Jon Snow/Sansa Stark
|Pairing:||Jon Snow/Sansa Stark|
|Gender category:||Het, M/F, Incest|
|Fandom:||Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sansa was the one who gave Jon purpose and motivation to be our hero again... Sansa’s presence reignites the knight in Jon.SOME JONSA COMMENTARY - hopepeaceandblackgirlmagic
In the books and TV series, Jon Snow and Sansa Stark were both raised at Winterfell. They were believed to have the same father Eddard (Ned) Stark, making Jon and Sansa half-siblings. There is some evidence in the first book that Sansa shares her mother's dislike of Jon Snow on account of his bastard birth.
In the sixth season of the TV show, Jon Snow is revealed to be the son of Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister, making the two cousins. At the time of writing, neither character is aware of their true familial connection.
Jon and Sansa were reunited at Castle Black in the sixth season of Game of Thrones, after not having seen each other since the first episode of season one. Following the Battle of the Bastards, they retake Winterfell from Ramsay Bolton with the help of the Free Folk, Northern Lords, and the knights of the Vale.
In the seventh season of the TV series Jon and Sansa rule side by side. When Jon decides to leave for Dragonstone to attempt an alliance with Daenerys in the War with the Night King- he leaves Sansa in charge of the North, validating her publicly as an equal to him. While he is South and the loyalty of the Northern Lords waivers, Sansa constantly remains loyal to Jon reiterating how he is their King.
From the beginning of the series Jon and Sansa had a small but dedicated following, but after the their reunion in Season 6, Episode 4, and their continued interaction through out the season, their fandom presence grew exponentially.
- In 2014, Jon Snow/Sansa Stark was the 6th most popular Game of Thrones pairing on Archive of Our Own
- In 2016, Jon Snow/Sansa Stark was ranked as the most popular Game of Thrones ship on Tumblr.
- In 2017, Jon Snow/Sansa Stark was ranked as the most popular Game of Thrones pairing on Archive of Our Own
- In 2018, Jon Snow/Sansa Stark was ranked 61st on Tumblr's Top 100 Ships of 2018.
- In 2019, Jon Snow/Sansa Stark was ranked as the most popular ship for Sansa in a survey of FanFiction.net, accounting for 29% of sampled fics. In a 2018 survey by the same source, it was found to be the 2nd most popular ship for Jon, accounting for 36% of sampled fics.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Salty Teens AU: "Sometimes, I long to write an AU with spikier, saltier YOUNGER Jon/Sansa, forced to get married because REASONS, and kind of hating each other even as they both REALLY look forward to going to bed at night", basically cousin-incest
- Modern AU: Placed in a modern setting where Jon and Sansa may or may not be related, often Jon is simply the best friend of Robb.
- Canon Divergence AU: Jon and Sansa are reunited at different points in the series.
- Cousins: Jon and Sansa are not raised as brother and sister, but as cousins
- Incest/Actual Incest AU: Jon is Ned Starks bastard and the half brother of Sansa, but they have a romantic relationship anyways. It is often the result of shippers preferring incest to Jon having Targaryen roots.
- Jon/Alayne AU: Jon has a relationship with Sansa under the alias of Alayne Stone.
- Dark!Jon: Jon is made a darker character, typically more aggressive and violent.
- Cunnilingus: Jon Snow does know one thing.
- Arranged Marriage AU: Jon and Sansa have to marry for political reasons.
- Fake/Pretend Relationship AU: Jon and Sansa pretend to be in a relationship together for various reasons, and develop real feelings along the way.
- Soulmates AU: One heart in two bodies-love that is meant to be.
- Friends to Lovers: Jon and Sansa either are friends or become friends and then become more than friends.
- Jealous!Jon: Jon goes full rage kitten when ever another man speaks to or about Sansa.
- Pregnancy/Jonsa Babies: Jon and Sansa dealing with pregnancy and Jonsa babies.
- Dramatic older brother Robb: Robb is either over dramatic in his practices of shipping Jon and Sansa himself, or dramatic in how over protective he is of his younger sister even from his best friend Jon-either way Robb is very dramatic.
- Post War/Rebuilding: After the War for the Dawn is over, Jon and Sansa must move on and rebuild Winterfell.
