|Pairing:||Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy|
|Alternative name(s):||Draco/Harry, H/D, Drarry, S.S. Guns 'n' Handcuffs, Guns and Handcuffs|
|Gender category:||M/M slash|
|Archives:||The Hex Files (now on AO3)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy is one of the most popular slash ships in the Harry Potter fandom. Tens of thousands of fanworks have been created around this pairing since it first appeared in 2000 and quickly gained in popularity. The ship is also known as Guns and Handcuffs, a name popularised by FictionAlley's SCUSA forum and derived from two fanfics that were extremely popular in the early stages of the ship's development: Snitch! by Al and Irresistible Poison by Rhysenn (which feature guns and handcuffs respectively).
The first Harry/Draco story posted online is thought to be The Kiss of Life by Jack F., posted to HpSlash on June 18, 2000. The first H/D fic posted on Fanfiction.Net was After Ten Years by Izzy on October 29, 2000.
A H/D shipping thread was started on FictionAlley's SCUSA forum in December 2001, where the name "Guns 'n' Handcuffs" was popularized. The ship has historically been the most popular slash pairing and second most popular pairing overall at the forum.
As of 2017, it remains one of the most popular pairings in Harry Potter fandom. It is currently the most popular HP pairing at Archive of Our Own by a wide margin.
Relationship to Canon
Shippers can point to a lot of subtext supporting this pairing although very few have believed that it could ever become canon. Some fans are attracted to the pairing because they like exploring the dynamics of their enemyslash or rivalry, which can be interpreted as UST. Some simply think Harry and Draco would be hot together.
After Order of the Phoenix, some shippers were worried for the ship because in the end of the book, Harry ignored Draco, while others argued that Harry had outgrown his rivalry with Draco. However, much to the fans' glee, Harry spent most of the next book, Half-Blood Prince, stalking and obsessing over Draco. In Deathly Hallows, shippers saw even more possible evidence to support their ship: Draco didn't confirm Harry's identity to the Death Eaters, thus giving Harry and his friends the chance to escape; and by the end of the book, Harry saved Draco's life. After DH, some fan writers have chosen to ignore the epilogue, while others write around Harry's and Draco's respective marriages. It also marked the departure of some shippers to the Albus Severus/Scorpius fandom.
Some popular story tropes for Harry/Draco fanfiction include:
- Aurorfic - where Harry and Draco are Auror partners. Example: Drop Dead Gorgeous
- Animagusfic - where Harry or Draco is an animagus.
- Epistolaryfic - where the Harry/Draco relationship is conveyed through collated documents.
- Bonds - where most often Harry and Draco are forced to be together through a magical bond. Example: Gold Tinted Spectacles
- Disabilityfic - in which either Harry or Draco have a disability.
- EWE - where Harry's marriage to Ginny and Draco's to Astoria is ignored.
- Ever so slightly longer but not quite as thick
- Forced to be intimate scenarios such as Fuck or Die or Forced Bed-Sharing
- Mpreg - where Harry and/or Draco is pregnant.
- Quidditchfic - where Harry and Draco are professional Quidditch players.
- Slytherin!Harry - a Sorting AU scenario. Example: The Sacrifices Arc
- Time travel
- Veelafic - where most often Draco is a Veela and Harry is his soulmate. Examples: Angels and Devils and Magnetic Attraction
The massive and varied output of Harry/Draco fans makes a definitive list of influential works difficult, if not impossible, to establish. Perhaps for this very reason, H/D fans are particularly obsessed with drawing up lists of "fandom classics", and many reccers have compiled variously comprehensive, selective, and thematic lists to aid the floundering newbie.
Some of the most-recced H/D classics include:
- Irresistible Poison by Rhysenn (2001–2003)
- Snitch! by Al (2001–2002; abandoned WIP)
- Daisychain!Draco by Aspen (c. 2001)
- Origins by Ivy Blossom (2002)
- Underwater Light by Maya (2002–2005)
- Tissue of Silver by Fearless Diva (2002–2004)
- Beautiful World by Cinnamon (2003)
- Transfigurations by Resonant (2003)
- Seeker to Seeker by BaronNomaw (2003)
- A Thousand Beautiful Things by Geoviki (2004)
- Left My Heart by Emma Grant (2004)
- Angels and Devils by Beren (2005)
- The Sacrifices Arc by Lightning Wave (2005–2007)
- Drop Dead Gorgeous by Maya (2006–2008)
- Desperately Seeking Someone by alaana_fair (2008)
- The Malfoy Family Silver- by blackhemlock, In his dreams Draco sees horrors and when he wakes, he remembers that each and every one of them is real. And when he wakes, he straps on his dragon-hide armour and goes out to stop what he can. Rated Explicit.
- He Was He and I Was Bunny by bryoneybrynn, The war is over and “eighth year” is about to begin at Hogwarts. But for Harry and Draco, nothing is quite the same. Harry’s looking for an escape, Draco’s looking for a friend. Does a little black bunny hold the answers for both of our boys?. Rated Explicit.
