|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||next gen, new generation|
|See Also:||cross gen|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Next generation or next gen is a fanfiction trope that focuses on the children (or other descendants) of canon characters. These may appear in canon or be invented original characters. It is a subset of futurefic and is often a form of kidfic, although the next generation characters can be depicted as adults. Next generation stories are particularly common in fandoms where published canon ends with a heterosexual couple getting together, for example Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Harry Potter, where the Deathly Hallows epilogue gives fans plenty of blank canvases to paint. The play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a good example of a canon next gen story.
Stories often focus on the child finding out his/her parents' history or dealing with the problems of being the offspring of famous parents.
- the zines The Dragon's Claw (1987) and Revenge of the Wind Rider (1985) are two Star Trek: TOS examples
- Full Circle by Crystal Wimmer (1998) (Lois & Clark)
- Firestorm & Starfire and Sunstorm by Irene Dutch (1999) (Lois & Clark)
- Noble Jewel & sequels by Isabeau of Greenlea (2005) (Lord of the Rings)
- Sins of the Fathers by blamebrampton (2007) (Harry Potter)
- The Brain Thief (2011) (Discworld novella starring Sam Vimes, Jr)
- Fictitious Persons by Debbie G (2014) (Lois & Clark)
- Tales From the Tower (2014-2018) and Tales From the Tower: The Next Genertion (2016-2018 WIP) by NyxEtoile, OlivesAwl, very long series of Avengers stories.