|Date(s):||October 16, 2001 – May 13, 2011|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||TWoP: Smallville IMDB Wikipedia page
Subpages for Smallville:
Smallville has no subpages to list.
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Smallville is a television show about Clark Kent in his pre-Superman teen years and later early adult.
Smallville is an American science fiction/fantasy television series that debuted on the WB Network in October 2001, focusing on the adventures of Clark Kent as a teenager in Smallville, Kansas. Creators Gough and Millar emphasized that the show wasn't going to be about Superboy, and often repeated its motto of "No flights, no tights." Instead, Smallville departed from much of DC Comics canon, kept Clark firmly on the ground (mostly) and introduced him to Lex Luthor, the son of a ruthless businessman, Lionel Luthor. As Clark gained more powers, Lex would become his best friend and biggest problem. Clark's other friends include Lana Lang, Chloe Sullivan, Pete Ross, and later Lois Lane and Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow.
One interesting note about Smallville is that the perception of homoerotic subtext was not limited to slashers, but was fairly widely perceived. Given that the series began with Clark, the male lead, giving mouth-to-mouth to his eventual enemy, Lex Luthor, this is perhaps not to be wondered at.
Smallville was a lot of people's first slash fandom. SVMadelyn remembers: "Smallville was my first slash fandom. I'd actually never - uh, thought about slash? Ever? I wrote wrestling and soap opera fanfiction up to that point. Until that one fateful summer night when I was flipping through channels, and it was a ridic hoyay moment of legend during Hourglass. And I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I literally googled 'are clark kent and lex luthor gay!?'? A link came up to Jenn's A Handful of Dust, and it was the first slash story I ever read and I was all: WHAT IS HAPPENING WHAT IS - WHAT IS GOING ON. I remember I kept having to get up and take dancing breaks because I was feeling too many EMOTIONS about Superman and Lex Luthor. Then I think I lurked for a year on TWoP. and finally mustered up my courage enough to get a LJ." 
- See also Timeline of Smallville Fandom.
As the show and fandom started in 2001, Smallville was one of the fandoms that transitioned between the dominance of the mailing list culture and the move to livejournal and various other blog and journal-based communities. SV fandom is also active on message boards.
One of the original primary SV communities was TWoP. Omar's HoYay-heavy recaps were one of the main channels for pimping the show to new fans, and several elements of fanon and other recurring themes arose on the active TWoP message boards.
Smallville started airing in October 2001. The Smallville Slash Archive went live four days after the pilot. (And the ClarkLex mailing list was founded on four days after that.) The archive was immediately popular, and more so than most fandoms, most SV fic was published to the archive. Having important fannish infrastructure very early strengthened the fandom from the beginning.
Fandom & TPTB
Smallville was often known as a show fans loved to hate, and many fans have an uneasy relationship with the showrunners, feeling that their vision for the show was inherently flawed and got worse over time. The show creators, Gough and Millar, are often (usually disparagingly) referred to as "Goughlar" or "AlMiles" and are the subject of bitter fan mocking, particularly accused of loving Lana Lang to the detriment of the rest of the cast. One of the more entertaining examples of the trend was the webcomic Lanarama. Some fans also theorized that the meteor rock necklace Lana had worn constantly since childhood had given her the mutant power of making everyone love her, since all the other characters were constantly praising her and falling for her.
A predominant pairing in Smallville is Clark/Lex, or "Clex". Lex is also paired with pretty much everyone, as it was often joked that he had chemistry with everyone and everything on the show, including his piano, cars, pool cues, and expensive Tynant water bottles. Some Lex pairings, like Lex/Lionel, Lex/Lucas, and Lex/Martha, challenged traditional thinking. However Lex is not the only one to be paired with everyone, Chloe Sullivan and Clark Kent is often paired up everyone (or at least once) along with a variety of crossover pairings.
