|Date(s):||The first novel was published in 1981. The series is still ongoing.|
|Country of Origin:||UK|
|External Links:||http://www.bernardcornwell.net http://www.southessex.co.uk |
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sharpe is a fandom centred around the television series (and, to a lesser extent, the books) about Richard Sharpe, a soldier during the Napoleonic Wars.
Sharpe (played in the series by Sean Bean) joins the British army as an enlisted man, and serves under Wellesley (later the Duke of Wellington) in India. Wellesley recognises his worth and promotes Sharpe as an officer, despite his low birth. The stories are mostly set during Sharpe's officer career, and deal with Sharpe's experiences in the Peninsular War.
Sharpe is accompanied by a handful of "chosen men", the foremost of whom is Patrick Harper, an Irish sergeant. Sharpe is married multiple times, first of all to Teresa Moreno, a Spanish guerrilla and fan favourite.
For related fandoms, see List of Military Fandoms.
The Sharpetorium, a now defunct site, held a number of Sharpe fics that were crossovers with Highlander, and at least one that was a Soldier, Soldier crossover, or at least had characters from that series. Fics from the Sharpetorium may be found on the Sharpe Compendium, a site set up specifically to preserve fics and information found on the Sharpetorium. The Sharpe Compendium is run by members of Sean Bean Online, a Sean Bean/Sharpe fansite.
- Richard Sharpe – He's a Rogue, But He's Our Rogue by the_stowaway, a Richard Sharpe character essay for idol_reflection (Aug 2009)
- Over the Hills and Far Away by Elspethdixon, a Sharpe/Harper essay for ship_manifesto (Dec 2004)
Archives and Communities
- Sharpe Appreciation Society, the official Sharpe fan club
- Sharpe Compendium (original site on wayback)
- The Sharpetorium, a Sharpe fansite (defunct)
- look_sharpe at LiveJournal
- sharpeshooters at LiveJournal
- rambling_soldier at Dreamwidth
- Sean Bean Online