- Wildling AU: Jon and/or Sansa are Wildlings.
- Stealing AU: Jon steals Sansa and she is believed to be his woman/wife because of it.
- Fairy Tale AU: Placing Jon and Sansa in the roles of various classic and modern fairy tales.
- Historical AU: Jon and Sansa put into different historical time periods.
- Mythology AU: Jon and Sansa re-imagined into different Mythologies.
- Pirate AU: Jon as a pirate who falls for Sansa over the Seas.
- Spies AU: Jon and/or Sansa as spies who fall in love.
- Wolf Related AUs:Jon and/or Sansa are werewolves/shapeshifters OR are affected by pack dynamics.
- Main article: Jonsa vs Jonerys
- Watercolor by citruspeel
- Ship War by mother of pandas
- The Dragon and the Red Wolf by Jonsasnow
- The Kiss of Life by Amaati
- A Dream of Spring by Amaati
- The Kiss by Wolvesofspring
- Jon and Sansa's Journey by Wolvesofspring
- Jonsa Family by Melinaillustrations
- Kiss the Bride by Visenyastargaryen
- Jonsa 40's AU by Visenyastargaryen
- Trust by Tiny-little-bird
- A pup for the Queen of the North by lucife56
- Dance by lucife56
- What if I don't want to be your brother? by postcardsandroses
- Merry Christmas Jon by ayumi-chan
- Homecoming by cathcacen
- i won't let go by sweetsakura22
- Sergeant and Mrs. Snow by sweetsakura22
- Jon x Sansa by artofemmanation
- Jon, why don't you let Sansa drive for a while? by artofemmanation
- Reunion by chillyravenart
- A Winter's Tale by just_a_dram, The War of Three Dragons comes to the Vale, bringing Jon Snow and Sansa Stark together once more.
- hold onto your heart (you’ll keep it safe) by aceofdiamonds, When Sansa turns eleven her wrist burns. She excitedly unwraps the cloth guarding her skin, waiting eagerly for the name to finish forming. The dark letters stop after only three and when Sansa leans in closer she realises that she knows that name and she knows that handwriting already. (Soulmates AU)
- I'll make this feel like home by thewolvescalledmehome, Sansa Stark was said to resemble her mother in more than just looks. She was said to be the Stark child with the most Tully blood--the only Stark child that didn't have a habit of taking in strays. That is, until Robb brings home his friend Jon Snow for winter break. (Modern AU/Not Related/College/University AU)
- A Bronze Crown by sansapotter, In the end there are no knights. In the end Sansa must rescue herself.
- And All This Devotion, I Never Knew At All by Lit_chick08, Jon doesn't realize just how much he loves Sansa until their son is born. (Cunnilingus)
- I Won't Let You Be Denied by Queenofthebees, Jon learns Sansa's ex wasn't the most giving in bed and relishes the chance to prove her wrong about sex. (Cunnilingus)
- Crumble into me (It's all I want from you) by TheEagleGirl, Jon likes nothing more than hurting people and proving the world right about him. Why not do both? (Incest/Actually Incest)
- The moon licks the salt of your hand by honey_wheeler, Half of her may not be his sister, but half is, and at the moment, Jon is feeling things entirely unbrotherly in nature towards all of her, things that make him want to walk right into that water and replace her hand with his own, to feel for himself all the ways that she’s different and lovely and perfect. (Incest/Actually Incest)
- The White Wolf's Prey by GypsyMoon88, He had been watching her. For the past three moons now he had been silently watching her, a shadow and whisper within the vast gods wood trees of the immense castle. Silent, tucked and hidden beneath the trunk of the mighty heart tree. Ever vigilant. Ever observant. Always watching with his intense grey eyes. (Dark! Jon)
- Lost&Found by Janina, When she realizes the husband she knew had departed, and she now had cold & hard mobster in his place, Sansa fakes her death and starts a new life in Wales. And then Jon finds her. (Dark! Jon)
- Freia by Winterfelland, Sansa has never heard so much sadness and regret in simply a name, ‘Lyanna... Lyanna’s boy. I tried.’ (Cousins)
- Naughty Alayne and Lord Commander Snow by vivilove, This was not something Sansa Stark had planned when she’d fled the Vale. Her plan had been simple; to find Jon, her bastard cousin who was Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. She’d not planned on being seduced…or seducing him in return. (Jon/Alayne AU)
- like we're still dead by kingsnow, After the war, the King in the North travels to the Vale and takes a wife. (Jon/Alayne AU)
