Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
|Name:||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.|
|Date(s):||September 24, 2013 - present|
|Medium:||Live-Action Television Show|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official Website|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is an American television show that premiered on September 24, 2013. It is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world.
- Agent Phil Coulson - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who oversees the division's field operations. The character was killed in The Avengers, but was brought back to life - although it is currently unknown how - even Phil doesn't know the whole truth.
- Agent Melinda May - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who's the division's pilot and weapons expert.
- Agent Grant Ward - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who's a black ops specialist.
- Skye - A civilian, computer hacker, and later S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
- Agent Leo Fitz - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who specializes in engineering weapons technology.
- Agent Jemma Simmons - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who specializes in life sciences (both human and alien).
- Agent Antoine Triplett - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who joins Coulson's team in late season one.
- Lance Hunter - a mercenary working for the reconstituted S.H.I.E.L.D., later joins it after his partner's death
- Agent Bobbi Morse - S.H.I.E.L.D. agent known as Mockingbird.
Agent Maria Hill makes a few appearances. Director Nick Fury appears in the second and last episode. Multiple comic book characters, including S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and super-powered characters, appear in various episodes. Many have altered backstories or appearances to help them match the world established in the MCU, see Category:Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Characters for more information.
The fandom is currently active, producing almost 3000 works on AO3 by the end of its first season and making almost 4 thousand posts in the #agents of shield tag on Tumblr during the season 1 finale. There are several active Tumblr tags, including #agents of squee (created to avoid the negative comments of some disappointed viewers after the premiere). By the end of Season 2, AO3 has over 10.6K and FFN has over 5.3K works listed for Agents of SHIELD.
Since before the show's premiere, the most popular character in the fandom is Phil Coulson who had gained fandom appreciation throughout his appearances within the MCU films. Although the character died in The Avengers (2012), fans campaigned for him to return which ended successfully and landed him is own show centered around his team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. By the end of September 2013, due to the premiere, released trailers and released information about the show (along with prior MCU knowledge), the characters Clint Barton, Nick Fury, Melinda May, Tony Stark, Grant Ward, Jemma Simmons, Maria Hill, Leo Fitz, and Natasha Romanoff were the most popular behind Coulson. The character Skye became more popular after the first couple of episodes. Second half of the Season 1 introduced Antoine Triplett, who quickly became a fandom favorite.
Season's 2 popular characters continue to be several of the main AOS characters: Phil Coulson, Jemma Simmons, Skye, Leo Fitz, Melinda May, and Grant Ward. However, Season 2 also introduced the characters Lance Hunter, Bobbi Morse, and Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie to the team. They are fairly common characters in AOS works, although Bobbi Morse had long been added to the MCU by fans due to her comicverse connection to Clint Barton and S.H.I.E.L.D..
Prior to the show premiering, a few pairings popped up due to the mix of trailers released and fan speculation along with prior MCU knowledge such as Lola/Phil Coulson, Lola/other fictional cars (such as Supernatural's Impala), and Phil Coulson/Melinda May. By the first week after the first episode premiered, the most popular pairing was Clint Barton/Phil Coulson with Phil/Nick Fury, Phil/Melinda, Phil/Lola, and Skye/Grant Ward as the most common.
After the first couple episodes at the end of October 2013, other pairings started to gain a following in the fandom such as Fitz & Simmons (as gen pairing) Fitz/Simmons (and as het pairing), Simmons/Ward, Fitz/Ward, and Simmons/Skye.
By the end of the First Season, the popular het pairings include: Skye/Ward, Fitz/Simmons, and Simmons/Ward; Common het pairings include: Coulson/May, May/Ward, Coulson/Skye; Rarer het pairings include: Simmons/Triplett, Coulson/Simmons, Fitz/Skye, May/Sitwell, Simmons/Sitwell, Triplett/Skye and Fitz/May. The popular slash and femslash pairings by the end of the first season are: Coulson/Clint Barton, Simmons/Skye, Fitz/Ward, May/Skye, and May/Natasha Romanoff with rarer pairings such as May/Skye, Coulson/Ward, May/Simmons, Fitz/Triplett, and Coulson/Fitz.
