|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||creature!fic, Elf AU, werewolf|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fandoms with canon vampires
Fandoms with vampire-centric canons include:
- Angel the Series
- Anita Blake
- Anno Dracula and sequels by Kim Newman
- Being Human
- Blood Ties
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Carry On
- Forever Knight
- Innocent Blood
- Kindred: The Embraced
- True Blood
- Vampire Academy
- The Vampire Chronicles
- The Vampire Diaries
- The Vampire Genevive by Jack Yeovil
Vampires as secondary canon elements
Several canons have vampires that are a major plot element when seen, but aren't always part of the story; for example, a recurring vampire character who isn't always in the story, in a series that isn't otherwise about vampires.
- The Destroyer canon includes books in which vampires are the main threat, but they are a small percentage of this canon.
- Doctor Who has several vampire species, especially the primordial Great Vampires, Haemovores and the fishlike vampires of Vampires of Venice. They are seen in several episodes and described in detail, but don't appear very often.
- Several vampire factions are seen in The Dresden Files (more so in the books than on TV), but they are not always the main focus of the stories.
- The Laundry Files series has vampires, but they don't appear until several books into the series.
- Preacher (Comic) has a semi-regular vampire character, but isn't primarily a story about vampires.
- Sanctuary has a canon vampire character who appears occasionally, but vampirism is rarely the main thrust of stories.
Vampires as minor canon elements
While the existence of vampires is canon in some cases such as Supernatural and Harry Potter, the vampires play a very minor role and might only be mentioned in passing. This often results in a lack of canon-specific vampire lore that is filled by fanfic. Sometimes, fan authors develop an entire original society and culture for the vampires in their stories.
Since no major canon character is a vampire in these cases, these stories generally feature original characters as vampires or a canon character is turned into a vampire for the purpose of the story. In some cases, a canon character such as Severus Snape is depicted as having always been a vampire without the other characters knowing of it.
A Vampire AU is a type of Alternate Universe story, similar to the Elf AU, in which vampires exist (in the case of vampireless canons) or in which a non-vampiric character is recast as a vampire (regardless of whether vampires appear in canon).
- The Vampire Trilogy by Krystal is a popular Hanson fanfic series in which Taylor is bitten and becomes a vampire. Because of his fame, he becomes a pawn in complicated vampire politics in the sequels.
- covered in lines by mentalistecbm, a One Direction fic series where Harry is a vampire and Louis is his human boyfriend: a combination of a highschool AU, college AU, and vampire AU.
- Widow's Bite by FannyT. Avengers, Natasha Romanov is a vampire.
- Alternate Universe - Vampire on AO3
- Are vampires the new "real men" for women?, discussion at rec.arts.sf.written with eight pages (191 posts by 56 authors) of comments (May 3, 2006)
- Vampire Big Bang (LiveJournal)
- Vampires in The Harry Potter Lexicon (accessed 26th August 2015). While vampires are mentioned several times in the series only one is actually seen in person. Sanguini attends a party in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, does nothing except look bored, and is present for approximately 20 words of a 600-page book.
- To See A Human Soul Take Wing, by Maeglin Yedi, for example, features a vampire named Ivan.