|Creator:||Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman|
|Country of Origin:||United Kingdom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Good Omens is a popular fantasy novel about the Apocalypse by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It has an active online fanworks fandom.
Quick and Dirty Plot Summary
Good Omens is the story of how the world didn't quite end. As Neil Gaiman's website puts it:
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (recorded in 1655, just before she blew up her entire village and all its inhabitants – they’d gathered to watch her burn and got more of a show than expected) the world will end on a Saturday – next Saturday, as it happens. So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse are revving up their hogs, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring and everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan.
However, the somewhat fussy Aziraphale and the fast-living Crowley – each of whom rather favors the lifestyle of Earth’s mortals – are not especially looking forward to Rapture. Thing is, if they’re going to prevent that from happening, they’ve got to find and kill the Antichrist, and, er, someone seems to have misplaced him...
The main characters of Good Omens are:
- Aziraphale - Heaven's representative on Earth. "Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide."
- Crowley - Hell's representative on Earth. "An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards."
- Adam Young - The eleven-year-old Antichrist.
- Agnes Nutter - The witch mentioned earlier, whose prophecies are astonishingly accurate.
- Anathema Device - A descendant of Agnes, who has the last copy of her book of prophecies, and wishes the world wouldn't end quite so soon.
- Newton Pulsifer - A young man with a talent for electrocution and a love of machines.
- The Four Horsepersons of the Apocalypse - You can figure this one out.
- Various and Sundry Supporting Cast - Including inefficient witch-hunters, lascivious old women, pragmatic pre-teens, and assorted supernatural entities.
Good Omens Fandom
The most common pairing in Good Omens fandom is Aziraphale/Crowley, and gen stories featuring the pair are plentiful as well. Many stories take advantage of the fact that the two have been around throughout the entirety of human history and feature historical settings or appearances by historical or Biblical figures. Stories about Adam and the Them are also common.
Good Omens fans are well known for their recent tendency to actively engage with Gaiman and Pratchett.
Author Response to Fandom
Gaiman has also said several times in his blog that he is not opposed to fanfiction (of his work and in general) but really doesn't want to be exposed to it himself:
And this has less to do with prudery than with my own comfort levels. I can just about get my head around the concept of Crowley-Aziraphale slash, and would rather not read it thanks. Out beyond that, I don't actually want to know...
- crowley’s and aziraphale’s new year’s resolutions, by blue on tumblr (January 01, 2012)
- A demon can get into real trouble, doing the right thing, animated fanart by birdloaf on tumblr (15th April 2013)
- Green Fingers, by Pika-la-Cynique on deviantart (August 22, 2008)
- GO - Crowley and Aziraphale, by Eeba-ism on deviantart (January 17, 2010)
- Good Omens, by GraphiteDoll on deviantart (September 27, 2012)
- GOOD OMENS for Neil's birthday, by noxcape on deviantart (November 14, 2010)
- Good Omens - Supernaturals, by juliedillon (May 14, 2007)
- The Sacred and the Profane, by afrai, an Aziraphale/Crowley AU series (early 2000s)
- Crown of Thorns (The Walls, the Wainscot, and the Mouse) 'Verse, by irisbleufic. Post-canon with historical flashbacks; featuring Aziraphale/Crowley, other canon cast, OCs. (2005-2019)
- such selfish prayers, by Lvslie. Post-canon; Aziraphale/Crowley (2017-12-29)
- And Find for Herself a Place to Rest, by tomato-greens. Post-canon with flashbacks; featuring Aziraphale, Crowley, Eve (2014-01-20)
- Good Omens Holiday Exchange
- Good Omens Lexicon
- TVTropes: Good Omens Fanfic Recs
- Stories on Yuletide (stories spanning Exchanges from 2005 through 2012; 2018 Exchange underway)
- Fanworks on Archive of Our Own (over 2,800 stories as of October 2018)
- Podfic at Audiofic Archive (86 as of January 2017)
- Good Omens group at DeviantArt
- Good Omens release date CONFIRMED: Neil Gaiman Amazon Prime Video series arrives in May 2019 - Radio Times, Archived version
- Neil Gaiman's official website. Neil's Work > Books > Good Omens. (Accessed 09 August 2013.)
- Good Omens, List of Dramatis Personae.
- 3.9.2003, In which it is decided there are Some Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know by Neil Gaiman, accessed 13.10.2011