- What a Dissapointment by just_a_dram, Sansa Stark and Jon Targaryen are married and neither of them is pleased about it. Set in a world where Rhaegar lives and Jon was raised in King's Landing as a legitimized bastard. (Arranged Marriage AU)
- they tumble down by thimbleful, He meets her gaze for the shortest moment before turning to look out over the woods, gesturing at it with a gloved hand. “Is this why you brought me here? To talk about memories?”“No. I wanted to talk about marriage.” (Arranged Marriage AU)
- All That Glitters (is not Gold) by Rumann, Sansa is annoyed she has to give up a day with Prince Aegon to show his boring younger brother around Winterfell. Some alone time with Prince Jon makes her re-evaluate her opinion. (Rhaegar Wins AU)
- To Busy Being Yours by thisgirlnani, In which Sansa Stark insults her ex-boyfriend Joffrey and tells him she's much better with her new guy - in front of a dozen paparazzi. The only problem is she doesn't have a new guy. Enter Jon Snow, her brother's awkward best friend who she hasn't spoken 10 words to since Last Christmas. Sansa's a budding actress, so pretending she's happily a dating a stranger shouldn't be that much of a challenge, right? (Fake/Pretend Relationship AU)
- Bound Souls by Amymel86, Having a 'Bound Soul' is a rare condition and it's not an easy one to live with - what with the cases of Bound Souls actually finding each other being few and far between. (Soulmates AU)
- But She's a Forest Fire by Shippershape, She should go back to her flat, wash off her makeup and crawl into her bed. The mornings after one of these parties are the only times she can really sleep, so flattened by exhaustion that even the nightmares can’t penetrate the darkness.But she’s not going to bed. She’s going to Boston. (Friends to Lovers AU)
- You Don't Get Her, Kingslayer by kittykatknits, jaime rides to winterfell and bends the knee to sansa and becomes an honorable advisor, Jon is very jealous. (Jealous!Jon)
- A Person Called Home by jm_serendipitous, The moment her eyes alighted on Jon's he broke from his restraint. Stampeded down the stairs and vaulted straight for her. Composure corrupted. Propriety be damned. It was sweet, in fact, to see him again. (Jealous!Jon)
- Stranded by kittykatknits, Sansa sets sail for King's Landing to marry Prince Joffrey with her bastard cousin Jon to serve as her personal shield. Then, disaster strikes and the two of them flee only to find themselves lost on a deserted island. Stranded, Sansa and Jon find themselves growing closer. (Pregnancy/Jonsa Babies)
- A Pink Strip by asongforjonsa, Five weeks after Sam & Gilly's wedding, Sansa makes a discovery (Pregnancy/Jonsa Babies)
- Because She Promised by bikadoo_2, She made promises, to keep them safe. And Starks keep their promises. (Post War/Rebuilding AU)
- A lady in the dragon's den by myrish_lace, Sansa Stark comes to King's Landing to meet the Targaryen court, and to be introduced to Aegon Targaryen. But Aegon's brother Jon falls for Sansa when they share an initially awkward dance. (Cousins AU)
- A Willing Captive by AvaRosier, Where Jon is raised north of the wall, and the Queen of the North marries the wildlng prince for peace. (Wildling AU)
- The White Wolf and the Maiden Fair by sassylorastyrell, Jon is a wildling, who meets and falls in love with Queen in the North Sansa (Wildling AU)
- Princess Furball by WendyNerd, When Sansa's father announces his intent to marry her, she attempts to trick him out of it, demanding impossible gifts. When her father inexplicably succeeds in fulfilling her requests, Sansa fakes her death and flees her father's kingdom in a coat of many pelts. Sheltered by her trusty direwolf, Lady, Sansa is found by the prince of a foreign realm, who christens her "Furball". The former princess hides out working in the king's kitchens as a curiously humanoid animal as war looms. But things change when two kings and a prince die... (Fairy Tale AU)
- Once Upon A Dream by azulaahai, Sansa is under a curse - fallen into a magical sleep, she, according to the prophecy, can only be awoken by a kiss from a dragon. Arya rides south to ask for help from the dragon king Aegon, but the king’s grumpy half brother Jon might prove to be an obstacle. (Fairy Tale AU)
