Crowley (Good Omens)
|Name:||Crawly, Anthony J. Crowley|
|Occupation:||Tempting (Whilst Expending As Little Effort as Possible)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Crowley was the serpent who tempted Eve in Eden. His best (and only) friend is the angel Aziraphale. He loves his 1926 vintage Bentley, drinking with Aziraphale, and terrifying his houseplants. His entry on the Good Omens Lexicon is extensive.
There has been ongoing dialogue between the creators and fans regarding his activities and whereabouts.
As Crowley is a former angel, there are many angelic headcanons. This can include fan discussion on the appearance of his wings, and how they differ from Angels. Crowley's angelic past, and his angelic name in particular, are sometimes included in fanfics. Some fans believe his angelic name was Gadriel, the angel who tempted Eve in the Garden, while other fanon names have included, Kazariel, Kireawel and Caphriel. As there is no reference to his angelic name in canon, and also very little reference to his physical appearance, there are many different representations of Crowley in fanfic and fanart.
Following the Good Omens TV series in 2019, a new headcanon arose; Crowley was the Archangel Raphael. This headcanon arose on Tumblr and quickly gained in popularity. It appears to have been built on the fact that the Archangel Raphael is the only Archangel who doesn't appear in the expanded canon of the TV series. Many fans also pointed out that Raphael's motif in religious imagery often included a snake.
Following on from this, some fans headcanoned that Crowley and Aziraphale had both been the Archangel Raphael, and they are one celestial being split in two. Fans of this theory point to the fact that Aziraphale's name means 'Of Raphael' or 'Also Raphael'.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- As Crowley has demon wings, wingfic often appears. There are also works where Crowley loses his wings and this wingless fic trope, originated in the Good Omens fandom as a response to all the wing fic.
- Post-canon works are very common.
- Crowley is rarely paired with his Bentley. See The Bentley & Crowley (Good Omens) tag on Ao3.
- In rare crossovers with SPN, Crowley often meets Supernatural's version of Crowley. Mistaken identity, and/or summoning the incorrect demon are common tropes in these works. In other crossovers, Good Omens Crowley takes the place of Supernatural's Crowley.
- East of Eden by Shati
- Heavenly Visitation by Daegaer
- Crown of Thorns (The Walls, the Wainscot, and the Mouse) 'Verse, by irisbleufic
- Future Imperfect, by jane_potter
- Altered States, by Argyle
- The Speck in the London Eye, by Vulgarweed
- Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot, by xylodemon
- TwoFish, by Grindylowe
- Da Capo Aria by Lady Oneiros
- Anything But Ordinary, by Cimorene
Post-TV Series fic
- Archangel of Healing by Nnm
- Repossession, a novel-length hurt/comfort and angst fic by dreamsofspike
- Demonology and the Tri-Phasic Model of Trauma: An Integrative Approach by Nnm
- Espresso Recommendations: Aziraphale
- irisbleufic's Good Omens Fic Recs
- Knacc's Good Omens Fanfic Recs
- TVTropes: Good Omens Fanfic Recs
- Watching the prelude to ep 3 again and it really is stark how Crowley’s body language changes., archive link by fluffmugger on tumblr (July 2019)
- In 6000 years, Crowley has never been a killer. Not directly., archive link by portraitoftheoddity on tumblr (2019)
Archives & Fannish Links
- Crowley tag at Archive of Our Own
- Crowley (book) works at ff.net
- Good Omens (TV) works at ff.net. Filtering by character is unavailable at present