|Name:||Hermione Jean Granger|
|Occupation:||witch, student, Minister of Magic|
|Relationships:|| Mr. and Mrs. Granger (parents)|
Ron Weasley (friend, husband)
Harry Potter (best friend)
Hugo Weasley (son)
Rose Weasley (daughter)
Weasley clan (in-laws, various nieces and nephews)
|Other:||born 19 September 1979|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Little about Hermione's home life is known, and her parents have only a handful of mentions in canon. In 2004 Rowling mentioned that she had a younger sister, but this character was never mentioned in the books and appears to have been dropped from canon. Though it was J.K. Rowling's intention to make Hermione's family "quite ordinary," some fans have pointed out that Hermione hardly ever sees her parents, and have interpreted a strained relationship between them. When black actress Noma Dumezweni was cast as Hermione in the play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Rowling pointed out that she had never stated Hermione's race. (See: Hermionewank)
At Hogwarts, Hermione was consistently the top of her year. Though fans sometimes question the nature of Hermione's intelligence, she was undoubtedly instrumental in assisting Harry in the fight against Lord Voldemort.
Hermione is generally well-liked, one fan even stating that she "is arguably one of the best female role models in any children's book."
A good fanart example to show the difference between the character shown in the books and one portrayed in fanfiction is: Hermione Book vs. Fanfic by The-Starhorse
Hermione has been described by some as "ruthless," and many fans questioned a number of her actions, including:
- capturing and blackmailing Rita Skeeter
- permanently cursing Marietta
- leading Umbridge to the centaurs ("attempted murder")
- modifying her parents memories
Most of the criticism of Hermione seems to be an example of resistant reading--that is, J.K. Rowling did not intend for readers to interpret Hermione's actions negatively. For example, when asked if Marietta's pimples (the result of Hermione's curse) ever faded, Rowling replied: "Eventually, but it left a few scars. I loathe a traitor!" This implies that Rowling, at least, feels Hermione's actions were justified.
It's interesting to note that people start to have issues with Hermione, the best student in her year, who is pretty, can make an international Quidditch superstar make fall in love with her, is admittedly like Rowling when she was young, knows everything from obscure spells to Cho's innermost feelings, who is always right and gets away with murder. If Hermione's flaws continue to be perceived as being only bushy hair and an abrasive personality, then the accusations of Hermione being a canon Mary Sue will multiply by tenfold.
While the canon was still open, particularly before the publication of Half-Blood Prince, there were massive ship wars over whether Hermione would end up with Harry or Ron at the end of the series. When Half-Blood Prince and a subsequent interview with J.K. Rowling confirmed Ron/Hermione to be canonical, there was much wank by certain Harry/Hermione shippers.
In fanon, Hermione is featured in a variety of both het and femslash pairings, and could be considered a Little Black Dress of the fandom. She is commonly paired with Harry, Ron, Draco, and Snape in het fanworks, and Ginny, Luna, and Pansy in femslash.
List of Hermione Pairings
Notable Hermione-centric Fanworks
- Hermione, Queen of Witches by Arabella - a retelling of the Harry Potter novels from Hermione's point of view. (Ron/Hermione)
- Unsticking The Shadows by pogrebin. About the multilayered prejudices in the Wizarding World & the lengths to which Slytherins will go.
- Corpus Incendio by julia_fractal. Hermione knew exactly how long it took for a human body to burn.