- give a little heat to the heart that was born to run by kattyshack, When Jon accepts his friend Robb’s invitation to spend the summer at the Starks’ vacation house, he looks forward to little more than a rowdy holiday with the boys. But his expectations are far and away exceeded when he meets Robb’s sharp-tongued, knock-you-to-your-knees sister. (Dramatic Older Brother Robb)
- Isn't it Strange? by marshybeans, Jon and Sansa find their relationship changing after one break up and one drunken kiss, but will it all come crashing down once Robb finds out? And how do you fix a relationship that has barely even begun? (Dramatic Older Brother Robb)
- Light of My Life by Lemoncake_Chioni, It all starts when Rhaegar causes a war between gods and mortals by stealing Lyanna, who he claims to be the most beautiful woman in the world. His sister Daenerys, scorned by this apparent insult, fails to inform him when Lyanna goes into labour and she dies giving birth to Jon. (Mythology AU)
- Flowers of the Dead by TheEagleGirl, "You do not think about the consequences. Few gods ever do.” Sansa cannot help herself. She touches her lips to the center of his palm. “And mortals do?” Jon nods, solemn. “We have to live with our decisions,” he tells her. “You get to outlive them.” (Mythology AU)
- Heart On Your Sleeve, Like You've Never Been Loved by Melissa_Alexander, Sansa Stark is a creature of duty, and as such she has suffered quietly but resolutely in her marriage to Joffrey Baratheon. So when a bet at the colosseum gives Sansa the opportunity to be free of her husband for the summer, she does not protest, and thus joins her sister-in-law at her ancestral home for the season; but not before a chance encounter with one of Margaery's gladiators makes Sansa question how dutiful she can truly be to her husband, when it's a stranger—High Garden's champion, Jon—who ignites within her a passion she's never known. (Historical AU)
- the burning season by sevenfoxes, He comes home and Sansa is exactly as Bran had written: different. She’d been quiet growing up, at least to Jon, but the stony, steel-spined woman who lets him hug her on the dusty porch and whisper out his guilt into her skin is leagues away from the girl he left behind. The girl he left behind to keep safe. (Those Targaryens. They’ll bite down until they taste blood.) When they were younger, she’d always looked at him like he was a betrayal. To what, Jon was never sure. Her mother, who loathed Jon as evidence that her husband was a flawed, mortal man. Her father, whose honour outside of Jon’s existence was beyond reproach. Her siblings, who all treated him as the brother that Sansa never did. Now she looks at him like the betrayed. “Welcome home,” she says with a brittle voice, but she touches the scar that runs through his eyebrow, a gift from the oil fields. (Historical AU)
- The Northern Pirate by TheAsexualScorpio, To celebrate his victory on the Blackwater, Joffrey decides to take his new ship on its maiden voyage. Sansa is on board King Joffrey’s Valor when it’s captured by pirates. She and Joffrey are taken hostage, and Captain Jon Snow takes a liking to one of his captives. (Pirate AU)
- In The Company of Wolves by Melissa_Alexander, There’s a beast prowling in the Wolfswood forest, just outside of the small village of Winterfell .... (Wolf Related AU)
- Burn With Me by dansunedisco, Not soon after her bastard brother presents as an alpha, Sansa succumbs to heat fever. (Wolf Related AU)
- Count to a Hundred, I'll Find You by Jeanettesc, The right time comes after years of denial. When he has nothing else to lose, Jon finds himself incapable of holding back any longer. It starts in the dark, as he discovers Sansa is the light pulling him from the world of hate he longs to escape. (Spies AU)
- all dressed up for a hit and run by dropofrum (95echelon), "I had a date," she hisses. "I had reservations. Until you set the Italian Houses of Parliament on fire." "A very small fire!" he protests. "That I immediately put out! Doesn't that count?!" (Spies AU)
- Counting Paths by icecubesteve rogers
- Strange Birds by AnneSoshi
- i can't save us by TheHowlingTempest (This video was liked on Twitter by Actor Liam Cunningham who plays the character Davos Seaworth)
- Ned&Catelyn||Second Coming by LadyofAlderaan
- between the lines by luthientinuviel
- I love you. Truely. (Marriage AU) by AerisVideos
- counting paths by heartdust
- i am lost. by machiavelling!
