|Date(s):||1987 (novel), 1990 (mini-series), 2017 & 2019 (film)|
|Medium:||novel, live-action film|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||It (novel) at Wikipedia, It (1990 mini-series), It (2017 film) at Wikipedia, It (2019 film), IMDB - 1990, IMDB - 2017, IMDB - 2019|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
IT is an American supernatural horror novel by Stephen King. It has been adapted into a TV series and multiple films.
Most of the fandom is based on the reboot films, "IT Chapter One" and "IT Chapter 2," directed by Andrés Muschietti.
- "To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine, was just their home town: familiar, well-ordered, a good place to live. It was the children who saw-and felt-what made Derry so horribly different. In the stormdrains, in the sewers, It lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each person's deepest dread. Sometimes It reached up, seizing, tearing, killing...
- The adults, knowing better, knew nothing. Time passed and the children grew up, moved away. The horror of It was deep-buried, wrapped in forgetfulness. Until the grown-up children were called back, once more to confront It as It stirred and coiled in the sullen depths of their memories, reaching up again to make their past nightmares a terrible present reality."
This story is about seven people who come together within the small (and fictional) town of Derry, Maine in order to fight a supernatural and powerful evil that feasts on fear. First, they fight It as children, and then when It comes again - as It always does, ever twenty-six or so years - they fight It again as adults.
Most of the fandom is focused on "the Losers Club," the group of kids the story follows, although there is a part of the fandom that focuses on Pennywise the Dancing Clown. The fandom became very active and started producing more fanworks after the release of the 2017 movie. According to Tumblr Fandometrics' Year in Review 2017, IT was the 5th most popular movie of the year. In 2019, IT Chapter 2 was the 6th most popular.
On 23 June, 2018 StansBill, Archived version announced the ITFandomPositivity, Archived version project. Laiba stated, "I started in this fandom because it was a movie, a book, that I was interested in and wanted to explore. And by doing so, I met so many people on here that are genuinely amazing and sweethearts." and that they wanted to provide a space to drown out the negativity within the fandom.
- Derry Kink Meme - link, Archived version
- IT 25 Days of Christmas
- IT Chapter Two Week - link
- IT Fairytale Project - link
- IT Fandom Exchange - link
- IT Fandom Secret Santa - link
- IT Fandom Week
- IT Inktober - link & link (yielded 50 pages of content)
- IT Reverse Big Bang
- IT Secret Santa
- IT Valentine's Day Gift Exchange
- IT Week
- IT: Chapter Two Fanfiction Exchange
- Rarepair Secret Santa
The most popular ship in that fandom is by far Reddie, which is implied in the book and semi-canon in the new movies. The most popular het ship is Benverly, which is canon in all versions of the story. The fandom doesn't have many femslash ships, although sometimes Beverly is shipped in fanfics with an OFC. The Losers Club is the most popular gen grouping of the protagonists.
- Bill Denbrough/Beverly Marsh
- Bill Denbrough/Audra Phillips
- Ben Hanscom/Beverly Marsh
- Beverly Marsh/Richie Tozier
- Beverly Marsh/Stanley Uris
- Beverly Marsh/Kay McCall
- Bill Denbrough/Beverly Marsh/Richie Tozier
- Eddie Kaspbrak/Beverly Marsh/Richie Tozier
- Polylosers (OT7)
- Accidental / Love / Public Confession
- Aged Up Characters: this terminology is used often, but it doesn't necessarily represent the truth, because the characters are both children and adults within the source content.
- ABO / Heat Fic / Knotting
- Anal Sex
- Angst / Break Up / Hatesex
- Apocafic / Zombie Apocalypse
- Bed Sharing / Clothes Sharing
- Boarding School / High School / University AU
- Bodyswap / Genderswap
- Book / Coffee / Flower / Record Shop AU
- Canon Compliant
- Childhood Friends - Canon: The Losers Club
- Crossover / Fusion:
- Disability Fic / Mental Disorder Fic
- Domestic Fic
- Enemies to Lovers / Friends to Lovers
- Famous AU
- First Kiss / Puppy Love
- Fix-it: Often an AU where Everybody Lives / Reset Button
- Historical / Medieval / Regency / Royalty AU
- Huddling for Warmth
- Love At First Sight
- Magic / Witch / Superpowers / Vampire / Werewolf AU
- Mirror Universe / Role Reversal
- Modern AU, usually combined with No Pennywise AU
- Pirate AU
- Poetry / Song Fic
- Soulmates AU
- Punk AU
- Roommates AU
- RST / UST
- Soulmate AU
- What If:
- Character Design: Fanartists may draw from multiple sources in interpreting the appearances of characters. Some include a spliced blonde!Eddie which is a combination of the 1990s mini-series and the Muschietti versions of Eddie - essentially Jack Dylan Grazer's Eddie with blonde hair, like Adam Faraizl sported. While others focus entirely on that of the book descriptions, or more singular representations of the film versions, as it is for most of the other characters. There are some spliced versions of Richie, as well, featuring wild/curly, red hair. And there are iterations of Bill as bald, though most tend to draw within the realm of the Muschietti representation of the character. Before the cast of IT Chapter 2 was confirmed, the designs of characters as adults was generally based on the appearances of the actors who played them as children.
For a full list of fanworks, see Category:IT Fanworks.
For a WIP list of fanartists within this fandom, see this page.
- See Category:IT Zines
- Everything about us is wrong but that's alright. - link
- Hader Zine - link
- Losers Club - IT Fanzine (Second Edition) - link
Links & Resources
- Fanart, Archived version on DeviantArt
- Fanart, Archived version on Instagram
- Fanart, Archived version on Tumblr
For a WIP list of authors within this fandom, see this page.
- Stephen King works, Archived version on AO3
- (Movies - Muschietti) works, Archived version on AO3
- Book Fanfic, Archived version on FF.net
- Movie(s) Fanfic, Archived version on FF.net
- Fanfic, Archived version on Tumblr
- Fanfic, Archived version on Wattpad
- King, Stephen (1986). IT. Back cover: Scribner.
- itfandompositvity. Project Announcement. 23 June 2018.