- A Brane of Extraordinary Women by Diane Castle. "It all started when Hermione Granger received a prophecy and had to find women all across the multiverse." (multi-fandom crossover)
- Bone by Alchemia; also into Russian by Galadriel. First year Hermione comes to terms with her fears, about puberty and sex, through fantasy and masturbation. ~2,850 words. (Hermione/McGonagall, Ron/Hermione, Hermione/McG/Ron, Hermione/Entire-Class)
- The Arithmancer by White Squirrel (2015, 529,129 words); Hermione grows up as a maths whiz instead of a bookworm and tests into Arithmancy in her first year. With the help of her friends and Professor Vector, she puts her superhuman spellcrafting skills to good use in the fight against Voldemort. Sequel Lady Archimedes (2015-2018)
- The Brightest Witch by angelholme; "Hermione Jane Granger has always known she was special. But now that she is going to Hogwarts, she is going to make sure the world knows just how special she actually is." Hermione is MUCH more than a typical muggleborn; Hermione & Draco & Harry, VERY AU for books 1-4 (2017- WIP)
- Darkly Loyal by Keira Marcos; Harry/Hermione/Draco threesome, time travel, three-some fighting against both Voldemort and Dumbledore to save magic
- Hermione: Book vs. Fanfic by The-Starhorse - parody of Hermione's interpretation in fanon (Gen)
- Big Damn Anvil by Marta - a chronicle of the Ron/Hermione pairing in canon
- George and Hermione by ThreeAM (Hermione/George)
- "Hey, It's Can(n)on" by Tom Smith - song about Hermione Granger the Pirate Queen, arising from Hermione's birthday occurring on International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
- Look What You Made Me Do by Polina Marin
Archives and Communities
- Hermione's Haven
- Granger Enchanted (website) - a Hermione-centric fanfiction archive
- Hermione Big Bang (comm) - a Big Bang challenge for Hermione-centric fanworks (2009)
- HermioneFanfiction.net (defunct, Wayback) - a Hermione-centric fanfiction archive
- Quills & Ink Stains (comm) - a LiveJournal community for anything Hermione related
- Books & Freckles (comm) - a Livejournal community for anything Hermione/Weasleys related
- Hermione Granger tag at HP_Fanworks
- Hermione Granger works on Ao3
- Hermione Granger works on ff.net
- Hermione Granger at Harry Potter Fanfiction Recs
- Hermione Granger at Coffee and Chocolate
- Sass and Smarts, a Hermione recs site at Tumblr
- Of course Hermione Granger is black – she always has been; WebCite (December 2015)
- What to do when you're not the hero any more; WebCite (December 2015)
- DISCUSSION Tumblr-bashing -why? (Or why not?) ; WebCite (The comments after the post on curative and transformative fandom contain a discussion on Hermione's race) (2015)
- Hermione Granger at Wikipedia
- Hermione Granger at Harry Potter Wiki
- Granger, Hermione at Harry Potter Lexicon
- Resources: Hermione Granger, compiled by inell
- Hermione Granger at Urban Dictionary
- J.K.Rowling Official Site. 19 September 2003. Archived at the Harry Potter Lexicon: Guide to jkrowling.com - Brithdays. (Accessed 20 January 2011.)
- Harry Potter Wiki - Hermione Granger's Sister accessed 12th July 2018
- Scott. Harry Potter Lexicon Essays: Hermione's Family. 2004. (Accessed 17 August 2011.)
- BBC News - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child announces lead cast accessed 19 February 2016.
- Penny Linsenmayer. HPfGU Fantastic Posts: Hermione Granger. 21 June 2001. (Accessed 01 April 2011 via the Wayback Machine.)
- ReaderRavenclaw. Rebuttal regarding Hermione's Intelligence. 04 September 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Rosie. Harry Potter and the Nerdy Feminist. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Elkins. HPfGU Post #52640: Hermione, Knowledge and Blackmail. 21 February 2003. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Kia (no_remorse). Hermione, the murderer. 12 October 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Victoria P. (musesfool). sauce for the goose. 21 April 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Morgan D. Hermione's prejudice and it's consequence in book 6. (Hogs_Head Messages #349, #377, #403, and #436). 11-16 January 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- sollersuk. Is Hermione completely wrong about house elves? 04 June 2006. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- MuggleNet. The Deathly Hallows Web Chat. July 2007. (Accessed 13 August 2012.)
- Kia (no_remorse). idol_reflection: Hermione Granger. 28 October 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)