This page is for the trope. For other uses, see Soulmate (disambiguation).
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Soulmates, Soulmate AU|
|Related:||Soulbond, Mates, Alternate Universe|
|See Also:||Mates (trope)|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Based on actual folklore and spiritual beliefs common to many world cultures, soulmates have been a common trope in mainstream fiction, romantic and otherwise, as well as fanfic, for decades, and is actually canon for some fandoms; for example, the TV series Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman included serial reincarnation of the main characters as soulmates through multiple lives, with the time traveling H.G. Wells using a device to trace them and send the characters' souls back to their earlier bodies. Some versions of the canon for Hawkman/Hawkgirl , such as the TV series Legends of Tomorrow, also use the reincarnation version of this trope.
Soulmates can be very similar to soulbonding (a mystic or psychic bond between two or more people), but soulbonding can happen through mystical means later in life, as opposed to soulmates who are always meant to be together.
Here are some of the prevalent ways Soulmates AUs tend to be devised in fanworks.
Since the movie TiMER (2009), soulmates sometimes have a characteristic or tell to help them find each other, such as identical or complementary birthmarks or tattoos, sometimes called a soulmark. The mark may be present from birth or appear at a set time in the characters' lives.
One popular version of the trope has the name of the character's soulmate written on their hand or wrist and has been around since at least October 2011, probably before. The fic prompt Kurt doesn't have a name on his hand. was posted to a Glee kink meme on October 13; in November, colteyes filled the prompt with This is a Gift. Because this is actually an inverted trope example, the trope had probably been around for a while already. On 30 December 2011 a similar prompt, "Everyone is born with the name of their soulmate on their hand", was posted to sherlockbbc-fic, a Sherlock kink meme. Soulmates' names on hands or wrists also appear in a lot of Hobbit fic in 2013, such as Your Name Like Ink on My Skin by thehyperactivesammich, posted on January 12.
Another recent trend is having the soulmate's first words spoken to them written somewhere on their body (usually written in their handwriting). This subtrope may have started with a viral Tumblr post by kenzie-no-mc (kenezbian) in April 2014. By May 7, people had started writing fic based on the idea. amusewithaview, a popular writer who FFA thought might have started the trend, reblogged the post on May 22 and had written fic for it by June. That first story, "Words on my skin, love in my heart", inspired 42 fanworks according to the AO3 inspired-by feature. Unlike kenzie-no-mc's original post, which said the marks would appear on the person's 18th birthday, amusewithaview's stories had the marks appearing when the person was born.
See also the Soulbond page for more examples of canon and fanon in which people recognize their soulmate through touch, scent, or by other means when in proximity.
Other signs used in fanfic that two characters are soulmates include soul eyes and red strings. Soul eyes are eyes that take on the color of your soulmate's eyes.
The red string, usually found in anime and manga, comes from an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend called yīnyuán hóngxiàn or the Red String of Fate. Frequently found in Japanese works, where it's referred to as akai ito or unmei no akai ito, the concept is that two people who are destined to be together are attached at the ankles by an invisible red string by the gods. In Japanese and Korean culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger. In fan fiction, red strings are almost always wrapped around one's little finger to direct the wearer to a soulmate, only joining together when the soulmate is found.
As with all tropes, there also exist a number of fanworks which explore its unintended consequences or try and go against the usual course of the soulmates narrative, for example focusing on characters who are platonic soulmates, who *don't* have soulmates in a world where everyone is expected to have one, who have several simultaneous or consecutive soulmates, whose soulmates are already deceased, whose marks don't match up in a conventional way, or who chose to be with someone other than their marked soulmate.
This allows creators to explore themes such as marginalisation, asexuality, polyamory, diversity and choice/free will vs fate/predestination.
- Bellarke AU Soulmates gifspam by bellamyblakc, "The world is black and white until you meet your soulmate. Maybe the world turns to color the first time you see them. Maybe it’s the first or hundredth time you touch them. Or maybe it’s after years of knowing them and the world turns to color slowly and everything falls into place."
- Branded with your mark (I wear it proudly on my chest above my heart) by ohmypreciousgirl, a Oliver/Felicity fic, It was common knowledge that everyone had a soul mate. A soul mate was someone who was supposed to be the right fit for you, the person that made you a complete being. It could take years sometimes, but soul mates were always bound to meet. It took Felicity twenty-five years to find Oliver.
- hold onto your heart (you’ll keep it safe) by aceofdiamonds, a Sansa/Jon fic, When Sansa turns eleven her wrist burns. She excitedly unwraps the cloth guarding her skin, waiting eagerly for the name to finish forming. The dark letters stop after only three and when Sansa leans in closer she realizes that she knows that name and she knows that handwriting already. Where almost everything is the same but people have soulmates on their wrists and Sansa can't believe hers is her half-brother.
- Devil In The Details by ChuckleVoodoos, a Matt/Foggy fic with fluff, angst, mutual pining, and secret identity shenanigans.
- An All Too Jagged Snowflake by RedHead, a ColdFlash story in which Barry and Len struggle with the issues their soulbond brings.
- Orange-Violet Blooms by Graziana, a Harry/Hermione fic, She can't look for long - her own fear starts to win. So, instead - adrenaline pounding - she screws her eyes shut, presses her smile into Harry's jumper and watches the glorious night sky through his eyes instead.
- I Am Not The Only Traveller by Graziana, a popular and angsty soulmate Cedric/George Weasley fic. Cedric Diggory first approaches George when he is five-years-old.
- The "Home" Series by Nan Smith; An immortal Clark Kent courts and eventually marries the next incarnation of Lois Lane.
- The Falcon (Multiple authors); "The Falcon" takes us to Italy during the Renaissance, where a bookish young nobleman and his beautiful wife struggle to triumph over evil in 1507. (First of a series chronicling the souls of Lois and Clark in different eras)
- Gentle Antidote by x_los (2014) has lots of interesting worldbuilding in the background, including the effect of soulmate Name marks on World War I.
- the relative height of a man in space as compared to his height on earth by bee_kind, A Rich Purnell x Mark Watney fic exploring Mark's relationship with his soulmark over the course of his life.
- Soulmate Shorts by ozhawk, various AOS pairings crossed over with other MCU and Marvel characters. It has so far has over 100 (and growing) ficlets of Soulmate AUs where the first words spoken is on your soulmates body.
- write love on my skin by amusewithaview, Soulmates Darcy could have had and the ways they could have met.
- ink my skin with your name by bee_kind, an anthology of reader/mcu characters one-shots featuring everyone's favorite soulmark trope.
- The Prelude by rosweldrmr, As far as Michael was concerned, aliens didn’t have soulmates. (Soulmate AU where where you don’t know your soulmate until you touch them & where color appears on your body wherever your soulmate first touches you)
- Fighting Instinct by Lunavere, "Soul mate is a term coined by our kind to describe the natural attraction between two weres, at least one of them being born into lycanthropy. It’s unknown what decides who is whose soul mate, but it is on a chemical and biological level." (Sherlock/John)
- Two AA batteries required. Batteries sold separately. by Xmarksthespot, In which Molly and Sherlock know they're soulmates, and everything is still the same. Well, almost everything. (Because Molly is still too kind and giving, and Sherlock sometimes needs the high that coffee and nicotine won't give). (Sherlock/Molly)
- Le Coeur de Lion, a Janeway/Seven fic, in which Janeway and Seven have been together through many lives.
- A Journey of Soulmates Series by Melissa Good, depicts Xena and Gabrielle as soulmates; when sharing an apple and a kiss, that connection gifts them with a child.
Communities and Websites
- Soulmates (community) for soulmate pairs, run by Nic.
- The Sentinel: A Spiritual Love is a The Sentinel fansite for Jim/Blair soulmate content.
- Soulmates tag on Archive of Our Own
- Soulmate article on Wikipedia
- Soul Mates XKCD what-if discussion of some practical issues related to soulmates
- An example of a soulmate trio is this untitled commentfic in the Sherlock BBC Prompting Meme on livejournal, posted 5 January 2012.
- An example of soulmates through multiple lives is the Star Trek: Voyager Janeway/Seven fic Le Coeur de Lion.
- See the works in the Soulmate-Identifying Marks tag on AO3. The "Soulmate AU" tag was created on 2012-09-18, the "Soulmarks" tag was created on 2013-01-11, and the "soul mark" tag was created on 2013-06-21. Soulmark or Soul mark also appears in stories on Fanfiction.net and Wattpad in 2013, and there's a reference to the trope as early as July 22, 2012 on LiveJournal. FF.net example, Wattpad example, LiveJournal. Prior to that, there may not have been a term to describe this subtrope, though fans were already writing it.
- archive link
- archive link
- soulmate AU where you wake up on your 18th birthday with the first words your soulmate will say to you tattooed on your body so you’ll know them when you meet them. post by kenzie-no-mc, 22 April 2014. As of 7 July 2017, the tumblr post has 732,657 notes.
- it sure left its mark on us by - Chapter 1 - ohmytheon - A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin [Archive of Our Own], Archived version
- Kenzie was very excited: SOMEONE GIFTED ME A WORK ON AO3 BASED ON MY SOULMATE AU POST, Archived version, posted to tumblr 7 May 2014.
- Re: Ask meme: Soul Marks, 2016-06-18.
- reblog by amusewithaview, Archived version, posted to tumblr 22 May 2014
- Words on my skin, love in my heart - amusewithaview, Archived version, 2014-06-09.
- chapter_4_endnotes (Accessed 8 July 2017.)
- Such as the Sherlock (BBC) prompt (and fic fill) that's "Set in a world where people can identify their soulmate through touch."
- The Suits fic Imprimatur by Closer is set in a world where people recognize their soulmate(s) through touch; "find your soulmate" handshaking events are mentioned.
- apharthurkirklands starts a new Soulmate AU
- Colour Soulmate AU tag on Tumblr
- [query=colour+soulmates Results of the "colour" + "soulmates" search on AO3 bringing more than 180 results as of Jan 16, 2016.
- In esoteric folklore, twin souls may have eyes the same color or other distinguishing features that show their relationship.
- Red thread of fate at Wikipedia.
- Red String of Fate on TvTropes.
- it's you i find like a ghost in my mind by [[magneticwave], locked to AO3 users, a One Direction story where characters defy their marks to chose someone else.