Popular het pairings include Clark/Lana, Clark/Chloe, Clark/Lois, Chloe/Pete, Lex/Lana, Lex/Chloe, Chloe/Oliver, Lois/Oliver, Tess/Oliver, Jonathan/Martha, and Martha/Lionel. The largest femslash pairings are probably Chloe/Lana and Tess/Lois.
Common Themes and Elements in Smallville fandom
Futurefic and The Rift
Futurefic is one of the most common types of SV fanfiction, extrapolating the more famous Superman canon from the backstory presented in Smallville. Some fan writers will use specific Superman canon elements from DC Comics, the JLU cartoon, or (less commonly) the movies. Others create their own pastiche futures, based on the basic Superman mythology but eschewing the particulars from any one canon. Later events in the show rendered many of these fanfiction futures uncanonical, but as most of these events are also contradictory to the other Superman canons, most fans don't particularly care.
As Superman and Lex Luthor are traditionally arch-nemeses, much of the futurefic portrayed them as such even before there was much conflict between them in Smallville canon, with the Clark/Lex pairing as a type of tragic enemyslash. The separation is generally referred to as The Rift, and stories that feature it are known as Rift-fic. Some are dark; others strive to reconcile the characters.
- The polar opposite were "Rift, What Rift?" fanfic (riffing on PWP), in which the traditional canon was totally denied, with Lex never becoming a supervillain and instead living happily ever after with Clark. In some stories the supervillain figure of Luthor would be a part Lex and Clark deliberately created and played with together to aid Clark's career as Superman. In other stories Lex and Clark would take totally different paths in life from anything presented in the comics or other Superman mythos. There are many stories with Clark pursuing various careers other than journalism, stories where Clark does not become Superman, and stories where Lex also becomes a superhero.
There are also stories that flip the mythos entirely and posit Clark or Kryptonians as a dark force (insinuated in canon by the legend of Namaan and by Jor-El's early portrayal as a conqueror) and Lex as the hero who has to stop him and save the world (Lex's theory of Segeeth). Alternately there are stories in varying degrees of darkness where Lex and Clark work together to conquer the world.
Another common theme in early futurefic was the Chlois theory. Despite the common use of pairing smush names in the fandom this has nothing to do with a pairing. Instead, it is the idea that Chloe Sullivan of the show grows up to become Lois Lane of the comics. In early seasons the first mention of Lois was as Chloe's ostensible cousin whose name Chloe used for a journalism story. Before Lois herself was introduced on the show as an actual character this led some fans to write fic about Chloe becoming known as Lois Lane in her later journalism career, and for a while, especially after the season three finale when Chloe went into hiding to escape Lionel's assassination attempts, some fans believed Chlois would even come to pass on the show.
Relation to DC Comics
As Smallville's roots are in DC Comics, DC crossovers are very common, both in futurefic and in stories set in canon. Crossovers have been written with The Justice League, Flash, Batman, and more. Some SV fic authors are DC fans first and write mostly comics canon with backstory elements from Smallville; other authors have little direct experience with the comic canon, but pick and choose comic elements (often gleaned from Scans Daily) to add spice to their Smallville stories.
Bruce Wayne is a frequent visitor to Smallville and Metropolis, and a popular sex partner for both Lex and Clark. This is probably in protest against due to Batman's restarted film franchise, Bruce Wayne did not appear on Smallville because the film division of Warner Bros and was working with the character. Although allusions of Batman appeared throughout the seasons. For example, Blüdhaven and Gotham City exist in Smallville, Andrea Rojas (aka Angel of Vengeance) was similar to Bruce/Batman in backstory and personality, Zatanna Zatara (who is a friend of Bruce's in the comics and part of the JL) appears in several episodes, Chloe's Watchtower is similar to Birds of Prey's Clocktower as well as Chloe's initial role for the team is similar to Barbara Gordon (character)|Oracle]]'s role, and Chloe hints at meeting Batman while traveling. It isn't until Season 11 of Smallville, Batman/Bruce Wayne is finally introduced into the series. Alfred Pennyworth, James Gordon, Victor Fries, and Barbara Gordon (as Nightwing instead of Batgirl) also make their debut into the Smallville universe in Season 11.
