|Country of Origin:||US|
|External Links:||Official USA Network series page, epguides, IMDb|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
White Collar is a cop show on the USA Network that aired between 2009-2014.
The premise echoes both cop (particularly buddy cop) and caper tropes: a federal agent in the White Collar division of the FBI (Peter Burke, played by Tim DeKay) teams up with a con artist (Neal Caffrey, played by Matt Bomer) whom he once sent to prison. Neal's talents as a thief, forger and con man help Peter catch white-collar criminals.
Prominently featured in the show is Elizabeth Burke (Tiffani Thiessen). She is involved in some of her husband's cases, and has a genial relationship with Neal. Mozzie (Willie Garson) is Neal's old confidant and partner. Peter's subordinates at the FBI, who gradually got more screen time as the show aired include Agent Lauren Cruz (Natalie Morales), Agent Clinton Jones (Sharif Atkins) and Agent Diana Berrigan (Marsha Thomason).
Diana Berrigan is an out lesbian agent who appeared in the pilot and was referred to by Peter as his "probie". She did not appear in subsequent first season episodes until the finale (Marsha Thomason had a prior acting commitment). As of season two, Thomason returned as a regular cast member, and Diana became a full-fledged agent, essentially replacing the character of Lauren Cruz who left after the first season.
The original ads for the show gave every indication that it would be popular among fans, to the point that multiple people nominated the show for the annual Yuletide rare-fandoms gift-exchange challenge based solely on the ads.
Livejournal communities were also formed in advance of the show's first airing. Within a day of the pilot's airing, fanfic, icons, and wallpapers were being posted to various places.
White Collar is a fandom with a larger representation of threesome stories than most fandoms can claim. The Elizabeth/Neal/Peter ship is very popular along with the main slash pairing of Peter/Neal. There are also numerous fanworks featuring other pairings and a large amount of gen fic as well.
Neal has had three canon het relationships which after the canon ship of Peter/Elizabeth are the most common het ships in fic. Neal/Kate and Neal/Sara are both popular and Neal/Alex, shown in canon as a much less serious relationship, has a small amount of fannish interest.
Since the show introduces fans to Neal and Peter after they have known each other for years and sets a time limit on Neal's obligations to work with Peter, works speculating about their backstory are popular, as are works exploring the futurefic possibilities of the characters' lives.
The canon relationship between Peter and Neal contains subtext some fans have interpreted as part of a D/s dynamic. Kink fic featuring a BDSM relationship between Peter and Neal, or among Elizabeth, Peter, and Neal, is common in the fandom.
Unlike in many fandoms where kink dynamics often have to be written into the characters' relationships without much overt canon support, some White Collar fans interpret canon elements like Neal's ankle monitor, or scenes where Peter exercises control over Neal's behavior, and transform the subtext into overt depictions of a kinky relationship in much the same way slash is often based on existing subtext in the source text. Just like the show itself, many fanworks that are not labeled as kinky or containing D/s elements can be interpreted by readers in that way. It is possible that some fans are developing kink goggles in the way some fans have slash goggles.
The similarity in format between the show and Leverage have led to several crossovers. Crossovers with other shows, either set in New York or dealing with similar themes are also popular. As of September 2023 crossovers with Batman - All Media Types are the most popular on Ao3 with 1,450 works. 
White Collar hurt/comfort fics are almost entirely hurt-Neal stories.
Communities & Forums
- White Collar on USA - Yahoo Groups mailing list for discussion. Spoilers allowed, adult language/themes frowned on
- whitecollar_tv - LJ community for discussion and all non-fanfic fanworks
- White Collar Files - forum for discussion and fanworks
- White Collar Fans - Yahoo mailing list for gen fans
- White Collar Text Over Subtext - Dreamwidth community for discussion of White Collar canon (not for subtextual shipping)
- wc_no_spoilers on Livejournal and wc_no_spoilers on Dreamwidth, A White Collar spoiler-free support group for spoiler cleaned links to the White Collar Fic community and other fun things
- Collar Corner - LJ community for all-gen comment fiction.
- whitecollar_tv - LJ community for discussion and picspams and other fanworks except fic
- White Collar Files - forum for discussion and fanworks
- Caffrey/Burke - LJ community for slash fanfic for the Neal Caffrey/Peter Burke pairing
- White Collar Icons - LJ community
- White Collared - LJ community for non-slash fanfiction (other than for canonically gay characters)
- White Collar Fic - LJ community for gen, het, or slash White Collar discussion, fic, vids, icons, art, etc. No RPF
- White Collar Fic Dreamwidth community for discussion and fanfic
- Note: all stories posted to this comm get added to the The Wonderful World of Makebelieve archive unless the author specifically requests otherwise in her headers
- White Collar Fanworks: "I own you for the next four years" - LJ community for all White Collar fanworks. No RPF
- White Collar - Dreamwidth community for all things White Collar, including the Weekly Roundup of fanworks, news and meta posted on Dreamwidth, Livejournal, the AO3 and fanfiction.net 
- White Collar icontest - LJ community for weekly icon challenges
- 3 Way Collar - LJ community for fanfiction and discussion with specific focus on the pairing of Peter/Elizabeth/Neal
- collarkink - White Collar anonymous kink meme
- Two Mile Radius - LJ community for discussion and fanworks.
- On Her Dancecard - LJ community dedicated to the women of White Collar. The primary focus is femslash, but anything focused on the women is allowed
- White Collar Big Bang - big bang challenge on LJ
- Blind/Dates, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by Deastar
- Pay Grade, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by Deastar
- Uninhibited Truths, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by philote_auctor
- Sacrilege, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by coffeethyme4me for gyzym
- Origami, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by lionessvalenti
- Oblivious, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by orphan_account
- Hope after the storm, Archived version (Neal/Peter) by ashcat
- the sun works twice as hard (the moon is twice as far), Archived version (Neal/Peter) by spock
- Rock Star by Talitha, one of the first two White Collar vids made.
- Just a Gigolo by Luxbella, one of the first two White Collar vids made.
- Let's Misbehave by Greensilver, one of the most popular vids to date, showcasing the threesome dynamics outlined above.
- Pimp My Fandom: White Collar, Archived version by kriken and emmagrant01 and at Slashcast, September, 1, 2011
- Why Sara Ellis is One of the Most Feminist Characters on TV, Archived version by veleda_k (October 30th, 2013)
References & Notes
- Isagel. Watching White Collar 1x07..., posted 5 Dec 2009. (accessed 26 Feb 2010)
- Weekly Roundup posts on White Collar, accessed March 22, 2010
- I'm basing that "first vid" thing on the fact that it was posted six days after the premiere, and was the only one I'd seen. If I'm wrong, someone please correct this! Arduinna
- Both "Rock Star" by Talitha and "Just a Gigolo" by Luxbella were published on youtube on October 29, 2009. Nora Charles
- Popularity based on del.icio.us stats as of 10 March 2010. Mona