- How Was I To Know by Tap101Dancer
- Saturn by space
- Closer by gaby0189x
- I would give anything by sirmarilia
- How rare and beautiful by Little Finger
- I've Seen Your Eyes Before by katerinaptrv
- you're not alone by xariane
- Wake Your Soul by MadrigalP
- My Baby by LaurenMichelle
- Basic Instinct by AnneSoshi
- Believe by meeshell384
- We Bleed the Same by Estaaaas
- Silhouette by royalsea
- The Princess Bride by ldtProductions2
- in this shirt by inhumanemonster
- Rubik's cube by Astrid Bulet
- SOME JONSA COMMENTARY by hopepeaceandblackgirlmagic
- Fandom Made Me Do It: A Case Study on Shipping Jon/Sansa in Game of Thrones by Heather Waters
- Costume Parallels by a-baleful-howl
- The Kiss by jonsameta
- King Jon & Queen Sansa: Clues & Foreshadowing by Feuerhexe
- Original Plot Meta by to-bury-the-castle
- A Time for Wolves-The Case for Jon and Sansa by blindestspot
- Jon & Sansa is the positive mirror to Cersei & Jaime by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- Scale of the Dragon, Tooth of the Wolf: ASOIAF and the War of the Roses by kitten1618x
- Winterfell = Ithaca by ladyandtheghost
- Jon's Honor/Duty for Love by jonsa101
- Why arent you Happy by scullylikesscience
- Kill The Girl by scullylikesscience
- Our best hope may be the Eyrie by butterflies-dragons
- A View from Behind the Camera by bitchcakegreen
- All is Subtext-a case for Jon and Sansa by trinuveil
- Stark Lineage by occupyvenus
- The Ultimate Jonny chokes Littlefinger Breakdown by occupyvenus
- Tolkein and GRRM-The tale of Beren and Luthien and the allusions to Jonsa by fedonciadale
- Florian and Jonquil by fedonciadale and others in comments
- The problem with Pomegranates by queen-of-thornsx
- The blood of Winterfell by occupyvenus
- What do I want with snowballs by theons
- why melisandre's prophecy is about sansa by loveroflemons
- The tourney at Ashford theory by bluefoot3
- Edd, fetch me a block by goodqueenalys
- Brave Gentle Strong by butterflies-dragons
- Re-thinking the Stark Siblings by castaliareed
- The Son(g) of Ice and Fire by winterfelland
- Will we see a marriage between Jon and Sansa in Game of Thrones? by howlinwolfwb
- Identity and Idiolect by eliamartvll
- The future of House Stark by ladyjonquilinthenorth
- Children of the Mountain by butterflies-dragons
- Sansa Stark: A Wolf with Dragon Wings by butterflies-dragons
- We're all just Songs in the end. If we are lucky: Jenny of Oldstone and the Prince of the Dragonflies by butterflies-dragons
- Jonsa Dynamic by sherlokiness
- Traitor's Seed: Revelations in Sansa IV and Jon VII of A Game of Thrones by castaliareed
- One season early-Tower of Joy scene in season 6 by everythingjonsa
- The Cruel and the Weak by shinynewrevulsions
- Sansa Stark & Arianne Martell: The Hard Road to Marriage by lady-in-a-song
- Jon, Sansa and the interlopers by Kelsey L. Hayes
- The function of secret parentage in fiction and the consequences for Jon Snow by fedonciadale
- Spoilers-Jon and Sansa Connections by 3headeddragon
- Ned's two biggest lies for Jon and Sansa by lostlittlesatellites
- Disfigurements by sxpiosexual
- Sansa Stark: A Winters Rose? by lostlittlesatellites
- actions Bryan Cogman Commentary by wintersqueen
- Horses and Flowers by lostlittlesatellites
- The Northerners Daughter(s) by lostlittlesatellites
- Sansa, the Vale and Mountain Clans by lostlittlesatellites
- Sansa's Song by nonagaye
- What is the purpose of Jon’s secret parentage reveal? by lostlittlesatellites
