|Creator:||Bob Kane, |
Bill Finger (uncredited)
|Medium:||comics, books, movies, games|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Batfamily fandom is the informal name fandom uses for Batman and his allies and supporting characters, who may be expected to be seen regularly in Batman's books, Detective Comics, Batman, Batman Confidential (2007-2011), Batman Family (Vol. 1 1975-1978, Vol. 2 2002), Legends of the Dark Knight (1989-2007), Shadow of the Bat (1992-2000), Batman Chronicles (1995-2001), Gotham Knights (2000-2006), and various mini-series, as well as the characters who appear in the books of those characters (Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, Birds of Prey, Azrael, Catwoman, various Huntress minis, as well as series about the GCPD like Gotham Central.) Often these characters are closely associated with Batman or were trained by him.
The term is also used to differentiate between the greater DC Comics or team-focused fandom and the fandom specifically focused on Batman and related characters. (See also Family vs. Team) The character of Batman has shifted over time, sometimes as part of cultural shifts, or gradual processes, other times by editorial fiat. Most fans construct for themselves, or in community a vision of the "core" character of Batman with which they engage.
Most notably the "family" consists of Bruce Wayne and the boys he took in and trained as Robin and his butler Alfred Pennyworth as well as his dog, but also includes Batman inspired heroes like Batgirl and the Gotham based team Birds of Prey.
- Bat allies:
For a more complete list check out Wikipedia's article.
In a sense, all Batman comics written after 1943, when Bob Kane left DC Comics, are derivative. As a generation who had grown up on Batman stepped in as writers, Batman comics could be said to be in a real way 'fan fiction.' Most modern comic writers will describe themselves as fans, and describe their early orientation toward Batman, (and other comic characters) as fannish. However, once hired by DC comics, the discourse shifts; they are now insiders, with privileges and access mere 'fans' cannot hope for, gatekeepers of the myth, with the power to turn their headcanons into canon.
- See Batmania for more information.
Started in the mid-60s, Batmania was a fanzine created by and maintained by fans that was fairly tolerated by DC Comics until 1978. It helped educate new fans of the Old Batman along with the New Batman, also focused on the Batman television show at the time.
- See Battalion for more information.
Started in 1989, Utility Belt was a newsletter created by and maintained by the instigators of Battalion: the Australian Legion of Batman fans. It existed with the "kind permission" of DC Comics and ran until 1995. It aimed to cover many aspects of Batman including the comics, books, toys, the Batman television show of the 1960s, and the Tim Burton-directed motion pictures.
Batman: The Deal web comic
In November 2013, Gerardo Preciado and Daniel Bayliss and posted Batman: The Deal, a Batman and Joker relationship comic on their wordpress site. It went viral, and became a thing, and apparently has been tolerated by DC.
- For a full listing of Batman fanfiction on Fanlore, see Category:Batman Fanfiction
- "Family Game Night" by quipquipquip - A ficlet in which the Batfamily plays Monopoly.
- "The Strays Verse" by blackash26 - A verse in which Young Justice (TV series) Bruce adopts all the bat kids much earlier.
Archives and Fannish Links
- Batman - All Media Types works at AO3
- Fanworks tagged Bat Family on AO3
- Batman section of Twisting the Hellmouth, crossovers with Buffyverse
- Fanworks tagged Batfamily on DeviantArt
- Knight List Knight List; archive link Description: "A list for fanfiction about Gotham's Dark Knight and his supporting characters. This group does not archive its messages."
- Nightwing (mailing list) Nightwing; archive link (created December 1998) Description: "This list is for fans of Nightwing, the orginal Robin - sidekick to Batman. FANFIC IS WELCOME! Even though the list is mainly for Nightwing all discussion of the non-powered DCU characters and the Titans is welcome here - so if you want to chat about Green Arrow, Arsenal, Black Canary, Oracle, Robin, the Huntress - anyone except the Bat (he has enough going on elsewhere) stop on by! Because the talk can sometimes be for adults - please no one under 17."
- See more at Category:Batman Communities.
- batfam_exchange, the Batfam Christmas Exchange
- Batman Family at Batman Wikia
- "Batman: The Deal creators discuss their hugely popular fan fiction comic" by Russ Burlingame on Comicbook.com, accessed 2013-12-08
- OTW Fan News: Wanting More accessed 2013-12-08