|Occupation:||Father, Ministry worker|
|Relationships:|| Septimus Weasley and Cedrella Black (parents)|
two unnamed brothers
Molly Weasley (wife)
Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, & Ginny (children)
|Other:||born February 6, c. 1950|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Arthur Weasley is a recurring character in the Harry Potter series.
Arthur is married to Molly Weasley, and they have seven children. Arthur works for the Ministry of Magic and is fascinated by Muggle artifacts. He and Molly are members of the Order of the Phoenix. He's one of the most unambiguously good characters in the series; afterthree describes him as one of the quiet heroes. He acts as a surrogate father to Harry and eventually becomes Harry's father-in-law when Harry marries Ginny.
In a 2007 post-Deathly Hallows interview, J. K. Rowling said that "you could make a very good case for Arthur Weasley being the only good father in the whole series." She cited this as one reason she didn't have Arthur die in Order of the Phoenix, as was originally planned.
Arthur is a fairly popular character, but he's among the least written & discussed of the important recurring characters. In fanfiction, he is usually paired with his wife and is only rarely paired with other characters (though pairings like Arthur/Hermione and Weasleycest with his kids do exist). He occasionally appears in gen, which often explores his fascination with Muggles and their technology.
One popular fan theory was that Arthur would eventually become Minister for Magic. One reason this idea gained traction is because Ron said sarcastically Order of the Phoenix that the Gryffindor team had "about much chance of winning the Quidditch Cup this year as Dad's got of becoming Minister for Magic." (Gryffindor did win the Quidditch Cup that year, and things Ron joked about tended to come true.)
- The Wizard From Outer Space (Meta Remix) by A. J. Hall. Remix of a drabble by Halrloprillalar, written for We Invented the Remix... Redux. Outsider PoV. (2004)
- Wordless by Penknife. Popular character study of Arthur, focusing on fatherhood (June 2005)
- Paterfamilias by Miggy & Phoebe. Dark story that examines how far Arthur will go during the War (June 2005)
- Minor Drooling by gilly - One-shot, Arthur/Molly. Arthur tries out one of Fred and George's WWW inventions and has an opportunity to fulfill his greatest ambition: learning how aeroplanes stay up. (August 2005) (offline)
- Let us not talk falsely by Lyras. Post-War Arthur & Pansy gen that takes Arthur's job investigating misuse of Muggle artefacts seriously (2011)
- Arthur Weasley at the Harry Potter Wiki
- Works tagged Arthur Weasley at AO3
- Stories tagged Arthur Weasley at FanFiction.Net
- Stories tagged Arthur Weasley at FictionAlley
- Arthur Weasley recs at Coffee and Chocolate
- Arthur Wesley recs compiled by eldritchhobbit
- Special Edition: Arthur Weasley at daily_snitch
- Arthur Weasley at the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Arthur Weasley at the Harry Potter Wiki
- Arthur Weasley at UnknowableWiki
- J.K.Rowling Official Site. 4 October 2003. Archived at the Harry Potter Lexicon: Guide to jkrowling.com - birthdays. (Accessed 9 November 2013.)
- "Coffee and Chocolate: Arthur Weasley". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- MSNBC interview with Meredith Vieira, 29 July 2007. Transcript from Accio Quote!.
- For one example of this discussion, see New Minister of Magic: Arthur Weasley at Chamber of Secrets Forums (Thread started 30 June 2003 by Elektra). After the End (2001-2003) is one popular fanfic in which Arthur becomes Minister, and predates Ron's OotP prediction.
- J.K.Rowling Official Site. Will Arthur Weasley be the new Minister for Magic? Answer: "Alas, no." (Archived by the Wayback Machine 06 August 2004.)
- Originally posted at the We Invented the Remix archive (archived 03 August 2004 by the Wayback Machine). See Remix...Redux II: Electric Boogaloo: Open for Business at LiveJournal, posted 15 May 2004.
- "Penknife to Paper". Archived from the original on 2005-07-02.
- See Stories by gilly, archived by the Wayback Machine 03 March 2007 (Story itself is not archived; [Dead link]). Recommendation by the FicNifflers, 29 January 2006.