- Are you looking for something else? See 100 for disambiguation.
|Creator:||Jason Rothenberg (TV series)|
Kass Morgan (Author)
|Date(s):||March 19, 2014 – September 30, 2020 (TV series)|
September 3, 2013 – December 6, 2016 (book series)
|Medium:||Live-action television series|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Wikipedia official website IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The 100 is set 97 years after a devastating nuclear war wiped out almost all life on Earth. The supposedly only known survivors are the residents of "The Ark", twelve space stations in Earth's orbit that had banded together after the war. After the Ark's life-support systems are found to be failing, the 100 juvenile prisoners are declared to be "expendable" and are then sent down to Earth to determine if it is indeed habitable again. They land on Earth and find that they are able to breathe. They form a community under the leadership of Bellamy Blake, who had stowed away in order to be with his sister, Octavia. Although eventually Bellamy and Clarke Griffin become co-leaders of the community, there is a lot of friction between them initially, which many fans see as the basis for a relationship between the two.
The kids quickly discover that they aren't the only survivors, forcing them to grow up fast. They struggle to survive on this new land with the other Earth survivors: "Grounders", "Reapers", and "Mountain Men".
- Clarke Griffin
- Octavia Blake
- Finn Collins
- Bellamy Blake
- Monty Green
- Jasper Jordan
- Nathan Miller
- John Murphy
- Raven Reyes
- Dr. Abigail Griffin
- Marcus Kane
- Thelonius Jaha
Due to Season 2's low ratings and fear that the show might be cancelled, many fans started promoting the show on Tumblr hoping to entice new fans to start watching, especially the Arrow fandom due to the show being on the same night as The 100. Various fanworks were created to attract possible new fans. The effort appeared to work because the series was renewed for a third season. Moreover, the show's introduction of [Lexa (The 100)|Lexa]], and the subsequent chemistry between her and Clarke Griffin, drew many femslash fans to the show.
- In 2015 The 100 was ranked tenth in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr
- In 2015, two of The 100 ships made it on the "Most reblogged ships" on Tumblr: Clexa (#8) and Bellarke (#11).
- In 2016, The 100 was ranked number two in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, gaining eight spots in popularity from the previous year and one of five CW fandoms.
- In 2017 The 100 was ranked thirteenth in the Top 30 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, dropping 11 places from 2016.
- In 2018 The 100 was ranked fourth in the Top 30 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, gaining nine spots from 2017
- Bellamy Blake/Clarke Griffin - the most popular het pairing.
- Octavia Blake/Lincoln - canonical
- Abby Griffin/Marcus Kane - canonical
- Finn Collins/Raven Reyes - canonical
- Finn Collins/Clarke Griffin - canonical
- Emori/John Murphy - canonical
- Monty Green/Harper McIntyre - canonical
- Jasper Jordan/Octavia Blake
- Bellamy Blake/Octavia Blake
- Bellamy Blake/Echo - canonical
- Bellamy Blake/Raven Reyes - canonical
- Levitt/Octavia Blake - canonical
- Jordan Green/Hope Diyoza - canonical
- Clarke Griffin/Lexa - canonical and most popular femslash pairing
- Clarke Griffin/Niylah - canonical
- Raven Reyes/Clarke Griffin
- Clarke Griffin/Anya
- Anya/Raven Reyes
- Octavia Blake/Raven Reyes
- Abby Griffin/Raven Reyes
- Niylah/Octavia Blake
- Echo/Hope Diyoza
- Lexa/Costia - canonical
Femslash pairings were fairly rare in season 1, but after the introduction of the canonically queer Lexa, and Clarke Griffin's confirmed bisexuality the fandom's interest in femslash pairings increased dramatically.
- Monty Green/Nathan Miller - most popular slash pairing
- Nathan Miller/Bryan - canonical
- Nathan Miller/Eric Jackson - canonical
- Monty Green/Jasper Jordan
- Bellamy Blake/John Murphy
- Bellamy Blake/Finn Collins
Slash pairings were also fairly rare in the first season of the fandom.
- See also: List of The 100 Pairing Names
Common Tropes and Fanon
- Alpha/Beta/Omega: "The 100 was (and is) a huge f/f fandom, and Blackrising’s popularity was instrumental in bringing A/B/O [there]. From The 100 fandom, the trope proliferated and got into other fandoms. A/B/O works differently everywhere—doing different worldbuilding around genera and social roles is one of the appeals of the genre for a lot of authors queering it..." 
