|Name:||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir|
|Abbreviation(s):||Miraculous Ladybug, ML, MLB|
|Date(s):||September 1, 2015 (South Korean premiere); October 19, 2015 (French premiere); December 6, 2015 (United States premiere) – Present|
|Country of Origin:||France|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Miraculous Ladybug is a 3D animated series created as a collaboration between French, Korean and American animators. It aired initially in French, but was subsequently dubbed in Korean and finally English. The order of episodes vary by country. Miraculous Ladybug is aimed at children but has a substantial older fandom, and it has a strong fan presence on Tumblr with it being the most popular TV show tag for several weeks.
Set in Paris, the series follows two superheroes called Ladybug and Chat Noir, whose civilian selves are Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste respectively. This crimefighting duo fights against citizens of Paris, corrupted and given powers (akumatized) by the villain Hawkmoth. Marinette has a crush on Adrien, and Adrien has a crush on Ladybug; however neither realises that their civilian self and superhero self are the same.
Adrien and Marinette are given their superhero personas by two Kwami, small, mysterious, animal-based creatures that seem to have been around for hundreds of years, and their Miraculous, magical jewels that give their wearers power. Marinette's kwami is named Tikki and Adrien's is named Plagg. In season 2, other kwami and superheroes become prominent.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng, aka Ladybug
- Adrien Agreste, aka Chat Noir/Cat Noir
- Alya Césaire
- Nino Lahiffe
- Chloé Bourgeois
- Gabriel Agreste, aka Hawk Moth
On Instagram, the creators have experimented with multimedia storytelling, creating Instagram accounts for the characters who post their own posts which tie into the stories in the episodes. Many fans follow these profiles and comment on the images.
Enterprising fans created fansubs when the animated series was first released to increase accessibility to those who did not speak French. When official English dubbed episodes aired, these subbed episodes were taken down. Subbed French episodes and Korean are still shared around as some prefer the feel of the show in French. A discord exists for MiraculousSubs where fans can discuss the subbed works.
The main ships are all variations of Adrien/Marinette, the "love square" that is central to the show. The "love square" is the complicated set of relationships between the two main characters, Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Ladybug and Adrien Agreste/Chat Noir.
Shipping in ML fandom is primarily het. The most popular ships by far in AO3 are M/F ones - as of August 2018: of the ten most popular ships, seven involve Marinette/Ladybug and Adrien/Chat in various combinations (three of which are platonic), two are Alya/Nino and Plagg/Tikki, and only one is not M/F (Juleka/Rose, a F/F ship).
After Season 3, Lukanette, featuring Marinette and a new character Luka, as well as Marigami (Marinette/Kagami), have become increasingly popular. Luka/Adrien is also present.
Minor ships that are common:
Minor ships often used as background relationships:
After Chameleon (season 3), dissatisfaction with Marinette's canon love interests lead to the crossover ship of "Maribat", Marinette and Damian Wayne (one of the Robins from the DC universe).
A common fan activity is theorizing about the show. The first season introduced a lot of interesting concepts that weren't built upon in canon, but Thomas Astruc has referenced on his Twitter as key aspects in a longer story arc, such as the origins of the kwami,  history of past Ladybugs and Chat Noirs , Adrien's mother,  and other kwami wielders.  Fans enjoy theorizing about these and other undeveloped story details. Astruc and other members of the production team are quite vocal and participatory in the fandom as well, often giving out trivia or minor spoilers on Twitter, which helps fuel the fires of the fandom.
A popular topic of fan debate is the order the episodes occur in. The show airs in three different countries almost simultaneously, but none of the countries air the episodes in the same order (for example, the first episode to air in France was the third episode to air in the United States). As a result, fans work hard to find details in individual episodes that could reveal some continuity.  
At the 2016 New York Comic Con the wielders of two kwami (the fox and bumblebee) were revealed. The wielder of the fox kwami would be Alya, while the wielder of the bee kwami would be Chloe. It also revealed new character designs for villians, power earrings for Marinette, the design of the peacock kwami, and the design for someone who would use the peacock kwami. These revelations confirmed popular fan theories (the wielders of the fox and bee kwami in particular) and started new theories about the roles of the new villains or who wields the peacock kwami.
- Revealed/Known Identities - alternate universes where Marinette and Adrien are about to become or already are aware of each other's secret identities are common.