By the end of the Second Season, popular het pairings gained the ships: Coulson/May, Coulson/Skye, Bobbi/Lance, May/Ward, Skye/Triplett . Popular slash and femslash gained the ships: Fitz/Mack and Bobbi/Jemma.
Due to the appearances of several new (and old) characters, there are a lot more rare pairings gained in the fandom with Het and Femslash taking the leads. The new Het rare pairings are: Lance/Skye, Melinda/Andrew, Ward/Agent 33, Raina/Triplett, Skye/Lincoln, Jiaying/Cal, Lance/Jemma, Mack/Bobbi, Skye/Mike Peterson, Jemma/Lincoln, Lance/Agent 33. The new Femslash pairings include: Melinda/Maria, Melinda/Victoria, Melinda/Bobbi, Raina/Skye, Bobbi/Agent 33 . For slash, Fitz/Lance started appearing.
- 0-8-4 is a S.H.I.E.L.D. codename for an object of unknown origin which was first revealed in the second episode
- Science Babies is the term used to symbolize the Leo Fitz/Jemma Simmons relationship, it was inspired by the name Science Bros for the Bruce Banner/Tony Stark relationship. Science Twins have also been used to describe them. The canonical term for them is FitzSimmons.
- Skyeward (sometimes stylized as Skyward) - is the pairing name for Skye/Grant Ward.
- Biospecialist is the pairing name for Jemma Simmons/Grant Ward.
- Mayward is the pairing name for Melinda May/Grant Ward.
- Fitzward is the pairing name for Leo Fitz/Grant Ward.
- Skimmons and SkyeJem are the pairing names for Jemma Simmons/Skye
- Philinda and Mayson are the pairing names for Phil Coulson/Melinda May
- Fitzskye and Skitz are the pairing names for Leo Fitz/Skye
- Coulskye and Skoulson are the pairings name for Phil Coulson/Skye
- Huntingbird is the pairing name for Bobbi Morse/Lance Hunter.
- See List of MCU Pairing Names for all MCU pairing names.
- Her Story Started Here by charmed4lifekaren, May/Coulson & Skye, After hearing Agent Lumley story about Skye Coulson can't help but think of the similarities that the story shares with that of his and Agent May's daughter who was taken in the middle of night from her room when she was only 3 months old. He suspicion leads him to get Simmons to run a test which will change the dynamic of the team forever. (AU after S1EP12)
Season One Vids:
- Little Black Submarines by sohoblue123
- This is War by Arti Fanatik
- Run This Town by molliet13
- Comes And Goes by egoscsajszy
- soldier on. by OhChizzz
- Ready Aim Fire.
- I See Fire
- Everybody Wants To Rule The World
- I shot a superior officer in the chest (Humor vid)
Season Two Vids:
- Glass Heart Hymn
- Battle Cry
- READY OR NOT
- In Your Head They Are Dying
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World
- maka-what now? (up to 2x08, Humor)
- I'm so sorry
- bring me back to life (2x21/22)
- Best Day Ever (2x21/22)
- Top Secret Formula of OTP/BROTP in Marvel/Avengers (November 16, 2013), compares Natasha/Clint with Fitz/Simmons.
- Femslash Friday: Agents of SHIELD (July 11, 2014), femslash and overview of Skye/Jemma
Archives and Fannish Links
- aos-bigbang The AoS Big Bang community
- agentsofshieldbb (another Big Bang challenge community)
- Agents of SHIELD tag at Het Reccers
- SHIELD Kink, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. kinkmeme
- MCU Femslash - Femslash specific fanwork comm.
- Agents of Shield tag on Tumblr
- Agents of Squee tag on Tumblr
- AOS tag on Tumblr
- agentsofshieldcofessions (Confessions)
- agentsofshieldheadcanons (Headcanons)
- Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Italia (Italian)
- AOS Ladies
- Fuck Yeah Shield Ladies
- MCU Femslash
- aos-bigbang Mirror tumblr for the AoS Big Bang community
- Fuck yeah Fitzskimmonsward, blog for the OT4 but also the individual characters (Fitz, Simmons, Ward, and Skye) as well as any pairing between the four such as Fitz/Skye, Skye/Jemma, Ward/Jemma, Ward/Skye, Ward/Fitz, Fitz/Simmons.
