|Name:||Molly Weasley, née Prewett|
|Location:||The Burrow (Ottery St. Catchpole, Britain)|
|Relationships:|| Arthur Weasley (husband)|
Bill Weasley (son)
Charlie Weasley (son)
Percy Weasley (son)
Fred and George Weasley (sons)
Ron Weasley (son)
Ginny Weasley (daughter)
Weasley clan (various in-laws and grandkids)
|Other:||born October 30, c. 1950|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Molly Weasley is a mother of seven, including Ron Weasley (Harry's best friend) and Ginny Weasley (Harry's future wife) in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series of books. She is an overprotective woman, dedicated to her family. Molly becomes a mother figure for Harry from her first introduction, when she helps Harry get through the barrier to track 9 3/4. She is married to Arthur Weasley.
A subset of fanfiction stories portray Molly as a negative character, referred to as character bashing. This is sometimes paired with negative portrayals of her daughter Ginny Weasley, where Molly and Ginny plot for Ginny to marry Harry Potter to have access to, or even control, his (assumed) fortune.
- Case in Point: Molly by Red Hen, an essay criticizing Molly's behavior
- often cited in feminist critiques as reinforcing gender roles 
Perhaps in response to such criticism, J.K. Rowling stated in a post-Deathly Hallows interview that she had picked Molly to kill Bellatrix because she wanted to "show that because a woman had dedicated herself to her family does not mean that she doesn't have a lot of other talents" and because "Molly was really an amazing exemplar of maternal love".
- Clockwork by Xylodemon -- gen introspection (2005)
- Spark by Jane St Clair -- gen, darker than average (2004)
- still too early to dream by andromeda311 -- gen, post-DH drabble (2008)
- Reflections by Quizzical -- Molly/Arthur, NC-17, set during canon (2007)
- A Life of High Adventure by chaos rose -- Molly's youth and courtship; posits that her background is high-class pureblood (2013)
- Come Home to Me by darthneko -- Molly/McGonagall (2001)
- Homespun by dentedsky -- Molly/Hermione, NC-17, post-Hogwarts (2004)
- Rememberance by fluffyllama -- Molly/Narcissa, for the Dark Witches fest. (2012)
- Darkly Loyal by Keira Marcos -- Harry/Hermione/Draco -- negative portrayal of most of the Weasley family; Molly is a dark character in this story
For more examples of negative portrayals, AO3 has a Molly Weasley Bashing tag.
- A comment by kyraneko, Archived version on tumblr regarding Molly Weasley's mistakes in canon, as part of a broader conversation about how adults in Harry Potter are neglectful, disappointing, or actively harmful towards the young protagonists.
Archives & Links
- J.K.Rowling Official Site. 4 October 2003. Archived at the Harry Potter Lexicon: Guide to jkrowling.com - Birthdays. (Accessed 28 March 2011.)
- Linda Lowen. Is Harry Potter Feminist with Strong Female Role Models for Girls? 14 July 2011. (Accessed 25 October 2011.)
- The Leaky Cauldron. J. K. Rowling at Carnegie Hall Reveals Dumbledore is Gay; Neville Marries Hannah Abbott, and Much More. 20 October 2007. (Accessed 29 August 2012.)