Good Omens (TV)
This page is about the TV fandom; you may also be interested in the Good Omens (book) fandom.
|Country of Origin:||UK|
|External Links:||Good Omens at IMDb|
Good Omens at Wikipedia
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A much-anticipated series starring David Tennant and Michael Sheen was released on Amazon Prime Video in May 2019, kicking off a widespread Good Omens fandom revival that seemed to consume all of fandom. The TV series introduced many new fans to Good Omens and caused many long-time fans of the book to rediscover or revisit their love of the novel. It also prompted an explosion of fanworks, including fanfiction, fanart, and meta, some of which analysed the differences in themes and tone between the book and TV series.
This explosion of fannish activity was aided and abetted by actor Michael Sheen being an enthusiastic onlooker and participant in the fandom, responding to fans on Twitter when tagged, referencing and praising fanworks, and making unequivocal statements of support for fandom. Author Neil Gaiman, who wrote the TV series, also encouraged fans on social media and tirelessly responded to Asks of every kind about the book and show on his Tumblr.
A second season of the series was announced in June 2021 and filming started in September 2021.
Synopsis and Characters
See the plot Synopsis and list of Characters on the Good Omens (book) fandom page.
- Muriel, angelic Inspector Constable
- Maggie, owner of the local record shop, tenant of Aziraphale, and love interest of Maggie
- Nina, owner of the coffee shop Give Me Coffee Or Give Me Death and love interest of Maggie
- Saraqael, archangel
As Neil Gaiman put it in an interview "Season two is kind of quiet and gentle and romantic", though the fandom might not necessarily agree with him.
The long anticipated second season is centered around the mystery of how the Archangel Gabriel (Aziraphale's former boss) has seemingly lost his memories and why he turned up on Aziraphale's doorstep entirely nude. While investigating Gabriel's amnesia Crowley and Aziraphale also embark on a mission to influence Maggie and Nina to fall in love in order to cover up a larger miracle they performed together. Heaven and Hell are also on the hunt for the missing Archangel and it is a race against the forces of Above and Below to discover what has happened to him and why.
After the release of the TV miniseries, the fandom experienced a major boom. Book fans were happy with the adaptation, even those who hadn’t seen it:
What I’m really loving about Good Omens is that for once the thing has been adapted closely enough that I can absolutely appreciate the fandom resurgence purely for the sake of the source material, even though I’m probably not going to get around to watching the adaptation for months if not years. (Television is Not My Medium due to the way my ADD plays.)
If you hadn’t heard of Good Omens before, you probably did in the last two weeks—after the miniseries adaptation was released and took the internet by storm. The story of a Biblical apocalypse and the angel and demon trying to prevent it, the nearly thirty-year-old book fandom is experiencing a new growth spurt thanks to the show. For new fans it’s well worth digging into the older parts of fandom and the huge amounts of content therein.Good Omens has a long history as a slash fandom; while perhaps not a grandparent of slash, it’s at least a favourite aunt. Aziraphale and Crowley’s relationship in the book is that of an old married couple, an interpretation that was only bolstered by the authors’ revelation that post-canon they were sharing a cottage in the South Downs. There are multiple fandom introductions/starter packs,[note 1] and a great place to dig into the history of the fandom is Lower Tadfield Air Base, a Livejournal community that’s been running since 2003. This was the centre of the fandom for many years, and is meticulously tagged for easy browsing. The recs tag is an excellent place to start if you want to see what people were recommending back in the day.
Almost immediately following the release of Season 2, fans began discussing the Coffee Theory online.
After Gaiman stated that 1960's femme presenting Aziraphale/Crowley had been on the cards for S2, fans began to draw the pair of them as such.
Since airing, the series and the original novel have been referred to as a "6000 year slow burn", and this tag has also begun appearing on works pairing Aziraphale/Crowley. Gaiman has already reported that the pairing is canon, and that Good Omens is a love story.
The TV fandom brought some attention to minor pairings that had not been very common previously, such as Beelzebub/Gabriel and Hastur/Ligur. These pairings can often be side pairings in Aziraphale/Crowley stories, but there are a small number of fanworks focused on them exclusively. After season 2, there is also the canon femslash pairing of Maggie/Nina.
