James Sirius Potter
This article is about Harry Potter's son. For his father, see James Potter.
|Name:||James Sirius Potter (II)|
|Relationships:|| Harry Potter (father)|
Ginny Weasley (mother)
Albus Severus Potter (brother)
Lily Luna Potter (sister)
Weasley clan (various aunts/uncles and cousins)
|Other:||born in 2003 or 2004|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
James Sirius Potter is a next-gen character in the Harry Potter series, appearing only in the epilogue of Deathly Hallows. He is the son of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley and was named after James Potter, his paternal grandfather, and Sirius Black, his father's godfather.
James's middle name is not given in canon but was revealed in a post-Deathly Hallows interview by J. K. Rowling. The character was therefore initially known by fandom as James Potter II, and it is common for "James II" and "James Sirius" to be used interchangeably (in order to distinguish him from his grandfather). "James Jr." (or "Jnr.") is also sometimes used, though this is a misnomer.
Though not officially confirmed until 2015, fandom generally assumed James was sorted into Gryffindor from the epilogue. Rowling also confirmed in 2015 that James is two years ahead of Albus at Hogwarts; previous fanon had speculated that he might be only a year older.
James is the only one of Harry's children whose hair colour was not mentioned in canon, so fanworks depict him varyingly as having red, black, or brown hair. It is stated that he did not inherit Lily Evans's eyes, so he is frequently given brown or hazel eyes.
Fans have questioned J.K. Rowling's decision to have Harry name two of his children, Lily and James, after both of his parents, pointing out the possible incestuous undertones.
In fanfiction, James is most often shipped in a slash paring with Teddy Lupin or Neville Longbottom, or in a het pairing with an OC.
- James Potter II/Neville Longbottom ("S.S. Blurring All The Lines")
- James Potter II/Teddy Lupin ("H.M.S. Remix")
- James Potter II/Victoire Weasley ("S.S Mischievous Beauty")
He is also sometimes paired in an incest pairing with one of his siblings:
- James Potter II/Lily Potter ("S.S. Homage: Just Like Starting Over")
- James Potter II/Albus Severus Potter
- The Rules of Being a Godson by Copperbadge (Teddy/James II fanfiction)
- Longing to Impress by trowicia (gen fanart)
- Special Edition: James Sirius Potter at the Daily Snitch
- James Sirius Potter works on ff.net
- James Sirius Potter works on Ao3
- ^ See Generational titles at Wikipedia.
- ^ @jk_rowling on Twitter, 01 September 2015: "Have just heard that James S Potter has been Sorted (to nobody's surprise) into Gryffindor. Teddy Lupin (Head Boy, Hufflepuff) disappointed." (link), following the earlier tweet: "I'm in Edinburgh, so could somebody at King's Cross wish James S Potter good luck for me? He's starting at Hogwarts today. #BackToHogwarts" (link).
- ^ For example, see marguerite_26's Age Disparity Guide, written in May 2009, which states "We know he [James] is older than Albus, though likely not by much. We often see him as only a year older, so I will use that as 'accepted canon', though 2 years older is not technically wrong." (Accessed 01 September 2015.)