|Name:||The Weasley family|
|Occupation:||wizards and witches|
|Relationships:||Black family, Malfoy family, Prewett family, Potter family|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Weasleys are a wizarding family in the Harry Potter series. They are one of the most popular families in fandom, along with the Potters and Malfoys. They are known for their red hair and freckles and for having a large family.
Throughout the books, the Weasley family consists principally of Arthur and Molly Weasley and their seven children: Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny (plus brief mentions of other Weasley relatives). By the Deathly Hallows epilogue, the family has grown considerably, with most of the Weasley children marrying and having children of their own.
Harry first meets the Weasleys (minus Arthur, Bill, and Charlie) at King's Cross on his way to Hogwarts for the first time. He becomes fast friends with Ron and is jealous of his large, loving family. The Weasleys are quick to adopt Harry as one of their own: Mrs. Weasley sends him a Weasley jumper during his first Christmas at Hogwarts, and Harry stays with the Weasley during many summers and holidays throughout the rest of the books.
The Weasley Family Tree
In December 2007, J.K. Rowling released a family tree of the Weasley family, starting with Molly and Arthur and including their children, children's spouses, and grandchildren (the next-generation Weasleys).
JKR's tree lists the members of the Weasley family as follows:
- Arthur marries Molly and has seven children:
- Bill Weasley marries Fleur Delacour and has three children:
- Charlie Weasley never marries nor has children
- Percy Weasley marries Audrey (last name unknown) and has two daughters:
- Fred Weasley, George's twin, died in 1998
- George Weasley, Fred's twin, marries Angelina Johnson and has two children:
- Ron Weasley marries Hermione Granger and has two children:
- Ginny Weasley marries Harry Potter and has three children:
Arthur Weasley has two brothers (one of whom might be Ron's Uncle Bilius). His parents are probably Septimus Weasley and Cedrella Black; Sirius Black states in Order of the Phoenix that Arthur is "something like" his second cousin once removed.
Other Weasley relatives who are not technically Weasleys themselves include Molly's Aunt Muriel and Molly's second-cousin who is a Muggle accountant or stockbroker (possibly a Squib). There was also a Weasley cousin named Mafalda who was cut from the books, who would have been the daughter of this accountant. Additionally, Molly has two brothers, Gideon and Fabian Prewett, who were killed when they were part of the original Order of the Phoenix.
- Weasley Clan — A term commonly used in fandom to refer to the Weasley family. Though it the term never appears in canon, J.K. Rowling has used the term herself.
Common Tropes & Themes
- Marriage Law
- Incest, see Weasleycest for more information.
- Alternate Universes such as Fred Lives or EWE
The Weasley clan is a popular group to ship with other HP characters. Canon, or what was later revealed to be canon pairings, were more of the popular Harry Potter pairings; such as Bill/Fleur, Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione.
Before the last book, many fans shipped various other characters with Weasley clan members such as Ron with Luna Lovegood, Ginny with Neville Longbottom, Percy with Penelope Clearwater and Charlie with Tonks. Rarer pairings of Hermione Granger paired up with the other Weasley brothers also appeared, such as Bill/Hermione, Charlie/Hermione, Fred/Hermione, George/Hermione, and Percy/Hermione.
Widely associated with Harmonians, character bashing of the Weasley family is also prevalent in certain slash circles, Dark Lord Potter fics, and in a variety of other genres. As of February 2016, there are 437 works on AO3 tagged with "Weasley Bashing" or bashing of a specific Weasley.
Weasley Family Meta & Discussion
- OBHWF, a FictionAlley Park forum "for Arthur/Molly Shippers & their progeny"
- The Weasley family: A group discussion at MuggleNet's Chamber of Secrets Forums
- HPfGU - Fantastic Posts: The Weasley Family by Simon for Harry Potter for GrownUps
- characters: weasley family at hp_essays
- The Weasley Family by Red Hen — a critical look at the Weasleys
- The Age of the Weasleys by Troels Forchhammer (May 2004)
- On Being a Weasley by Nundu (June 2004)
- ...and I Grew Up With Percy... by Susanna Luhtanen — the Weasley kids growing up (November 2004)
- Precious., a family tree of Arthur & Molly.
- Weasley Family Portrait
- Os Weasley
- Weasley's Xmas by GENgoodstick
- Lily, Louis, and Lucy
- Weasley Family Portrait by Whisperwings
- Family Photo by crydwyn
- Weasley by lisonette
- The Weasley Brothers by LXJW
- Weasley Family and Weasley Clan tags at Tumblr
- Weasley Family and Weasley Clan search results at Deviantart
Weasleys-centric Archives and Communities
- The Burrow, a Weasley family archive part of Sycophant Hex
- OBHWF at FictionAlley Park, a discussion forum
- OBHWF Weekly, a newsletter community
- Weasley Fest
- weasley100 
- Weasleycest 
- Weasley_esque 
- Weasley Worshippers 
- The Weasley Family at the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Weasley family at Harry Potter Wiki
- Category:Weasley Family at UnknowableWiki
- Weasley at HPWiki (archived version)
- Some Random Facts About The Weasley Family from J.K. Rowling's Official Site (archived version)
- What Jo says about The Weasleys at Accio Quote!
- The Weasley family tree was first released in a trailer for the ITV1 documentary on J.K. Rowling, J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life, on December 28, 2007. The documentary itself aired on December 30, 2007. Shortly thereafter, an image of the tree was posted to the J.K.Rowling Official Site with the additional inclusion of Scorpius Malfoy. See the MuggleNet announcement (original posting), The Leaky Cauldron announcement, and Harry Potter Lexicon announcement.
- Rowling's tree states Fred's death as occurring in 1997, but other canon is conclusive that the his death, which occurs during the Battle of Hogwarts at the end of Deathly Hallows, is in 1998.
- See Arthur Weasley’s Relationship to Sirius Black: First Forays into the Black Family Tree by Sylvie Augustus at the Harry Potter Lexicon (2006).
- See Extra Stuff: Mafalda (Goblet of Fire) at J.K.Rowling Official Site. (Archived 16 March 2006 by the Wayback Machine.) Note that JKR refers to Molly's second-cousin as a stockbroker, but in Philosopher's Stone Ron states: "I think Mum's got a second cousin who's an accountant, but we never talk about him."
- For example, on her official site, JKR writes that Ginny "is the first girl to be born into the Weasley clan for several generations." (Some Random Facts About The Weasley Family, archived 17 March 2006 by the Wayback Machine.)