in which Spock, with relentless, implacable determination decides that Kirk should relieve him of his virginity, while Kirk just doesn't want to be the kind of guy who fucks someone's romantic life up forever.
- In waldorph's strive seek find yield, a fusion with The Young Victoria, Spock is a virgin until he encounters Kirk because as heir to the throne he's been closely watched all his life.
- In Of Sentinels and Anchors by corpus_invictus, Spock is a virgin because he never learned to adequately mentally control his emotions or telepathy, especially the touch kind. Until he's spent time with Kirk, of course.
- For example, An Opening Ceremony by spdfg, written for a Virgin!Kirk prompt at LJ's st_xi_kink_meme, in which he is depicted as secret virgin due to interruptus pre-coitus every single time.