Canon Divergence AU
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Canon AU, Alternate Reality|
|Related:||Alternate Universe, Canon Era|
|See Also:||Canon, Canon-compliant|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A canon divergence AU is a term used in some fandoms for fanfiction set in a universe that diverges relatively narrowly from canon, with a point of departure in a character's backstory or even during canon. The changes made to canon usually answer a question like "What if character X lived instead of died?" or "What if character Y didn't meet character Z until later?" In Discworld, this is known as ending up in "the wrong trouser of time."
Not to be confused with fanfic that accidentally diverges from canon due to being jossed.
Fan writers might change any event in canon to produce a wild variety of AUs, but for any given fandom, certain events make a lot of fans want to write an AU:
- Forever Knight: Last Knight story
- Harry Potter: Bring Back Black; Epilogue? What Epilogue?
- The Hobbit: a whole list of Hobbit AUs
- Horatio Hornblower: Live Kennedy Universe
- X-Men First Class: No Beach Divorce
- Impossible Magic by lorata. What if Cimorene didn't accept that she'd have to wait sixteen years to see her husband again, and then just try to move on with their lives? (2017)
- inimitable by coffeecrowns. What if Alexander "Don't modulate the key then not debate with me!" Hamilton lost his ability to speak sometime during the war? (2016-17)
- Pro Patria Vivere series by girabbit. What if John Laurens was just a little bit sicker on August 27, 1782, preventing him from engaging the British at Combahee, preventing his death? (2016, also American Revolution RPF)
- Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run by waspabi. What if Harry didn't learn he was a wizard until age 17? (2016-17)
- A Different Sort of Sorting by LullabyKnell; podfic by Opalsong. What if the Sorting Hat decided to take House Unity into its own (metaphorical) hands in 1982? (2016)