|Occupation:||Asgardian God (Norse Mythology), Superhero, Warrior|
|Title/Rank:||Son of Odin, God of Thunder, Son of Gaea, Son of Frigga, Protector of Midgard (Earth)|
|Location:||Asgard or United States|
|Relationships:||Odin (father), Frigga (step-mother), Gaea (mother), Loki (brother), Jane Foster (love interest), Sif (love interest), Warriors Three (friends/allies), Tony Stark (friend), Steve Rogers (friend), Erik Selvig (friend), Darcy Lewis (friend), Bruce Banner (friend)|
|Fandom:||Thor, The Avengers, Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Other:||Thor @ Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Thor's first appearance in the comics was in August 1962 in the Journey into Mystery #83. He had several solo comic runs from 1960s-present. He is sent to Earth by Odin to learn humility, he is made mortal and his memories are erased, he lives on earth for several years before his memories return and he again becomes Thor. He is one of the founding members of The Avengers, and almost always appears in Avengers comics. In 2015 the mantle of Thor passed to Jane Foster in a comic series featuring a female Thor.
Marvel Cinematic Universe
In the first film, after a failed coronation, he and his brother Loki wage war on Jotunheim. As punishment, he is banished to Midgard/Earth, where he meets Jane Foster, Darcy Lewis and Eric Selvig. They help him get back to Asgard and fight his brother, who has seized the throne in his absence.
In The Avengers (2012), he fights as part of the Avengers Initiative against his brother and takes him as prisoner back to Asgard.
In Thor: Ragnarok Jane Foster has broken up with him. Loki is still alive, posing as Odin. He discovers that he has a sister, Hela, the first born child to Odin who is determined to conquer the Nine Realms. Hela casts him and Loki out of Asgard. He reunites with Bruce Banner/The Hulk and forms a friendship with Valkyrie. Thor's hammer is destroyed and he loses and eye while battling Hela.
In Avengers: Infinity War he watches Loki be killed by Thanos. He meets the Guardians of the Galaxy team and gains a new prosthetic eye. Groot and Rocket accompany him to create Stormbreaker, a new battle-axe.
Thor is generally seen as a kind, if sometimes rash, character with a true hero's arch. Upon the release of Thor: Ragnarok, he was hailed as a "lesbian icon."
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Golden prince!Thor: Thor as the favored son and prince of Asgard
- Thor Loves Pop-Tarts
- Adjustment: Thor being unused to humanities quirks and customs
- Mating: benefits or complications that arise due to his alien status
- PTSD: Thor being effected by some of the traumatic events that have occurred to him
- Loki: with their stories being so intertwined it is rare to find Thor fanfiction without the presence of Loki
- Lady Thor: the reimagining of Thor as a woman is common, especially in fan art. Canonically the mantle of Thor was passed to Jane Foster in a comics series in 2015, sometimes artists are depicting this time period, but often the female Thors are of their own interpretation
- (Dr.) Donald Blake: In some fic, Thor uses this alias. It is refering to a comic book story arch, in which Odin banishes Thor to Midgard/Earth, into the body of Donald Blake, medical student. This is also canon used in the MCU universe, where Erik gives S.H.I.E.L.D. a fake ID using Jane's ex-boyfriend's name.
- Thor/Jane - canonical in most universes
- Thor/Sif - canonical in most comics universes
- Thor/Loki - the most popular pairing
- Bruce Banner/Thor Odinson
- Thor Odinson/Tony Stark
- Thor/Steve Rogers
- Thor/Clint Barton
- Female!Thor, Archived version by cccrystalclear
- IT'S THORSDAY, Archived version by Alicexz
- thor by tincan21
- Thor by LifeEndsNow
- Thor by Haining-art
- Thor by Ramonn90
- Thor by marurenai
- Thor by KidNotorious
- What were you the god of, again?, Archived version by thorodinson
- Anything can be fixed with duct tape by SSAerial
- Revival by longforgottenhymn
- Helpless by Ailendolin
- Laughing and Not Being Normal by etymologyplayground
- I've lost who I am by DslMJ
- looks like a new transition. by yawwnpanda
- hold me in your beating heart by Eva Morgan (Thor/Sif)
- the one that saves me by dancewithwolvesx (Thor/Sif)
- What More Could I Lose? by Slyfer2812
- Lightning and Thunder ⌁ (Thor Tribute) by Mr. Krepshus
Graphics and Gif Sets
- are you thor, the god of hammers?, Archived version graphics by kenocbi
- it’ll burn away your lies, Archived version graphics by shugyos
- avengers aesthetics: thor odinson, Archived version aesthetic edit by not-all-the-prayers
Additional Art Gallery
Thor as The Sun tarot card, part of a series, Art Deco Avengers Tarot by artist Julia Cross, this one in particular was shown on the Jimmy Kimmel show
Tony damisel in distress Stark by negativesd09, showing Thor carrying an injured Tony Stark. His character style based upon the classic comics
Archives and Communities
Links & Resources
- Thor Odinson posts tagged on Tumblr.
- Thor Odinson (Earth-616) at Marvel Database
- Thor at Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki