|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A Himbo is a term used to denote a male fictional character, usually one who is objectively attractive, well-built, and stupid. The male version of the term bimbo, himbos are nonetheless seen in a better light than their feminine counterparts due to opposing connotations. Whether this is due to male gaze vs female gaze or the historical treatment of sexually promiscuous men vs women is down to debate.
The himbo is nothing so much as a teddy bear in Chippendales gear, hard of bicep yet tender in spirit. These gentle oafs are a special breed, too innocent to hurt out of malice or insecurity, too serene in their size and strength to even start a war of words.
The desire for a himbo is the desire to escape toxic masculinity without sacrificing the sexiness that comes with a traditionally conceived masculinity that looks like muscles, body hair and sweat. All too often, people who are attracted to men are offered two choices in media: a hot guy who will treat you badly, or a schlubby guy who will be nice. The himbo says, "get you a man who can do both."
Characters who embody the Himbo trope include:
- Thor, of Marvel Comics canon.
- Kronk of the Disney film The Emperor's New Groove
- Leon from Pokemon Sword and Shield
- Jason Mendoza of The Good Place
- Sokka of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Jaime Lannister of ASoIaF/Game of Thrones
kiwi on tumblr
I NEED A HIMBO
IM HOLDING OUT FOR A HIMBO TILL THE END OF THE NIGHT
hes gotta be strong
and hes gotta be fast
and hes gotta be dumb and polite
Resources & Links
- "It's a Great Time to Be a Himbo". Archived from the original on Dec 24, 2020.
- "The Himbo Is the Harmless, Dumb Hottie of Our Dreams". Archived from the original on Dec 24, 2020.
- Post by marcusanthotius on Tumblr (reblog by nobodysuspectsthebutterfly)
- "I NEED A HIMBO". Archived from the original on August 2, 2020.