|Name:||Lily Evans Potter|
|Occupation:||witch, Order member|
|Relationships:|| James Potter (husband)|
Harry Potter (son) Petunia Dursley (sister)
Vernon Dursley (brother-in-law)
Dudley Dursley (nephew)
|Other:||born 30 January 1960, died 31 October 1981|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Lily is a muggle-born witch, the younger sister of Petunia. A childhood friend of Severus Snape, she repudiates him when he shows Death Eater sympathies and later marries wealthy pureblood James Potter, who is shown to have pursued her since fifth year, though she initially refused to date him. After Hogwarts, she and James join the Order of the Phoenix to fight Voldemort. They are betrayed by supposed friend Peter Pettigrew and both are murdered by Voldemort. Lily's loving maternal sacrifice mysteriously protects her infant son Harry, a protection that lasts until he's an adult as long as he lives with her blood relatives.
Considering how little is known about her, Lily receives a lot of fannish attention. Meta focuses on her relationships with Snape and James, and particularly why she switches allegiance between them. There's also speculation on why her sacrifice protects Harry and discussion of her as a (anti-)feminist character.
Most fanfiction featuring Lily involves her eventual relationship with James Potter during her Hogwarts years. In AUs where Lily and James both survive, she mostly remains with James to raise Harry, and is usually portrayed as an excellent mother. She is also often paired with Severus Snape, who was canonically in love with her for many years. Other common ships include Marauders Sirius Black & Remus Lupin. In threesome pairings, she is often paired with the above characters (for example Lily/Remus/Severus and Lily/Remus/Sirius).
- The Prefect's Portrait by Arsinoe de Blassenville. Lily & Hermione friendship story, where Hermione revives a portrait of school-aged Lily (2004–5)
- The White Road by Perverse Idyll. Deathly Hallows fix-it novel in which Lily in the afterlife watches a relationship develop between her son Harry & Severus Snape, the childhood friend who betrayed her (2008). Svartalfur writes Lily's character is probably the most outstanding feat of the story. The petty and shallow girl from canon finally gets to be a person, three dimensional and even likable.
- Wait, What? by Esama. Popular crackfic with a BAMF-Lily (2011)
- Lily Evans (wearing James’ quidditch vest, obviously) by scarmander
- a hogsmeade date by wingedcorgi
- punk-ish!Maradeurs, huh? by dasstark
- Lily Evans on her wedding day by lily-lou-love
Archives and Communities
- Harry Potter Lexicon. HPL: Lily Potter. (Accessed 23 February 2011.)
- crack-broom: open rec - Snape/Harry, "The White Road" by perverse_idyll (accessed 29 April 2015)