Game of Thrones
|Name:||Game of Thrones|
|Creator:||David Benioff and Dan Weiss, based on the novels by George R. R. Martin|
|Date(s):||April 17, 2011 - present|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Official HBO site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Game of Thrones is a television series produced for HBO based on George R. R. Martin's novels in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The first season aired in 2011, and seven seasons have aired to date, with 10 episodes in the first six and 8 episodes in Season 7. There is no air date for the eighth and final season, but it has been confirmed that it will contain 6 episodes.
The series is set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos and interweaves several plot lines with a large ensemble cast. Although taking its source material from A Song of Ice and Fire, there are many significant differences between the books and the TV series, including character changes such as Asha Greyjoy being renamed "Yara" in the TV series to avoid confusion with pre-existing character Osha.
Additionally, there are many points of divergence between the plot of the TV series and the books, with more dramatic and numerous divergences as the TV series progressed. Whereas Season 1 closely followed the first book ("A Game of Thrones") and the first few seasons stick roughly to their parallel book, Season 7 takes place beyond the timeline of the books and the plot is mostly speculatory. Several events in Season 7 have confirmed long-standing fan theories, such as "R+L=J".
- See Wikipedia's List of Game of Thrones characters for a complete list of characters.
- See the Game of Thrones Wiki's Differences between books and TV series for a comprehensive catalogue of differences between the TV series and the book series.
Since it first aired, Game of Thrones has been under fire for excessive portrayal of violence, explicit sexual content, and particularly violence of a sexual nature targeted against women. It has been noted that this is typical of shows on HBO. This has been defended as historical accuracy, a claim which has been the subject of research and widely disputed in fandom.
Fandom started buzzing about the series when initial casting was announced and some familiar faces were in the mix—Sean Bean (LOTR, Sharpe), Lena Headey (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and Jason Momoa (Stargate Atlantis). Many members of the cast have appeared in Doctor Who. Even before the first episode aired meta was being written about the show, which only increased after airing. Popular topics include the faithfulness (or not) of the adaptation, aging up of the children, misogyny in the show compared with the books, and why Tyrion (played by Peter Dinklage) is so awesome.
The show itself picked up a significant proportion of male viewers, as well as the female-dominated transformative works fandom areas. There are large amounts of overlap between fans of the TV series and fans of the books.
- In 2015, Game of Thrones was ranked eighth in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr.
- In 2016, Game of Thrones was ranked number three in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, gaining five ranks in popularity from the previous year.
- A Song of Ice and Fire & Related Fandoms (which includes Game of Thrones) was the 23rd most popular fandom on Archive of Our Own in 2017
- In 2017 Game of Thrones moved up to number two in the Top 30 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr.
Some of the more popular ships are
- Jaime Lannister/Brienne of Tarth (Jaime x Brienne)
- Arya Stark/Gendry Waters ("Gendrya")
- Sandor Clegane/Sansa Stark ("SanSan")
- Jon Snow/Ygritte (Jon x Ygritte) - Canonical in both the TV series and the books
- Jon Snow/Sansa Stark (Jonsa)
- Catelyn Stark/Ned Stark (Ned x Cat) - Canonical in both the TV series and the books
- Cersei Lannister/Jaime Lannister (Jaime x Cersei) - Canonical in both the TV series and the books
- Sansa Stark/Margaery Tyrell ("Sansaery")
- Theon Greyjoy/Robb Stark ("Throbb")
- Renly Baratheon/Loras Tyrell (Loras x Renly) - Canonical in both the TV series and the books
- Petyr Baelish/Sansa Stark (Petyr x Sansa)
- Daenerys Targaryen/Drogo (Daenerys x Drogo) - Canonical in both the TV series and the books
- Daenerys Targaryen/Jorah Mormont (Daenerys x Jorah)
- Daenerys Targaryen/Jon Snow ("Jonerys") - Canonical in the TV series only
- Tormund Gaintsbane/Brienne of Tarth ("Briemund") - Based only on their interactions in the TV series, as they do not meet in the books
- D & D: short form for showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss
- GRRM: short form for the author of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R. R. Martin
- R + L = J: fan theory about the true parentage of Jon Snow, confirmed in Season 6
- Sexposition: the use of sexual scenes to provide information about backstory and character motivations
- Team Dragonstone: A name originally given to Stannis and his supporters, but it changed when Daenerys made Dragonstone her base in Westeros
- Ser Twenty of House Goodmen or Ser Ten of House Goodmen: characters jokingly created by fans, after Ramsay said he only needed "twenty good men" to infiltrate Stannis' camp
- The Purple Wedding: the wedding between King Joffrey Barathon and Margaery Tyrell, name chosen by fans because purple is a royal color and poison is hidden within a purple jewel
- Pink Letter: letter sent to Jon from Ramsay, so named because it had a pinkish hue
- Cleganebowl: name given to the ultimate fight, fans believe is coming, between Sandor Clegane and Gregor Clegane
Challenges and Activities
- Game Of Thrones Universe by Raymond Waskita
- Game of Thrones characters by d-r-a-c--a-r-y-s
- Disney Princesses as Game of Thrones by DjeDjehuti
- Game of Thrones by Fandias
- The Love Club, a well-known fanfiction based on Love, Actually featuring most of the fandom's most popular pairings.
- Game of Stacks by CommaSplice, Modern AU featuring multiple pairings
- The North Remembers by qqueenofhades, Stark focused
- Thistle and Weeks by sisabet, premiered at Vividcon 2011, is a vid focusing on the story arc of Daenerys Targaryen in season one.
- Flares by Zurik 23M
- Kings by jess9191
- Game of Thrones Fanfic Recs at TV Tropes
- Het Reccers "Game of Thrones" recs at LiveJournal and Dreamwidth
- Tags: Game of Thrones, GoT, GoTedit
- Shipcestuous GoT tags: Game of Thrones & GoT, "ASOIAF" is also used.
- Game of Thrones season 8: when is the final series on TV? , August 30, 2017 (Accessed 27 September 2017)
- Producers confirm Asha name change, July 27, 2011 (Accessed 27 September 2017)
- R+L=J: a comprehensive oral history of Game of Thrones’ ultimate fan theory 18 September, 2017 (Accessed 27 September 2017)
- HBO Slammed For Sexual Violence Against Women in Its Shows July 30, 2016 (Accessed 27 September 2017)
-  August 25, 2017 (Accessed 27 September 2017)
- Why is the “historical realism” thing always rape?, a thread following a post by drst on tumblr (Accessed 27 September 2017)
- List of actors who have appeared in Game of Thrones AND Doctor Who, and their roles by Major-Clanger (accessed 8 June 2015)
- Working blue: advance worries about HBO's series of A Game of Thrones by hradzka, 16 April 2011. (Accessed 26 April 2011)
- For example, Game of Thrones Episode One by facetofcathy, 20 April 2011, and The things I do for love. by marina, 24 April 2011 (both accessed 26 April 2011).
- Most Reblogged Live Action TV
- 2016′s Top TV Shows - Live Action
- What are the most popular fandoms on ao3?
- 2017′s Top Live-Action TV Shows