|Name:||Bellatrix Lestrange, née Black|
|Location:||Azkaban, Malfoy Manor|
|Relationships:|| Narcissa Malfoy (sister)|
Andromeda Tonks (sister, disowned)
Rodolphus Lestrange (husband)
|Other:|| born 1951;|
nickname "Bella" (used by Narcissa and Voldemort); played by Helena Bonham Carter
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Bellatrix was not introduced until The Order of the Phoenix, although "the Lestranges" were mentioned previously as being an imprisoned Death Eater couple. It was revealed that Bellatrix was Sirius Black's cousin and the elder sister of Narcissa Malfoy and Andromeda Tonks, making her Draco Malfoy's aunt. It was also revealed that Bellatrix was one of the Death Eaters who tortured Neville's parents, Frank and Alice Longbottom, to insanity.
Bellatrix was one of Lord Voldemort's most devout and trusted followers, and was entrusted with one of Voldemort's Horcruxes. Though she married Rodolphus Lestrange, J. K. Rowling has said that she only married because that was what was expected of her, and "her true love was always Voldemort."
Over the course of the last three books, Bellatix murdered her cousin Sirius (whom she considered to be a "blood traitor"), tortured Hermione, killed Dobby, and killed Nymphadora Tonks, the daughter of her estranged sister Andromeda Tonks. Bellatrix was eventually killed by Molly Weasley during the final battle.
- Bellatrix Lestrange: Will She Be Redeemed? by madamros
- characters:black family:bellatrix tag at hp_essays
- Blackcest, especially Bellatrix/Narcissa
- Bellatrix/Voldemort - canonically unrequited: Bellatrix was "madly in love" and "obsessed" with Voldemort, according to JKR
- Bellatrix/Rodolphus - canonically married; a popular pairing in Death Eater-focused fandom, but according to JKR a loveless marriage (bella-rodolphus, lestrangers)
- Bellatrix/Harry (see trickingharry and this essay)
- Bellatrix/Ginny (see bellatrixginny)
- Snape/Bellatrix (see black_potions)
- Bellatrix/Lily - had a small following pre-OotP before Bellatrix had a first name
Links & Resources
- bella_centric, a general Bellatrix LiveJournal community
- bellatrix100, a Bellatrix drabble community
- The Black Sisters, a Narcissa, Bellatrix, and Andromeda fansite (defunct)
- Toujours Pur, a Black family archive (defunct)
- Family Affair, a Black sisters fanlisting (defunct)
- Special Edition: Bellatrix Lestrange at The Daily Snitch
- Works tagged Bellatrix Black Lestrange at AO3
- Harry Potter Lexicon. Bellatrix (Black) Lestrange. (Accessed 11 August 2013.)
- J.K. Rowling. The Deathly Hallows Web Chat on MuggleNet. July 2007. (Accessed 11 August 2013.)
- Tonks's death happened "off-screen"; J.K. Rowling revealed in a post-Deathly Hallows interview that Bellatrix had been the one to kill Tonks (as Bellatrix had promised Voldemort she would do in Deathly Hallows, in order to "prune her family tree").