In 2003 it was revealed in DC Comics that the current Superboy, Kon-El aka Conner Kent, was a genetic hybrid of Superman and Lex Luthor rather than a pure clone. This knowledge filtered into Smallville fandom and resulted in a new genre of fic featuring Kon as the son of Lex and Clark. One of the first such was Conflicts Of Interest by rageprufrock, wherein Conner Clark Luthor, age 8, defies his father Lex and sets out to find his mother. Of course it turns out that his mother is Clark, and that he was created in an experiment by Lionel Luthor. This fic used basically no comics elements and the Conner in it is an OMC and not the Kon of the DCU. Some other fics featuring a more comics-based characterization of Kon set within the Smallville backstory of Clark and Lex are Reconcilable Differences by astolat and the Not A Villain series by tallihensia. In fic Conner is sometimes created through deliberate scientific means and sometimes is the result of mpreg allowed by alien biology. Conner was introduced into SV canon in the season ten episode "Scion", giving a whole other version of the character to write about.
Some fics have also used the character of Lena Luthor as a daughter for Lex or for Clex. In season ten Tess Mercer was revealed to be Lionel Luthor's daughter and Lena was used as part of her birth name.
AUs are very popular in the fandom. As Smallville is itself an AU version of the Superman comics, yet set as a prequel to them, even much futurefic for the show (as discussed above) was conscious of being an AU version of where everyone knew the show was going to end up. There are also many other forms of AU that either take events in the show a different way or that do not allow anything from the show's storyline to occur. Some fics will have it that Lex never came to Smallville to work and that he and Clark meet later on when Clark goes to college in Metropolis. These stories allow Lex and Clark to have a relationship that can start and progress in a different and more positive fashion than the one on the show, and they also allow authors and readers a way to enjoy Clex that does not involve Clark being underage. Other stories involve a Kryptonian invasion of Earth, allowing authors to construct an alien society and play with a more aggressive version of Clark. Other authors, such as danceswithgary, commonly take the plots of romantic comedy movies and create fusions with the SV characters.
The season two episode "Lineage" showed more flashbacks to the meteor shower and revealed that Lionel Luthor had helped the Kents fake Clark's adoption papers. This led Rachel Dunleavy, a woman who had had an affair with Lionel, to claim that Clark was her son and Lex's half-brother. Though Lex's brother instead turned out to be Lucas in the episode "Prodigal", Lex's reaction to the thought of Clark as his brother and the scenes of a young Lex and Clark together immediately after the meteor shower spurred a subset of AUs involving Clark being found by Lionel and raised as a Luthor. (This was later made canon in a season ten AU episode, "Luthor", where Clark Luthor had killed his brother Lex and was sleeping with his sister Tess.) In many of these fics it is Clark, rather than a later baby, who is given the name Julian Luthor (since in SV he is called after Martha's maiden name) and frequently nicknamed Lian. There are also a few fics where Lionel is killed in the meteor shower and Lex ends up raised by the Kents, but for Clex purposes a Luthor upbringing is generally more incestuous than a Kent one.
SV is not a fandom with many shared fanon OCs. One of the few is Enrique, Lex's butler. In a season one episode (Cool?) there was a servant onscreen for a few seconds as he opened a door to visitors at Luthor Castle. Omar, in his TWOP recap, named this man Enrique, and he later spread through fanfic. Though sometimes used as a serious character and confidant for Lex he more often makes appearances in crackfic.
Early on Lex's mother's name was unknown (when was she first named in canon?), and so in early fic she was given a variety of names by authors, before canon revealed her to be Lillian.
In always-female AUs it is easy to turn Alexander into Alexandra and sometimes use slightly more feminine variations on Lex such as Lexa. Female Clark is often called Claire or Clara but it's nowhere near as consistent. In one AU by aelora she is named Hudson.
