Crowley (Good Omens)
|Name:||Crawly, Anthony J. Crowley|
|Occupation:||Tempting (Whilst Expending As Little Effort as Possible)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Crowley is a fictional main character from the Good Omens book and television series. Crowley was the serpent who tempted Eve in Eden. His best (and only) friend is the angel Aziraphale. He loves his 1926 vintage Bentley, drinking with Aziraphale, and terrifying his houseplants. His entry on the Good Omens Lexicon is extensive.
There has been ongoing dialogue between the creators and fans regarding his activities and whereabouts.
As Crowley is a former angel, there are many angelic headcanons. This can include fan discussion on the appearance of his wings, and how they differ from Angels. Crowley's angelic past, and his angelic name in particular, are sometimes included in fanfics. Some fans believe his angelic name was Gadriel, the angel who tempted Eve in the Garden, while other fanon names have included, Kazariel, Kireawel and Caphriel. As there is no reference to his angelic name in canon, and also very little reference to his physical appearance, there are many different representations of Crowley in fanfic and fanart.
Following the Good Omens TV series in 2019, a new headcanon arose; Crowley was the Archangel Raphael. This headcanon arose on Tumblr and quickly gained in popularity. It appears to have been built on the fact that the Archangel Raphael is the only Archangel who doesn't appear in the expanded canon of the TV series. Many fans also pointed out that Raphael's motif in religious imagery often included a snake.
Following on from this, some fans headcanoned that Crowley and Aziraphale had both been the Archangel Raphael, and they are one celestial being split in two. Fans of this theory point to the fact that Aziraphale's name means 'Of Raphael' or 'Also Raphael'.
Common Tropes & Storylines in Fanworks
- Wingfic: As Crowley has demon wings, wingfic often appears. There are also works where Crowley loses his wings and this wingless fic trope, originated in the Good Omens fandom as a response to all the wing fic.
- Post-canon: works set after the end of the book or series are very common.
- The Bentley: In fanworks the Bentley can be sentient, and has some sort of connection with Crowley. Crowley is rarely paired with his Bentley. See The Bentley & Crowley (Good Omens) tag on Ao3.
- Snake Crowley: Crowley in his snake form, many fanworks have Crowley changing into his snake form to rest, so finding Crowley resting in a sunny spot in Aziraphale's bookshop is common. Naga!Crowley, where Crowley is half man and half snake, can also be found.
- Asexuality: having Crowley be asexual, this can be because of his demonic nature, or just his sexual orientation
- Hurt/Comfort: because of his supernatural nature fans sometimes have to come with inventive ways to hurt Crowley, some common ones being, he is hurt by an angel other than Aziraphale, he is hurt/torured by other demons, he comes into to contact with a cursed/blessed object, he is harmed by humans. The most likely person to give Crowley comfort is Aziraphale.
- Incubus/Succubus Crowley: a rarer trope, but there are some fanworks where Crowley is a incubus/succubus, this element can be used traditionally, or there are some fics where Crowley does not wish to be this type of demon, or refuses to use his powers.
- Crossovers: In rare crossovers with SPN, Crowley often meets Supernatural's version of Crowley. Mistaken identity, and/or summoning the incorrect demon are common tropes in these works. In other crossovers, Good Omens Crowley takes the place of Supernatural's Crowley.
- East of Eden by Shati
- Heavenly Visitation by Daegaer
- Crown of Thorns (The Walls, the Wainscot, and the Mouse) 'Verse, by irisbleufic
- Future Imperfect, by jane_potter
- Altered States, by Argyle
- The Speck in the London Eye, by Vulgarweed
- Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot, by xylodemon
- TwoFish, by Grindylowe
- Da Capo Aria by Lady Oneiros
- Anything But Ordinary, by Cimorene
Post-TV Series fic
- Archangel of Healing by Nnm
- Repossession, a novel-length hurt/comfort and angst fic by dreamsofspike
- Demonology and the Tri-Phasic Model of Trauma: An Integrative Approach by Nnm
- Espresso Recommendations: Aziraphale
- irisbleufic's Good Omens Fic Recs
- Knacc's Good Omens Fanfic Recs
- TVTropes: Good Omens Fanfic Recs
- Watching the prelude to ep 3 again and it really is stark how Crowley’s body language changes., archive link by fluffmugger on tumblr (July 2019)
- In 6000 years, Crowley has never been a killer. Not directly., archive link by portraitoftheoddity on tumblr (2019)
Example Art Gallery
Inspired by the Book
Inspired by the TV Series
Archives & Fannish Links
- Crowley tag at Archive of Our Own
- Crowley (book) works at ff.net
- Good Omens (TV) works at ff.net. Filtering by character is unavailable at present