- staticquakes (Skye/Lincoln)
- "He can never know", a gif of the lines from the show featuring Maria Hill and Dr. Streiten about Phil.
- So, I was procrastinating this morning and tried... lists 3935 posts in the tag during the 4-hour span between the finale beginning to air in the Eastern time zone and when it finished airing in the Pacific time zone. Posted May 18, 2014. Accessed May 19, 2014.
- So I had a thought. Posted Oct. 29, 2013. Accessed May 19, 2014.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Episode 21/22 "S.O.S." aired May 12, 2015.
- By September 30, 2013: Clint Barton (60), Melinda May (37), Tony Stark (20), Nick Fury (25),Grant Ward (33), Maria Hill (23), Jemma Simmons (28), Leo Fitz (23), Natasha Romanov (18), . (Accessed 24 July 2014)
- By October 14, 2013: Skye (60 compared to only 16 by September 30th)
- By February 7, 2014, Triplett has 1148 works.
- By February 7, 2014: Coulson has 17054 works, Jemma has 4452 works, Skye has 4359 works, Fitz has 3475 works, May has 3308 works, and Ward has 3243 works
- By February 7, 2015: Mack has 407 works, Bobbi has 523 works, and Lance has 491 works.
- September 30, 2013
- Each tag had by September 30, 2013: Clint Barton/Phil Coulson (55), Phil Coulson/Nick Fury (5), Phil Coulson/Melinda May (4), Phil Coulson/Lola (3), Skye/Grant Ward (2). (Accessed 24 July 2014)
- Each tag had by October 31, 2013: Leo Fitz & Jemma Simmons (21), Jemma Simmons/Grant Ward (22), Leo Fitz/Grant Ward (26), Leo Fitz/Jemma Simmons (13), Jemma Simmons/Skye (6), (Accessed 24 July 2014)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 22 "Beginning of the End" aired May 13, 2014.
- Popular Het Pairings; Each tag had by May 31, 2014: Skye/Grant Ward (483), Leo Fitz/Jemma Simmons (340), Jemma Simmons/Grant Ward (268)
- Common Het Pairings; Each tag had by May 31, 2014: Phil Coulson/Melinda May (129), Melinda May/Grant Ward (93), Phil Coulson/Skye (87)
- Rare Het Pairings; Each tag had by May 31, 2014: Leo Fitz/Skye (36), Phil Coulson/Jemma Simmons (15), Jemma Simmons/Antoine Triplett (15), Melinda May/Jasper Sitwell (11), Jemma Simmons/Jasper Sitwell (9), Leo Fitz/Melinda May (2), Skye/Antoine Triplett (2)
- Popular Slash Pairings; Each tag had by May 31, 2014: Clint Barton/Phil Coulson (402), Jemma Simmons/Skye (168), Leo Fitz/Grant Ward (85), Melinda May/Natasha Romanoff (64)
- Rare Slash Pairings; Each tag had by May 31, 2014: Melinda May/Skye (30), Phil Coulson/Grant Ward (14), Melinda May/Jemma Simmons (11), Leo Fitz/Antoine Triplett (6), Phil Coulson/Leo Fitz (5)
- Popular Het pairings by May 28, 2015: Coulson/May (997), Coulson/Skye (586), Lance/Bobbi (237), May/Ward (137), Skye/Triplett (111).
- Popular Fem/Slash pairings by May 28, 2015: Fitz/Mack (215) and Bobbi/Jemma (113)
- Rare Het pairings by May 28, 2015: Lance/Skye (47), Melinda/Andrew (36), Ward/Agent 33 (23), Raina/Triplett (12) Lincoln/Skye (10), Jiaying/Cal (6), Lance/Jemma (6), Mack/Bobbi (4), Mike/Skye (3), Lincoln/Jemma (2), Lance/Agent 33 (2)
- Rare Femslash pairings by May 28, 2015: Melinda/Maria (29), Melinda/Victoria (15) Melinda/Bobbi (6), Raina/Skye (5), Bobbi/Agent 33 (5)
- Rare Slash pairings by May 28, 2015: Fitz/Lance (9)
- 0-8-4 (code) at the Agents of SHIELD Wiki
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 2 "0-8-04"
- Science Twins