Introduced in the first-season episode "Stray," Warrior Angel was a fictional comic book series that Lex collected. It featured a bald hero and his nemesis, Devilicus, who used to be best friends. Some fan writers embraced the fictional comic book and used it in their Smallville fanfic, while others started to write fic for Warrior Angel itself. Zahra was possibly the most prolific of these authors, writing fics that featured Warrior Angel as well as fics based on what little canon there was for it.
- For a full listing of Smallville fanfiction on Fanlore, see Category:Smallville Fanfiction
- Smallville '09 by scotty309
- Smallville 2 by odysseyart
- Smallville by sammy8a
- Smallville's Justice League by alijamZz
- Clark and Lois by alijamzz
- Tess, Clark and Chloe by solimm
- art by Suzan Lovett
- Drop Dead Gorgeous by astolat. Clark character study with Clark/Lana, Clark/Chloe, and Clark/Lex
- Pet by Linzee . Lex character study with Lex/Lionel and Lex/Clark
- Faster Kill Pussycat by Talitha78 . Chloe/Lana
Fan Fiction Archives
- See also Category:Smallville Archives.
- As the Talon Turns: A Clana Place (Clark/Lana Fanfiction Archive)
- Clex Classics (A Classic Movie Challenge)
- CLFF: the Clark/Lex Fuh-Q-Fest or Fanfiction Festival
- Level Three Record Room
- LexSlash Archive (defunct?)
- One Red Hot Mama: A Martha Kent Fan Fiction Archive
- Smallville Flash Fiction Challenge 2.0 (organized by author and title)
- Smallville Slash Archive
- Smallville Slash Fiction (slash fiction story index)
- The Sullivan Chronicles: The Untold Stories (Chloe Sullivan fic)
- Tall Tales (inactive)
- Welcome to Chandler's Field! (An index of Smallville archives from The Loony Archivist)
- Wild Coyote: The Smallville Het Archive
- Truth and Justice: Chloe/Anyone in the JL archive
- See also Category:Smallville Websites.
(For a more complete list, see the Newbieguide post.)
- sv_ledger: newsletter comm
- sv_fanfic: fanfic
- sv_slash: slash fic
- sv_hetfic: het fic
- sv_inquiry: a fic finding comm
- sv_vids: vids
- sv_live: for chatting about episodes live
- undermistletoe: a Secret Santa comm
- eat_crow: meta and episode reviews
- chlollie: Chloe/Oliver
- svbigbang: Clark/Lex Big Bang
- smallvillebbang: Smallville Big Bang
- svroundtable: fanfic discussion
- The "I Know an Alien" Club, for any SV/Roswell crossovers
- Smallville Sunken Ships all ships sunken or non-canon of Smallville
- Fanon Fridays
- sv_fanworks: fanworks comm
- sv_friendships: gen/platonic relationships comm
- unforeseen_love: Clark/Oliver comm
- gameofchess: Chloe/Tess comm
- clana: Clark/Lana comm
- iconic_cousins: Chloe & Lois comm
- sv_remix: remix challenge fest
- chloe_otp: any and all Chloe Sullivan ships
- superville: Supernatural/Smallville crossover comm
- Smallville forums on Television Without Pity
- KryptonSite forums
- Devoted To Smallville
- Sweet Clark/Lana
- ChLex (mailing list) archive link "This is for the unification of the entire Chlex shippers. I noticed that the front was not as united as I would hope. And I want to put some of these writers out there. Not only that get some new writers and kind of take over ff.net, I see alot of Clark/Lex, but I'm a Chloe fanatic. And I love Lex of course. So this is just for us... ^_^ Come and join!!!! Fanfic, manip art, rumours, just anything dealing with Smallville in connection with our shipper group. So no Lana/Lex unless it's for plot purposes, same goes for Cl/Lex or Cl/Chloe. Yes the above pic was anashamedly stolen from the Girl Friday site, hopefully the owner won't eat me alive. I put the site in the links column. Enjoy, it's for colour purposes until I can get my hands on some sexy Chlex manips... or real ones."