- Why Jon will survive: The beginning of subverting Westerosi Classism by lostlittlesatellites
- The Parallel Journey of Jon Snow and Sansa Stark by swordinthedarkness
- Why I ship Jon x Sansa and you should to by ludus
- From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa X
- Sansa and Ned, Kingmakers by him-e
- Marrying Your Cousin by justadram
- Jon and Sansa, a real Possibility? by wandering-scavenger
- An Opinion on Jon x Sansa by volchitza
- Auburn Love by halfawolf
- Jon and Sansa? A Twist of Fate by The13Kings_of_Winter
- Jonsa book reunion by goodqueenalys
- Show Meta by goodqueenalys
- Jonsa Chemistry by goodqueenalys
- Incest and Tragedy in ASOIAF by thewesterwoman
- The pig boy and the princess by fedonciadale
- Singers singing songs and their impact on characters in ASOIAF (I-IV) by fedonciadale
- Sansa's Beauty and the Beast Arc pt 1-5 by lady-in-a-song
- How the Prologue of AGOT proves Jonsa is Endgame by lady-in-a-song
- Princess in the Tower by lady-in-a-song
- Sansa in Winterfell in WoW by lady-in-a-song
- Would that be so terrible? by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- A Hidden and Forbidden Love by lady-in-a-song
Political! Jon also referred to as Undercover Lover Jon is a theory developed during season seven of Game of Thrones when Jon bends the knee to Daenerys and gives up the North's Independence. It is a very divisive theory where some feel like the idea destroys Jon's character and makes him a dishonorable man-where as other's feel like the theory saves Jon's honor and characterization.
- Ice and the Bride of Fire: Will Jon be Dany's Treason for Love? by thewesterwoman
- House Stark and the Northern Fool Fallacy by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- Political Jon Theory by thelawyerthatwaspromised and melissa-blogs
- Book!Jon holds everyone in contempt by rose-of-red-lake
- Pledges and Oaths in Westeros by thatfictionalgal
- Stannis & Daenerys-A Study on Political Jon by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- Beware the Perfumed Seneschal by shinynewrevulsions
- Regarding the Undercover Theory by occupyvenus and rose-of-red-lake
- Jon Snow Bent the Knee-and Expects the Alliance to Fail (eventually) by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- Consequences by scullylikesscience
- Kill the boy by direwolf-kings-in-the-north
- Jon Snow's Top 10 Lies by rose-of-red-lake
- Kit Harington calling Season 7 Jon a Politician by natasomewhere1401
- Cyvasse by rose-of-red-lake
- The Melodies of Manipulation: A Study of Jonerys cues in the s7 soundtrack by direwolves-kings-in-the-north
- A politician in five acts by rose-of-red-lake
- The Northern Fool Fallacy and Jon Snow's Motivations in Season 7 by Katie Majka
- Analyzing Jon's speech patterns around Dany and Sansa by thelawyerthatwaspromised
- The Second Dance of the Dragons by lady-in-a-song
Archives & Fannish Links
- Tumblr tags: jon x sansa, sansa x jon, jonsa, actually jonsa
- Jon and Sansa Gifs
- Jon x Sansa Fanfiction
- Jon x Sansa Remix
- Jonsa Creatives
- Jonsa Meta
- Shipcestuous "Jon/Sansa" tags: jon and sansa, fanfiction, images, commentary, au, crossover
- SOME JONSA COMMENTARY
- People Really Want Jon Snow and Sansa Stark to Get Together Now
- Let’s look at some Westerosi stats
- Fandometrics In Depth: Game of Thrones Edition
- ASOIAF/Game of Thrones fandom stats
- 2018’s Top Ships
- Phantom Statistician: Sansa's FanFiction Shipping Chart 2013 - Present
- Phantom Statistician: Jon Snow's FanFiction Shipping Chart 2013 - Present
- Salty Teens Au Masterlist