- Pastfic - fanworks about Adrien's parents and past Ladybugs and Chat Noirs are popular due to their current lack of elaboration in canon.
- Futurefic/Aged-up Characters - as the main characters are fairly young, it is popular to age them up, especially if there is a desire to involve darker elements or smut.
- Kidfic - Marinette and Adrien (sometimes Alya and Nino as well) having children, which are often named as Marinette had wanted in canon (Emma, Hugo, and Louis).
- Alternate Universe - the most popular ones are Canon Divergence, Soulmates, and No Powers (with variations - sometimes it shows as No Miraculous, sometimes as No Kwamis, often a combination of both, or a completely Mundane AU).
- Redemption - for either Hawk Moth or Chloé (sometimes, Gabriel Agreste is included).
- ML Salt - The fandom's term for content focused on criticism or Character Bashing. Salt became increasingly common with the release of season 2, and is usually motivated by the perceived mistreatment of Marinette.
- 'Miraculous - there are many tropes and theories in fandom related to the Miraculous and their powers. These include headcanons and theories about how the powers work, their origins, or swapping Miraculous.
- Kwami/Miraculous Swap - where the characters have different miraculous/kwamis than the ones they possess in canon.
- Hawk Moth is Gabriel Agreste - before the identity of Hawk Moth was revealed, many fans believed him to be or liked casting him as Gabriel Agreste. (There is also the opposite trend - fans writing Gabriel Agreste as explicitly not being Hawk Moth.)
- Akumatized Characters - often Adrien/Chat or Marinette/Ladybug. The fandom created an akumatized identity for both of these cases: "Miss Fortune" (sometimes "Lady Fortune", or "Lady Miss Fortune", perhaps to make the pun on the word misfortune more obvious) for Marinette/Ladybug, and "Chat Blanc" for Adrien/Chat.
- Breakdance AU - invented by starrycove. Some fanart of the miraculous characters as dancers lead to the immense popularity of this particular AU. In many cases, the characters hide their identities and perform at "Club Miraculous" in dance battles against the akumatised characters(where the akuma versions are just their break dance identities). Often the normal identities do ballet at the same studio. [Further reading]
The Original PV
In 2012 the original promotional video (PV) for Miraculous Ladybug was released.  It was very different from the final product, featuring a different art style, different characters, and darker themes. The two main characters were an earlier version of Marinette  and a character named Félix , who was eventually scrapped in favor of Adrien. For various reasons it was retooled into the current Miraculous Ladybug. 
This PV garnered a lot of attention and interest in the concept of Miraculous Ladybug. It is still an object of fan interest, with fans inserting the original main characters into the current canon universe, often as the siblings or predecessors (or both) of Marinette and Adrien. When this is done, the original Marinette is generally given the name Bridgette.  Episodes from season 3, like "Felix", was met with significant interest from PV fans (Felix was the original Chat Noir).
Heartstrings by taylertot - one of the earliest, most popular and iconic ML fics
Tendencies Series by KryallaOrchid -Trope of taking on animal tendencies, an early and wellknown series
- Miraculous Ladybug Charity Fanzine
- Menons la Danse
- Lean On Me -  
- Merci Beaucoup! - 
- Up to the Test - 
- ML Fashion Zine - , 
- Spots On! - 
- A Little Light - 
- the question of who is wearing a mask and when by lettersiarrange, October 2018.
Links & Resources
- popularity of show
- Hey Miraculous Fandom! What if, by whiteflamedkitsune
- Day #4: History of Ladybugs and Chat Noirs Past by lennymcdragons
- Theory Time! by stray-chat
- Peacock and other theories by skaylanphear
- Miraculous Ladybug Timeline (COMPLETE) by thewalkingweapon
- OKAY NOW I HAVE PROOF THAT EPISODE 16 CAME BEFORE EPISODE 15 by thewritingunicorn
- Clearer images from Miraculous Ladybug NYCC Panel by miraculousdaily
- Miraculous Ladybug PV
- Zagtoon, Toei's Ladybug Animated Trailer Streamed
- Tweet by Thomas Astruc confirming Félix's name
- INTERVIEW WITH: Miraculous Ladybug executive producer, Jared Wolfson
- Bridgette Cheng by miraculousbox