|Occupation:||superhero, circus acrobat, police officer|
|Relationships:||with Koriand'r, with Barbara Gordon|
|Fandom:||DC Comics, Batman (1966), Teen Titans (TV Series), Batman: The Animated Series/DC Animated Universe, The Batman cartoon, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice (TV Series), video games|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Richard John "Dick" Grayson is the original Robin and later goes on to become the hero Nightwing. At different times he has also taken the mantle of Batman. He appears in many different versions of Batman and related things.
Dick Grayson was introduced in Detective Comics #38 in 1940 and since has accumulated a lot of history.
He was born as the son of John and Mary Grayson, a young aerialist couple, and part of the "Flying Graysons". In his introduction story his parents are murdered and in the process of solving the case of their murder becomes Batman's partner as well as the ward of Batman's alter ego Bruce Wayne. Later the character was used with other mentored characters in the Teen Titans title, where Dick as Robin took a leading role. His role as part of the Teen Titans later leads to a split between him and Batman and he goes on to become the hero Nightwing. He was popular enough to get his own ongoing book as Nightwing in 1996. During the Prodigal Son story line and later during the events of Batman Reborn, when Bruce Wayne was thought to be dead, Dick also took on the costumed identity of his mentor.
His origin was changed in the post-Flashpoint New 52 continuity. (To what???)
In the three-season TV series and 1966 spin-off feature film, Batman, the Dick Grayson version of Robin was portrayed by Burt Ward. He later provided the voice for animated versions of the character, and the actor's likeness was used in tie-in comics and crossover mini-series.
Dick Grayson first appeared in the 1995's Batman Forever, portrayed by Chris O'Donnell. He takes on the persona of Robin after his parents and older brother was murdered by Two-Face at the annual Gotham Circus. He discovers Bruce Wayne's identity as Batman, he joins Bruce in crime-fighting. O'Donnell reprised the role in the 1997's sequel, Batman & Robin where Robin has grown frustrated with playing second fiddle to Batman and feels held back as his overconfidence causes Batman not to trust him.
DC Animated Universe
Dick Grayson, and his Nightwing identity, is featured prominently in the film and is voiced by Neil Patrick Harris.
Dick is one of the Little Black Dress characters who is shipped with many other characters. On the slash side Bruce/Dick, Dick/Tim and Dick/Jason are probably the most common as they are intra-Batfamily pairings, but he's also paired with Roy Harper (aka Speedy and Arsenal), Garth (aka as Aqualad and Tempest), with other (former) Teen Titans, and with other superheroes whom he is friendly with in canon such as Clark Kent (aka Superman), and many others. The character is also popular with het pairings, especially with some of his different canon love interests like Barbara Gordon and Koriand'r, but is also shipped with other female characters.
- Oracle & Nightwing by Jody Revenson; inspired many other stories. (Late '90's).
- Shutting Doors by James Walkswithwind, movie based Bruce/Dick (1995).
- Sea & Sky series by 'rith & Dannell Lites; epic first wave Tempest/Nightwing series. Also something of a shared universe, with a large number of associated fanworks by various authors/artists, including a wide range of DC characters. (1999 - 2006).
- Being and Belonging by Te; Tim-centric Tim/Dick. (2004).
- Hanging Work by Cereta; a much recced AU series wherein Dick Grayson was trained by Catwoman instead. (2005).
- untitled, Archived version Nightwing by stereowire
- oh brother don't turn, go on, go on, Archived version by Ming Doyle
- robinses by Ming Doyle (showing Robin I-IV)
- Robins by Jbadgr (showing Robin I-V)
- One for the Myspace Page by Noelleno, Dick and Tim art posted for Yuletart
- nightwing - contest entry, Archived version by Nightwing1975
- Workshop: Dick Grayson's Robin by Bradygirl in Superhero Muses
- Workshop: Dick Grayson--Nightwing by Wachey in Superhero Muses
Archives and Fannish Links
- Batman comics fanfiction tagged Richard Grayson on FanFiction.net
- Fanworks tagged Dick Grayson on AO3