Fairy Tale AU
|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||AU, Fusion, Fantasy|
|See Also:||Elf AU, Royalty AU, Historical AU, Fairytale Romance|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fairy Tale AUs are fanfics, and sometimes art or vids, that put the canon characters in situations and/or settings from fairy tales. They include a wide range of stories: fusions with movies or books or the fairy tales the fanworks are based on, fanworks that only use some fairy tale elements, and fanworks that follow a classic "fairy tale romance" plot structure.
Most frequently fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, or Disney are used as inspiration, but works that use myths and fairy tales from other cultures exist as well.
- Joxer Fairy Tales, a gen Xena & Hercules zine with stories inspired by fairy tales
- Kuro to Ao by xparrot, a SGA story by based on Japanese myths
- The Travels of Lucky Luffy by hibem, a One Piece story that incorporates several fairy tale elements
- The Prince and the Captured Moon by oxoniensis, a (Merlin) story in which goblins capture the moon, and a brave prince rides out on a quest.
- Storytime, in which fairytales and classic literature are acted out by Doctor Who characters for the entertainment of their toddler versions.
- Merlin: Omen by Val_Creative. Sorcerers no longer existed. The man in the glass coffin must be dead. Pairing: Merlin/Arthur
- Supernatural: Impostor in A Strange Land by embroiderama. Jessica Moore wasn't who she seemed to be, but she still had to find her own way.
- Teen Wolf: Fairytale by cheesewithmy. Stiles had shifted around awkwardly by the dead animals, holding a sixty gallon trash bag, because his mom had loved cats, okay, and he wasn’t just going to leave those there to, like, rot, they were kitten sized for fuck’s sake. He’d been glad that he couldn’t smell whatever it was that was stressing his more lupine acquaintances out. And then Derek had growled, “Elves,” all fangs and red eyes.
- twisted this feeling walked out of shape by Merideath (Agent Carter, 2016) offers a twist on the "owing a witch your firstborn child" trope.
- West of the Moon, East of the Sun by KnifeEdge, was heavily influenced by a Norweigen fairytale, East of the Sun and West of the Moon
- When the Moon Fell in Love with the Sun by Mejhiren, Hunger Games story inspired by East of the Sun and West of the Moon
cover of The Prince and the Captured Moon, showing Merlin as the Man in the Moon
Art by alby_mangroves for The Long Road to Lynbrook (MCU) (2017)