|Country of Origin:||United Kingdom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Discworld is the setting of a series of fantasy novels written by Terry Pratchett. The Discworld novels are noteworthy in that they parody many conventional fantasy elements, while retaining an affectionate stance toward the genre as a whole.
Fannish engagement in fanfiction tends to be either with the Watch (a.k.a. the City Watch), the local police force in Ankh-Morpork, or the Witches, an informal and acephalous (Granny Weatherwax would never permit anyone to be the leader of the witches) sisterhood, although of course other characters also get fannish attention. Crossovers in which characters from other fandoms meet Death are also fairly popular. The Na Mac Feegles, small blue-skinned Pictsie warriors who are able to travel between dimensions, are also popular for their crossover potential, as is 'L-space', a process by which libraries in different dimensions link together and can be navigated by the wise and/or desperate.
In-universe, survivors of the People's Revolution that ended the reign of a (particularly) corrupt patrician of Ankh-Morpork mark the day (the 25 of May) by wearing a sprig of lilac. In the Round world (following Terry Pratchett's diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease), Match It For Pratchett has called on fans to wear lilacs on 25 May in support of Terry.
A common trope for fanfic based on Discworld and other Pratchett works is the use of footnotes in emulation of Pratchett's style.
- Just Another Tuesday by rallamajoop. Crossover with xxxHolic. Watanuki meets Death. (2007).
- Feegles on a Firefly by SpaceAnJL. Crossover with Firefly, Mal and friends meet the Na Mac Feegles.
- The Cheese Stands Alone by shadydave. Crossover with The Dresden Files, the Winter Knight is sent to handle a small invasion.
- A Grand Sneer by MoragMacPherson. Dean slips into L-space and runs all the way to the Discworld. Supernatural crossover.
- The Puir Laddie Who Lived by Fojee. The Na Mac Feegles find an abandoned baby on a doorstep, and take him to the Discworld. Harry Potter crossover.
- The Brain Thief by hollimichele. Young Sam grows up, meets a girl, cracks a case, and tells a lie. Not necessarily in that order.
- His Grace Commander Sir Samuel Vimes / Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, a Vimes/Vetinari ship_manifesto by disc_sophist (Sep 2004)
Fanfiction Archives & Mailing Lists
- History Monks - a fan fiction mailing list/archive that dates back to the late 1990s. The FAQ for the archives can be found here and some of the fan fiction is still online here.
- Discworld FanFiction Archive
- Discworld_Fanfiction at Yahoo! Groups