|Abbreviation(s):||T1, T2, T3|
|Creator:||Director: Kenneth Branagh (T1), Alan Taylor (T2)|
Producer: Kevin Feige
Screenplay: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne (T1), Christopher Yost, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely (T2)
Story by: J. Michael Straczynski & Mark Protosevich (T1), Don Payne, Robert Rodat (T2)
Originally Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Jack Kirby
2012 (The Avengers)
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, IMDB, official site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In the sequels Thor: The Dark World and Thor Ragnarok, many of the same characters/cast returned.
- Thor Odinson
- Jane Foster
- Warriors Three: Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg
- Erik Selvig
- Darcy Lewis
Loki is the main villain in the first film along with Frost Giants, while Malekith (portrayed by Christopher Eccleston) is considered the main villain in the second film. Hela, Odin's first born child, is the main villain of Thor Ragnarok.
Though Thor was the title character, his adopted brother and villain Loki became the favorite inside and outside the fandom, thanks in no small part to a dynamic and sympathetic performance by Tom Hiddleston. Some fans cast Loki as a woobie, others preferred darker interpretations, especially after Loki appeared again as a villain in The Avengers. The original character created for the film, Darcy Lewis portrayed by Kat Dennings, also gained a fandom behind her.
While the Thor fandom was fairly active after the movie's release, it became much more popular after the release of The Avengers, as one part of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe fandom.
As with other comics-book based fandoms, many fanworks draw on comics backstory as well as the movies, sometimes blending them together to create new canons. Within the Thor fandom, fans sometimes draw on elements of Norse mythology as well. For instance, a number of fics feature Loki's monster children from Norse mythology, even though they are never referenced in the movie verse and not consistently in the comics.
In May 2016, Marvel officially revealed the cast for Thor Ragnarok with Thor, Hulk, Loki, Heimdall, and Odin returning. Ragnarok introduced Cate Blanchett as Hela, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge.
While there was excitement over the casting of Valkyrie, many fans disliked the fact that Portman/Jane Foster and Dennings/Darcy Lewis wouldn't be returning in the third film. Some fans were afraid this might mean that the Thor & Jane relationship is over, with Valkyrie as his possible new love interest.
Following the first Thor film, the complex sibling relationship between Loki/Thor inspired a popular slash pairing and a large part of the fandom. This ship isn't for everyone, as some fans dislike the fakecest elements of pairing the adopted brothers.
Clint Barton/Phil Coulson also became popular after the first movie, due to their brief interaction.
The het pairings of Jane Foster/Thor and Loki/Sif drew in fans. Darcy/Clint, Darcy/Loki, and Loki/Jane all gained followings as well, despite no onscreen interaction between the two characters in the original film.
Following the release of Thor Ragnarok, works pairing Thor/Valkyrie, Loki/Valkyrie and Grandmaster/Loki appeared. The semi-canonical pairing of Bruce Banner/Valkyrie also appears in fanworks but is less popular. Hela was a popular villain among fans, and her arc is similar to Loki's arc in the first film, leading some fans to view her sympathetically.
- Thunderfrost and Thorki are pairing names for Loki/Thor.
- Thunderbird is the pairing name for Clint/Thor.
- Fosterson and Thane are pairing names for Jane/Thor.
- Lokane is the pairing name for Jane/Loki.
- ShockArrow is the pairing name for Clint/Darcy.
- Fancy is the pairing name for Darcy/Fandral.
- Tasertricks and Larcy are pairing names for Darcy/Loki.
- Frosthawk and Snowbird are pairing names for Clint/Loki.
- Frosted Doughnut, Iced Coffee and Coulki are pairing names for Loki/Phil.
- Darcyland a term used by Darcy Lewis fans to include any pairings with her in it.
- Chaos War by astolat (Thor/Loki, ~34,000 words). War, bonding.
- Athelas by astolat (Thor/Loki, ~19,000 words). Time travel, h/c, dinosaurs.
- Fallen Star by Alydia Rackham was one of the first long Loki/Jane fanfics, and inspiration for many shippers.
- Road to El Dor-Asgard by Muirin007
- Drew Struzan-style Thor Poster by SkinnyGlasses
- Thor by BenCurtis
- Set Fire to the Rain by talitha78 (Thor/Loki). Propably the first Thor/Loki vid and maybe the first Thor vid.
- Castle by Cantrous (Hela)
- A Working List of Thor/Loki Fanfic Recs - recommendations by savekeating
Archives and Fannish Links
- Thor Kinkmeme
- Thor Slash - LJ community for Thor movie/comics fanfiction & fanart.
- Thor Het
- Marvel POC Fanworks Exchange