|Abbreviation(s):||T1, T2, T3, T4|
|Creator:||Director: Kenneth Branagh (T1), Alan Taylor (T2)|
Producer: Kevin Feige
Screenplay: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne (T1), Christopher Yost, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely (T2)
Story by: J. Michael Straczynski & Mark Protosevich (T1), Don Payne, Robert Rodat (T2)
Originally Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
2012 (The Avengers)
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, IMDB, official site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In the sequels Thor: The Dark World and Thor Ragnarok, many of the same characters/cast returned. A third sequel, Thor: Love and Thunder, is in development.
Thor, Erik, and Loki returned in The Avengers. Sif has appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Thor and Erik returned in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Thor, Loki, Bruce, and Heimdall appeared in Avengers: Infinity War. Thor, Loki, Bruce, Korg, Valkyrie, Frigga, and Jane appeared in Avengers: Endgame. Darcy Lewis is set to appear in the upcoming WandaVision series.
- Thor Odinson
- Jane Foster
- Warriors Three: Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg
- Erik Selvig
- Darcy Lewis
- Bruce Banner (Hulk)
Loki is the main villain in the first film along with Frost Giants, while Malekith (portrayed by Christopher Eccleston) is considered the main villain in the second film. Hela, Odin's first born child, is the main villain of Thor Ragnarok.
Though Thor was the title character, his adopted brother and villain Loki became the favorite inside and outside the fandom, thanks in no small part to a dynamic and sympathetic performance by Tom Hiddleston. Some fans cast Loki as a woobie, others preferred darker interpretations, especially after Loki appeared again as a villain in The Avengers. The original character created for the film, Darcy Lewis portrayed by Kat Dennings, also gained a fandom behind her.
While the Thor fandom was fairly active after the movie's release, it became much more popular after the release of The Avengers, as one part of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe fandom.
As with other comics-book based fandoms, many fanworks draw on comics backstory as well as the movies, sometimes blending them together to create new canons. Within the Thor fandom, fans sometimes draw on elements of Norse mythology as well. For instance, a number of fics feature Loki's monster children from Norse mythology, even though they are never referenced in the movie verse and not consistently in the comics.
In May 2016, Marvel officially revealed the cast for Thor Ragnarok with Thor, Hulk, Loki, Heimdall, and Odin returning. Ragnarok introduced Cate Blanchett as Hela, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge.
While there was excitement over the casting of Valkyrie, many fans disliked the fact that Portman/Jane Foster and Dennings/Darcy Lewis wouldn't be returning in the third film. Some fans were afraid this might mean that the Thor & Jane relationship is over, with Valkyrie as his possible new love interest.
During D23, it was announced that Natalie Portman would be back as Jane Foster in Thor: Love and Thunder and not just as Jane but as The Mighty Thor and the announcement of Valkyrie looking for her Queen since she has become the new King of Asgard. Much excitement and buzz surrounded the announcement even making the fandom trending on Tumblr and Twitter. Various fanworks and discussions focused on the Jane becoming Thor and Valkyrie gaining a queen.
Following the first Thor film, the complex sibling relationship between Loki/Thor inspired a popular slash pairing and a large part of the fandom. This ship isn't for everyone, as some fans dislike the fakecest elements of pairing the adopted brothers. However, it's the most popular pairing in the fandom by a wide margin.
Clint Barton/Phil Coulson also became popular after the first movie, due to their brief interaction.
The het pairings of Jane Foster/Thor and Loki/Sif drew in fans. Darcy/Clint, Darcy Lewis/Fandral, Darcy/Loki, and Loki/Jane all gained followings as well, despite no onscreen interaction between the two characters in the original film.
Following the release of Thor: Ragnarok, works pairing Thor/Valkyrie, Loki/Valkyrie and Grandmaster/Loki appeared. The semi-canonical pairing of Bruce Banner/Valkyrie also appears in fanworks but is less popular. Hela was a popular villain among fans, and her arc is similar to Loki's arc in the first film, leading some fans to view her sympathetically. In fanfiction, she is often shipped with other characters from the movie. Popular pairings include Hela/Loki, Hela/Skurge, Hela/Thor, and Hela/Valkyrie while ships like Hela/Thanos and Hela/Tony Stark—characters who don't appear in Thor: Ragnarok—tend to be rarepairs.
Interest in the pairing Jane Foster/Valkyrie increased after it was announced at D23 that Thor 4 Jane would be back and Valkyrie was looking for a queen.
- Thunderfrost and Thorki are pairing names for Loki/Thor.
- Thunderbird is the pairing name for Clint/Thor.
- Fosterson and Thane are pairing names for Jane/Thor.
- Lokane is the pairing name for Jane/Loki.
- ShockArrow is the pairing name for Clint/Darcy.
- Fancy is the pairing name for Darcy/Fandral.
- Tasertricks and Larcy are pairing names for Darcy/Loki.
- Frosthawk and Snowbird are pairing names for Clint/Loki.
- Frosted Doughnut, Iced Coffee and Coulki are pairing names for Loki/Phil.
- Darcyland a term used by Darcy Lewis fans to include any pairings with her in it.
- Frostmaster is the pairing name for Loki/Grandmaster.
- For a full listing of Thor fanfiction on Fanlore, see Category:Thor Fanfiction
- Chaos War by astolat (Thor/Loki, ~34,000 words). War, bonding.
- Athelas by astolat (Thor/Loki, ~19,000 words). Time travel, h/c, dinosaurs.
- Fallen Star by Alydia Rackham was one of the first long Loki/Jane fanfics, and inspiration for many shippers.
- Road to El Dor-Asgard by Muirin007
- Drew Struzan-style Thor Poster by SkinnyGlasses
- Thor by BenCurtis
- Jane Foster as Thor
- fem Thor by starkunlimiteds
- Set Fire to the Rain by talitha78 (Thor/Loki). Propably the first Thor/Loki vid and maybe the first Thor vid.
- Castle by Cantrous (Hela)
- A Working List of Thor/Loki Fanfic Recs - recommendations by savekeating
- Is Thor a feminist movie? (Yes) (accessed July 17, 2019) archive link: essay by Rachael (2011)
- Thor Ragnarok: A Splashy Box of Questions (accessed July 17, 2019) archive link: movie review by yourlibrarian (2017)
- What Heroes Do: Queer-Coding, Slut-Shaming, and Heroism on a Trash Planet (accessed July 17, 2019) archive link: meta essay on Thor: Ragnarok by illwynd and thebookhunter (2019)
Archives and Fannish Links
- Thor Kinkmeme
- Thor Slash - LJ community for Thor movie/comics fanfiction & fanart.
- Thor Het
- Marvel POC Fanworks Exchange
- Some believe that the relationship will just be written off, yet another MCU canon ship that did it. Spoilers ahead: like the Pepper/Tony relationship status is as CACW - broken up, despite all their history.
- astolat. LOL *THOR* primer podficced!, 10 June 2011. (Accessed 11 June 2011)