- See also Category:Good Omens Art:
- one more by hattersarts (June 2, 2019)
- time to save the world i guess by rhymewithrachel (Jun 5, 2019)
- Aziraphale/Crowley (behind the scenes season 1) by hg_aneh (2022)
- why so glum mr crowley have a cupperty by geezmarty (2023)
- Repossession (Good Omens story) by dreamsofspike (2019)
- Princes of the Universe series by Lyowyn (2019)
- Slow Show by mia_ugly (2019)
- Strange Moons series by racketghost (2019)
- Demonology and the Tri-Phasic Model of Trauma: An Integrative Approach by Nnm (2019)
- What We Make of It (Shotgun Wedding) by charlottemadison (2019)
- Factory Settings by Anonymous (2023)
- Under Pressure by Spellbound (2019)
- Heaven Is a Place on Earth by Rebecca Hanson (2019)
- "Elevator to Hell" by Laizy-boy (2019)
- how you get the girl (Maggie/Nina) by luodair (2023)
- Rewrite the Omens by Swalka (2023)
- LET THERE BE FRAMES (Oct 2023)
- EVERY Frame Matters (Aziraphale/Crowley kiss) (2023)
- While We Dance (#EveryFrameWhileWeDance) (Nov-Dec 2023)
- For a full listing of zines on Fanlore see Category:Good Omens Zines
- Our Omens
- I Like Pears
- Here’s to The Next Time
- In Love with My Car
- A Nice and Accurate Colouring Zine
- Of Feathers & Wings
- The Days of Their Lives zine
- Ye Saga Continues
- Dark Omens Zine
- Good Omemes
May duplicate examples on the Good Omens (book) fandom page.
- An angel and a demon facing the greatest problem of their time: the crucial difference between Book!Omens and Miniseries!Omens, Archived version by an anon at thegoodomensdumpster
- Book Vs. TV Show Good Omens, Archived version by thecuriousreader
- good omens story structure: book vs. show, Archived version by fuckyeahisawthat
- The Magic Trick You Didn’t See: Being An Analysis of Good Omens Season 2 by ariaste
Example Art Gallery
Some examples of fanart influenced by the television series:
ineffable husbands by gaypompeii (2019)
Good Omens by IrenHorrors (2019)
anathema by Discord888 (2019)
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ( Good Omens ) by akimao (2019)
- Good Omens (TV) on Archive of Our Own
- Good Omens group at DeviantArt
- Fanrun Good Omens conventions and associated events by The Ineffable Con
Notes and References
- Some Good Omens Fans complained that the Fish Support Group post had so many important names forgotten, the author himself made this mistake clear and apologized, however later in several reposts. About this situation the user @sous-le-saule posted on April 21, 2017 a series of 3 reposts adding more artists and saying "When will I stop forgetting ppl? (I’ll probably make a proper reblog when I’ll be sure everybody’s in ^^)". "Books & Trees — Good Omens Fandom Welcome Pack (4/3/17)". 2017-04-21. Archived from the original on 2021-09-19.
- Good Omens release date CONFIRMED: Neil Gaiman Amazon Prime Video series arrives in May 2019 - Radio Times, Archived version
- Tweet by Michael Sheen, June 25, 2019 (Accessed December 27, 2019).
- Tweet by Michael Sheen, June 19, 2019. (Accessed December 27, 2019).
- Tweet by Michael Sheen, August 27, 2019. (Accessed December 27, 2019).
- Tumblr response by Neil Gaiman, November 19, 2021. (Accessed May 18, 2022)
- Good Omens Season 2 Filming Begins, Screenrant Article, October 10, 2021.
- "Nentuaby's Tumblr — What I'm really loving about Good Omens is that..." 2019-06-25. Archived from the original on 2022-04-09.
- "(lives between pages) • This is why 2005, like 1990, means the world to us:". 2013-04-21. Archived from the original on 2021-09-19.
- "Fish Support Group • Good Omens Fandom Welcome Pack (4/3/17)". 2017-03-05. Archived from the original on 2021-09-19.