Jonsa vs Jonerys
|Event:||Jonsa vs Jonerys|
|Date(s):||2015 - present|
|Fandom:||Game of Thrones|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Since the beginning of the series there were shippers of Daenerys Targaryen/Jon Snow. Although they had no canon interaction for the first six seasons many fans believed their stories were paralleling each other. To many Jon represents ice and Daenerys represents fire, indicating that their story is A Song of Ice and Fire, leading some to believe that their relationship is endgame.
There were early shippers of Jon Snow/Sansa Stark as well, but their ranks grew exponentially when Jon and Sansa were reunited in season five, after being separated since the pilot. Because of their interactions in seasons five and six and and the chemistry between the two characters some fans declared them their OTP.
The ship war began in season five, but continued from then on. It grew especially heated when Jon and Daenerys' relationship went canon at the end of season seven. The ship war included text posts advocating for one ship and belittling the other, varying from in depth meta to outright mockery. Negative posts about the female characters and directed at the opposing shippers. Intentionally putting anti-ship posts in the Tumblr ship tags to create discord and sending anon hate to the inbox of fans of the opposite ship.
Game of Thrones has a large ensemble cast, and throughout the series Jon, Sansa and Daenerys have each been shipped with a variety of other characters, in canon and non-canon pairings. Fan windinyoursnail could not recall any major hostility between other Game of Thrones shippers:
mhysaofdragons adding that she had not encountered the aggressive behavior of anti-shippers in other fandoms she had participated in:
Experiencing the ship war caused some fans to have a negative reaction to a pairing or character, thewolvesremember stating:
So why do I hate Jonerys? Tumblr. I hate Jonerys not because I don’t ship it, but because I’ve read enough stupid posts by antis to make me want Daenerys to die. Out of spite. And I love Daenerys!!!
and lareinadecorazones adding:
I have grown to thoroughly despise Jonsa, a ship that I previously had no opinion of, almost exclusive because of Tumblr... they’ve soured the ship for me. I still like Sansa and her familial bond w/ Jon. But I’ll never ship Jonsa thanks to this site which sucks b/c it shouldn’t be like this.
- Tumblr Tags: anti-jonerys, anti-jonsa
- Jonsa, Jonerys, Anti-Jonsa, Anti-Jonerys and the logic of shipping
- Jonsa vs Jonerys #5 Break the Wheel, humorous meta post about the ship war
- "Jonerys shippers aren't the problem. DaenerysxJon have been shipped since the show started". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- "Can you explain this original outline you keep mentioning?". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- "gourmet meal vs the one stale potato chip you found in the garbage". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- Every time I happen to stumble upon a Jonsa meta in my feed
- "Who would you rather have as a Queen?". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- ""B-b-but why are you so meeeeean??"". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- "Streaming thoughts I need to get off my chest". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- "I originally wasn't going to dignify this with an answer to be honest, but then I changed my mind". Archived from the original on 2018-12-04.
- "I really, really hate Jonerys". Archived from the original on 2017-07-24.