|Name:||Ginevra "Ginny" Molly Weasley|
|Relationships:|| Molly Weasley (mother)|
Arthur Weasley (father)
various brothers and nephews/niece via Weasley clan
Harry Potter (married)
Michael Corner (dated)
|Other:||born 11 August 1981|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Ginny Weasley is a character in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, best known as Ron Weasley's younger sister and Harry Potter's canonical love interest.
In the early books, Ginny is mostly characterized by her painfully obvious crush on Harry, which causes her to be bashful and clumsy around him. Since the books are in Harry's POV, this causes her to come off as a shy romantic type. However, the early books do have some hints that Ginny is more outgoing normally. Ginny has a significant behind-the-scenes role in the second book, in which she starts Hogwarts and spends the year being possessed by Tom Riddle's diary, but she's largely irrelevant in the other early books.
In the fourth and especially the fifth book, Ginny is characterized as much more assertive and is revealed to have begun dating. In the sixth book, Harry develops romantic feelings for her, and they start dating each other in the same book. Ginny states that she never really gave up on Harry and that she only dated other boys to try to get over him. By the end of the seventh book, Harry and Ginny are married with three children: James Sirius Potter, Albus Severus Potter, and Lily Luna Potter.
Portrayal in Fandom
Ginny has often, in some circles (such as Harry/Hermione or Harry/Draco shipper circles), been a victim of character bashing. This is presumably a result of backlash towards the Harry/Ginny canonical ship, which seemed to threaten the existence of those other ships. Some have claimed she is a Mary Sue (guilty of being too perfect), while others have argued against that judgement. Others have called her a slut, and various other misogynist names, as Mrs. Bombastic cataloged to prove such character bashing is prevalent.
- The Changeling by Annerb. Sorting AU in which Ginny is sorted into Slytherin Harry/Ginny (2011–2017)
- Noticing by TheDistantDusk. Book 6 through Ginny's perspective (Harry/Ginny) (2020).
- Scars of Time by Rhiannyn. Tom/Ginny Time Travel (2021).
- When We're Wining by agentmoppet. Tonks/Ginny as told through Ginny's 30 day therapy-mandated anger management journal (2021).
- Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time by lq_traintracks. Pansy/Ginny smut (2021).
- Maybe It's You by likehandlingroses. Ginny/Luna (2019).
- Single and Snacking in Phoenix, AZ by keyflight790. Ginny/Pansy Fake Dating (2019).
- "The reason why I believe Ginny Weasley is important is because of her journey and what it entails...", Archived version by whiffingbooks on tumblr
Archives & Links
- Ginny Weasley works on Ao3
- Ginny Weasley works on ff.net
- ^ J.K.Rowling Official Site. 11 August 2003. Archived at the Harry Potter Lexicon: Guide to jkrowling.com - Brithdays. (Accessed 20 January 2011.)
- ^ mad_madame_me, (2009). In Defense of Ginny Weasley, retrieved March 30, 2011. Webcite.
- ^ Mrs. Bombastic, (2006). Longing for what is 'right' rather than what is 'easy', retrieved May 22, 2011. Webcite.