- Episode Tags: episode related fics, may include Missing Scenes
- Alternate Universes:
- Arranged Marriage: fics often involve marriage for political purposes
- Fake Relationship
- Everyone Lives/Lexa Lives/Bellamy Lives: fics that ignore or undo canon deaths
- Hiatus Fics: fics set between seasons are common as each season usually ends with a dramatic change in circumstances for the characters
- Time Skip fic: set during the six year time skip between season 4 and 5
- PTSD: because the series covers a lot of serious events, writers will often explore how individual characters, and the group, deal with trauma
- Crossovers or Fusions: are common especially with other Dystopian or Science Fiction fandoms
- Post-canon: fics set after the series finale
- Adventure Squad: term used to describe a core group that goes on missions, or adventures, and tries to save the larger community, this group changes and flexes depending on the season
- Bunkerkru: fan name given to the people trapped in an underground bunker for six years after the second Praimfaya
- The Dark Year is Cannibalism: popular fan theory, proven correct in the later half of season 5
- The Delinquents: another name for The 100, because they were juvenile delinquents imprisoned on the Ark
- JRoth: fan acronym for showrunner Jason Rothenberg
- kru: the names of groups in the series end in kru, so fan groups will often end their names with kru as well, example: fans active on the subreddit call themselves Reditkru
- Sky Parents: fan name given to the adults from the Ark, sometimes referring just to Kane and Abby, other times used more inclusively to include all Ark adults, like Thelonious Jaha, Jacapo Sinclair and David Miller
- Spacekru: fan name given to the group who went into space to survive the second Praimfaya
- Team Adults: name given to the fans of the adult characters, which includes the Skaikru adults, but also Grounder characters like Indra
- For the full list of challenges on Fanlore, see Category:The 100 Challenges
- The 100 Femslash Challenge
- The 100 Kink Meme
- The 100 Ladies Appreciation Week
- The 100 Meme
- The 100 Positivity Week
- The 100 Rare Pairs Challenge
- The 100 Rare Pairs Event
- One Year of The 100
- Unity Week
Discussions and Controversies
Racial Aspects of the Show
The fandom has been paying a lot of attention to the racial politics of The 100. Although many well-meaning fans have mentioned the fact that most main characters are people of color as a reason to watch the show, the fandom as a whole has begun to talk about the racist elements in the show. One meta, for example, focuses on The 100’s construction of race, pointing out that in not dealing with race at all, the show fails due to the disconnect between the non-racist world of the story and the very racist real world that show is produced in. Another meta focuses on the anti-blackness particularly displayed in the show. Fans have also shown concern with the portrayal of Clarke Griffin and Octavia Blake as white saviors of the native earth population, which tend to be POCs.
Killing of Lexa
In March 2016, during season 3, fan favorite Lexa was killed by a stray bullet meant for her lover Clarke. This was shortly after she and Clarke consummated their relationship and were shown in bed together. Fans were angered and accused the show's writers of falling back on a well-established trope known as Bury Your Gays or Dead Lesbian Syndrome, which says that gay characters are not allowed to experience a happy ending. During the same time period three other lesbian characters were killed on other television shows, Jane the Virgin, The Magicians and The Walking Dead, leading fans to believe that there was a larger problem that went beyond individual shows. As a result of the handling of Lexa's death a fan boycott was organized.
Fans have criticized the show of creating the female character of Gina just so that she can be fridged, causing pain for the main character of Bellamy Blake and pushing the character into a uncharacteristic storyline. Gina was introduced two episodes before her death and given no background or character development, and was essentially a red shirt to be brutally murdered.
- this heart, fossilized and silent (once was tender and once was violent) by Chrmdpoet
- Unsteady by somethingofatrainwreck
- I'll Be Good by sirfeit
- 15 Ways to Build a Life by fandammit
- In the Beginning, There Was Fire by igrockspock
- (Baby) I’m Preying On You Tonight by Blackrising
- The 100 is a story about...
- May We Meet Again by meabhdeloughry (Octavia, Clarke & Raven)
- The 100 gallery by samanthadoodles (various characters & Clexa pairing)
- this is war
- Ready. Aim. Fire. (1x13)
- Ready, Aim, Fire (1x13)
- Fire, Fire
- My Hurricane
- Ready or not (2x2)
- Everybody wants to rule the world
- and I wanna fight.
- empire of our own
- run boy run
- our tired souls
- and you sing
- Ready or not
- What Is The 100?
- come little children
- May we meet again
Women of The 100-focused vids:
Relationship focused vids:
- See also individual relationship pages for more.
- So. Clearly for Grounders, having your hair done is a part of being an adult in the community by raincityruckus
- Mushy POVs and Narrative Sloppiness: How To Ignite a Fandom War in Two Steps or Less by hawthornewhisperer
Archives & Fannish Links
- The 100 tag
- Wonkru Network
- The Hundred Ladies - dedicated to all the female characters
- Ladies of the Hundred - dedicated to all the female characters
- Echo Daily - Echo
- 10 Reasons You Should Watch The 100…TAKE 2
- Reasons to watch The 100
- graffitisouls explains why she thinks the show is the best Accessed November 26, 2014.
- Most Reblogged Live Action TV
- Tumblr 2015 Year in Review: Most Reblogged Ships.
- 2016′s Top TV Shows - Live Action
- 2017′s Top Live-Action TV Shows
- 2018’s Top Live-Action TV Shows
- from The Rec Center #216 (February 20, 2020)
- More Reasons From Tumblr Posted May 20, 2015. Accessed November 2, 2015.
- Reasons to Watch The 100 Posted March 3, 2015. Accessed March 9, 2015
- i was incredibly wrong and racist to make a post praising the show
- Some Thoughts About The 100 and Race Posted March 4, 2015. Accessed on March 9 2015
- Anti-Blackness displayed in The 100 Posted March 3, 2015. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- i think the thing that disgusts me the most about the “bellamy has white male privilege!!”
- Insidious Racism in THE 100
- A wave of queer female character deaths has fans fighting to remake TV
- The 100: Why are the fans so angry with show boss Jason Rothenberg?
- The 100's New Fridge
- STUFFED INTO THE FRIDGE: THE PROBLEM WITH WOMEN