- Break-Up Sex by gracerene, Harry doesn't miss the bond, but he does miss Draco. Rated E
- Beyond the Mirror's Edge by VivacissimoVoce, Harry Potter is dead! A spell goes wrong in Advanced Charms class, leaving nothing but a charred ring and a pair of empty shoes. Draco Malfoy must figure out what happened and try to bring Harry back. Rated Mature
- Haute Allure by zeitgeistic (faire_weather), Harry is famous for his menswear now. Malfoy is the inside leg that he loves running his tape measure up. Rated Explicit
- And a Malfoy in a Pear Tree bylauren3210, Draco works in a coffee shop. Harry drops by every day to get his fix. Of coffee, Ron. Rated Explicit
- Potterella by VivacissimoVoce, Harry’s friends want him to find true love. But when a spell that promises happy endings goes out of control, fairy tales come to life and Draco becomes Harry’s Prince Not-So-Charming. Rated Mature
- Death Dreams by Writcraft, Draco likes to keep things casual, or at least he did before Harry Potter barged back into his life. Rated Explicit
- The Care and Management of Volatile Veelas by dracogotgame, Harry adopts a Veela. He really didn’t mean to. Rated Explicit
- The Weight of Eternity by venis_envy, Desperate for survival, Draco takes what he needs from others while avoiding the one he’s meant to be with. His newfound compassion will not allow him to trap the one he loves, even if it means his own life is the price paid for Harry’s freedom of choice. Rated Explicit
- Time to Eternity by calrissian18, Malfoy has wings. Rated Explicit
- He's got fire for a heart, and I'm scared of burning by Samcgrath, Harry returns to England to help solve a particularly tricky case but nobody bothered to mention that he'd be working with Malfoy, who seems just as happy about it as Harry. In his absence, the wizarding world has changed in ways Harry's having some trouble adjusting to while Malfoy struts around in his elegant robes and effortlessly charms everyone he lays eyes on. Months of grappling with his own feelings, trying to understand Draco's, pining day in and day out - it can get a little tiring especially when Draco Malfoy is as infuriating as ever. Rated Explicit.
- Harry Potter and the Sentinel Phenomenon by elyssblair, Everything changes the summer after fifth year. Draco refuses to take the Dark Mark and must deal with leaving behind the life, friends and family he's always known.The Dursley's abandon Harry alone in the woods for a week, triggering his Sentinel gifts and leaving him hurting and in need of a Guide. Can two rivals put aside five years worth of antagonism in order to work together to save Hogwarts and each other? Rated Mature
Popular fanartists who are noted for their Harry/Draco works include:
- Glockgal's HP fanart includes a number of H/D endeavors, including this one, spotted in LiveJournal icons from time to time.
- Naadi is a very prolific, intensely romantic Harry/Draco fanartist. Her most well-known works include The Pumpkin Juice Incident (2006) and The Everblooming Rose (2010).
- Sherant has done several pieces of Harry/Draco art in various media (oil, photoshop, etc.)
- H/D Art Fest, an annual fest hosted by the hd_fanart community (last round was 2017)
- phoenixacid's Epic List of H/D Fandom's Favourite Fanarts
Notable vids include:
- My Love by hrmheatherrenee
- If You Love Me by hrmheatherrenee
- Don't Ever Say Goodbye by mio1515
- Choke by SciFiNerd92
- My Sweet Prince by volchiha
- Lying is the most fun... by josie
- You Look So Fine by josie
- I Feel You by gypsyraeyven
- Suffocating by sapphiamur
- The Whomping Willows have a song from their 2007 album Welcome To The House Of Awesome entitled "In Which Draco And Harry Secretly Want To Make Out" which became a fan favorite.
Meta and Other Essays
- List of Harry/Draco Fests on Fanlore
- A poll about Fandom Favourites 2007-2010, posted to gunshandcuffs, June 2010.
- A poll about Fandom Classics by sulky_rhino, September 2007.
- The Directory of Harry/Draco Rec Lists by gossymer, February 2006.
- butmalfoy, an index of H/D fanfic
- H/D Directory, a directory of H/D fan writer and fanartist bibliographies
- après l'école, a masterlist of post-Hogwarts Harry/Draco fanfic (collected before Deathly Hallows)
H/D Sites & Communities
- harrydraco - the largest Harry/Draco community on LiveJournal, though there are numerous others.
- hd_prophet - A Harry/Draco newsletter on LiveJournal.
- hd_fanart - A Harry/Draco artwork community.
- Harry/Draco Communities on LiveJournal by alaana_fair (from 2010)
- The Hex Files - a popular Harry/Draco archive. (moved to Archive Of Our Own in 2017)
- Harry and Draco Fanfiction Archive
- Pure Magnetism
- Big Bang, Baby - the original Big Bang challenge.
Fuck Yeah Harry/Draco(deleted)
- Drarry For The Win a tumblr based on Top!Draco Drarry.
- Drarry AO3 Feed - automatically posts Drarry fics from AO3
- Whorecrux Archives
- Guns'n'Handcuffs Ship Information, archived 22 July 2007 by the Wayback Machine.
- Harry/Draco Subtext In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by aldebaran1977, July 2007 (Accessed November 2008).
- Just call me a Hippogryff: Why Harry/Draco is not Dead, an essay about Harry/Draco after OotP by Ivy Blossom, June 2003 (Accessed November 2008)