- Smallville Vanilla Dreams And Beyond archive link "There is a place for the sweet, smarmy side of Smallvile, but now its time for the guys and gals to break all emotional records. Vanilla fic is okay, but we're looking for something more. Something with a kick, a sting, the sickly sweet scent of betrayal. BDSM...Corporal punishment....Non-consensual are the fodder for this list...so come shock us...then give a little tender...its all fair in the vanilla zone. Discussion is encouraged. Photo manips are greedily devoured. I'm gonna ask here that the authors remember to share with this list when you're sharing with others. We can only get pleasure from the sharing if something is posted to the list. And readers, play your part by feeding the authors. Its more important than you may realize."
- Smallville Leather And Roses (Squidge) archive link; Smallville Leather And Roses (Yahoogroups) archive link "Leather and roses in the land of Smallville. Tales of trust and devotion, featuring any of the characters of the hit show Smallville. This list is one of the ever growing family of WWOMB lists and is hosted on that site. All stories will be posted unless you include a do not archive notation."
- Lex-Fans archive link "Dedicated to our favorite best-friend-turned-nemesis from Smallville (not that he has, but we know he will, and we're breathless with anticipation). Fanfiction (het or slash) and fanart (same) is more than welcome, and you can also upload your work in the files section. Lex is played by Michael Rosenbaum ("Zoe..."'s Jack)."
- smallvillefemslash (Small Town Girls) archive link "A list for "Smallville" femslash. If you like the girls and like them together, then this is the list for you. Mature audiences only, please."
- LionelLex archive link "The main focus of the group is Lionel/Lex, but Lucas/Luthor content is also welcome. Chat, stories, fanart, and anything else "LuthorSlash" is considered on topic. Non-slash Lionel/Lex/Lucas relationship fics are also welcome. Content may be of an adult rating, so keep in mind that, by joining this list, you are confirming that you are a legal adult in your area. Also realize that the characters being slashed on list are all blood related. If you are attempting to join the group, don't forget to send me a message at LionelLexemail@example.com letting me know you're not just joining to spam. A lot of people have been denied membership because they never emailed me."
- levelthree archive link "(Almost) all Smallville fic, all the time."
- Aus SV archive link "This is an Australian list for discussion of the TV show Smallville. Season two will return to Australia on Channel 9 on April 5. Strict spoiler policies apply."
- SmallvilleKansasSlash archive link "Welcome to the Smallville Kansas Slash Group. All fan fiction pertaining to the WB series Smallville welcome. Crossovers, alternate universe and original characters are acceptable. All members must be of legal age to subscribe to the SmallvilleKansasSlash list."
- Clark Lex Fic archive link "ClarkLexFic is an adult list for "Smallville" slash. All Smallville slash is welcome here: Clark/Pete, Chloe/Lana, Lionel/Jonathan, Lex/anyone. We love it all. CLxF is a fiction-only list; it is set up so that all feedback & replies go offlist to the original author. To discuss stories onlist, join our sister list ClarkLex, a group for slashy fiction and discussion about "Smallville. The ClarkLexFic fiction posting guidelines can be found here: http://www.debchan.com/livia/list/clarklex.htm"
- ClarkLex archive link "ClarkLex is an adult, slash-centric discussion list about the WB TV show "Smallville." Slash is the subgenre of fanfiction that deals with homoerotic subtext. Before posting to the list, please read the ClarkLex List Guidelines, which give you a run-down on the list's posting requirements. ClarkLex has a sister list for slash fiction of any and all pairings in the Smallville fandom: ClarkLexFic. -- Thamiris and Siobhan, list mods."
