|See also:||futurefic, de-aging|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
When creators of fanworks depict characters as older than their age in canon, the characters are said to be aged up. Aging characters up may be done to avoid depicting underage characters in sexual situations, or simply because the creator prefers an older version of a character. Works involving aged-up characters are often futurefic, but sometimes simply specify in author's notes or within the work itself that the characters are older than their actual age in canon, which may be considered a form of universe alteration by some fans.
This trope can be contentious. Some fans believe aging-up characters for the purposes of putting them in sexual scenarios with adults, or other aged up minors, is inappropriate.
This trope is particularly popular in fandoms where a large number of characters are children/underage.
- Boku no Hero Academia is a fandom focused on high school students. The majority of aged up works in that fandom are set after the characters have graduated and are working as Pro-Heroes.
- South Park's main characters are all small children.
- Gravity Falls
- Steven Universe's fandom sometimes ages up Steven and Connie, but not usually for NSFW content.
- Invader Zim
- ASOIAF/Game of Thrones many characters are young teens in canon, so it is not unusual for them to be aged up
I feel like if people are allowed to de-age all the characters from something so everyone is in highschool it shouldn't be a debate on if we're allowed to age up characters for whatever reason we want. So you do you. It's fine. Just state clearly what you are up to at the start.
If you're aging up your characters for other reasons, and your story includes themes about being an adult or adulthood that aren't about sex, I feel as though it would take an enormous leap of logic to arrive at 'aging up these characters and writing about them boning is pedophilia/pedophilia apologism/whatever'... But antis aren't exactly known for good-faith logic so I don't know whether that will shield you from them.
But I can see the logic of people who find it creepy, I think they're thinking that the author was watching this show with 10-year-olds and thought to themselves "wow they're hot and it would be hot if they banged each other." Like they figure the idea to write a fic like that wouldn't even come into your head if you weren't sexualizing these child characters as you watched the show.
Basically the only reason people like you age characters up to write/drawn porn of them is because you are thinking, “I would create porn of these children at their canon ages if I didn't get backlash for it” so you age them up to avoid being called a pedo. Do you get it? Fucking child molestor.
Archives & Links
- Comment on the whole aging up characters debate by reddit user minor_character, 2019.
- Comment on the whole aging up characters debate by reddit user ArchAngelleofJustice, 2019.
- Is it really wrong to age up characters to adult age in fics?, Reddit. May 19, 2019 (Accessed 8/2/2020)