- Smallville Chat And Fic archive link "Before the legend... before the icon... there was a teenager named Clark Kent. Someday, he'll master his powers and understand his true calling. For now, he just has to get through adolescence. This new interpretation of the enduring Superman mythology and its classic characters blends realism and adventure into an exciting action series. Discuss this new series about the life and times of Clark Kent, his friends, his foes, his dreams and hopes. Share a general, hetero, preslash or slash story with the group. Experience the universe that is Smallville."
- Metropolis-L archive link "An adult discussion-only list about the TV show "Smallville" and the stories, artwork, and vids based on the show. This list welcomes critique and follows the Prospect-L rules, and aims to be a home for serious and in-depth discussion of the episodes and fiction in particular. Chatter is discouraged—please read the FAQ, which is posted in the Files section!"
- sv_fanfic_workshop [ archive link] "This list is specifically for writers who are looking for help with their works in progress and an audience with whom to discuss writing and looking for help and advice as well as beta reading, line and content editing, and readers who are interested in the providing that feedback, advice, and help. In short, I am hoping to build a community of "Smallville" fan fiction authors who come to fan fiction with the passion and drive to tell the best story they are capable of, and readers who have the energy, knowledge, and desire to help their favourite authors achieve that goal, with the added bonus of getting to read better stories because of it. The goal of this list to maintain a general "workshop" atmosphere, and work symbiotically to produce the best in "Smallville" fan fiction."
- Got CLex? archive link "For discussion and slash fanfiction related to Lex Luthor and Clark Kent. Crossovers are welcome. If your story contains a HET pairing, you MUST have a WARNING. Other projects by Tom Welling or Michael Rosenbaum may be discussed as well.")
- sv_fanfic_recs archive link "Book club-style "Smallville" fan fiction recs list modelled after BetterBuffyFics, and sister list of the Smallville Fan Fiction Workshop. Are you tired of wading through the Mary Sues, slot-A tab-B PWPs, and general drek? Looking for well-written fiction with actual plot and characterisation? Are you new to Smallville fandom, and looking for a place to start reading? Did you just read the best story ever and are desperate to share your discovery with other readers? Are you devouring anything and everything, and discovering that you'd like to make sure the cream rises to the top? Then this list is for you! [Archive/other website: Smallville Fan Fiction Resources]"
- See Category:Smallville Zines also.
- Bedtime Stories #2 slash
- Better Part of Me slash
- Blackfly Presses: Multi-Media Slash Zines slash
- Blue slash
- Gene Therapy slash
- His to Hold slash
- I Can't Stand to Fly slash anthology
- I Don't Think We're In Kansas Anymore slash
- My Enemy, My Ally slash
- Once We Were Friends slash
- Playthings slash
- Reciprocation slash
- Race with Destiny slash
- Silk and Flannel issue 1 and 2 slash
- Something to Believe In slash
- The Alphabet Series slash
- The Big Girls' Book of Smallville Big Boys slash
- The Oak and the Cypress slash
Online eZines/PDF Zines
- Brake for Love slash
- Red as Roses slash
- The Cat's Out of the Bag het
- Screw Clark het, femslash
- Summer Lovin' het
- Winter Wonderland het
- Some very well-meaning and good-hearted people have made a mistake. by lanning (November 5, 2002)
- you have got to be kidding me; archive link by seperis (August 1, 2006)
- One of the popular forums on the TWoP boards is the The Smallville Bottomless, Deep Bitterness Society (Accessed 28 February 2009)
- For example, "I do want Lexana to have sex but I suspect the Goughlar will chicken out so Lana can remain pure and chaste." --DarkPriestess in Spoiler discussion: "They're gonna WHAT?!" 29 Aug 2006 (Accessed 28 February 2009)
- No Darker Than Yours, by RivkaT (Last accessed November 17, 2008.)
- Allusions to Batman: Smallville Wikia
- Warrior Angel entry at Smallville Wiki (Last accessed November 17, 2008.)
- Smallville fics featuring Warrior Angel, by Zahra (Last accessed November 17, 2008.)
- Vid downloadable from astolat's website, announcement post at astolat's LJ (Accessed 3 Dec 2011)