|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Vampire AU, A Little Less Sixteen Candles AU, creature!fic, Elf AU, werewolf|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In source materials with canon vampires, fandom often develops or expands on societal structures and norms within vampire society. Buffyverse fanwriters developed detailed headcanons around Sire/Childe relationships and vampire mating rituals; two tropes with little or no basis in canon. However stories involving vampires are often influenced by other source materials with canon vampires. Buffyverse fanwriters are believed to have been influenced by Vampire: The Masquerade role-playing game, which was itself influenced by Anne Rices' The Vampire Chronicles.
In fandoms where vampires are minor characters, or where vampires exist but only as antagonists, fanwriters may use original characters to examine vampiric relationships and culture in that canon. Alternatively a character may be bitten and turn into a vampire. Vampire AU stories also appear.
Fandoms with canon vampires
Fandoms with vampire-centric canons include:
Vampires as secondary canon elements
Several canons have vampires that are a major plot element when seen, but aren't always part of the story; for example, a recurring vampire character who isn't always in the story, in a series that isn't otherwise about vampires.
- The Destroyer canon includes books in which vampires are the main threat, but they are a small percentage of this canon.
- Doctor Who has several vampire species, especially the primordial Great Vampires, Haemovores and the fishlike vampires of Vampires of Venice. They are seen in several episodes and described in detail, but don't appear very often.
- Several vampire factions are seen in The Dresden Files (more so in the books than on TV), but they are not always the main focus of the stories.
- The Laundry Files series has vampires, but they don't appear until several books into the series.
- Preacher (Comic) has a semi-regular vampire character, but isn't primarily a story about vampires.
- Sanctuary has a canon vampire character who appears occasionally, but vampirism is rarely the main thrust of stories.
- Professional Wrestling has Gangrel, aka The Vampire Warrior, Vampiro, and Kevin Thorn. Gangrel and Thorn held the VCW (Vanguard Championship Wrestling in Virginia) Tag Team Titles.
Vampires as minor canon elements
While the existence of vampires is canon in some cases such as Supernatural and Harry Potter, the vampires play a very minor role and might only be mentioned in passing. This often results in a lack of canon-specific vampire lore that is filled by fanfic. Sometimes, fan authors develop an entire original society and culture for the vampires in their stories.
Since no major canon character is a vampire in these cases, these stories generally feature original characters as vampires or a canon character is turned into a vampire for the purpose of the story. In some cases, a canon character such as Severus Snape is depicted as having always been a vampire without the other characters knowing of it.
Vampires in Fanworks
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Sire Bond is a trope that appears in Buffyverse, TVD, True Blood and other vampire centric fandoms
- Vampire character becomes human
- Biting and Bloodplay
- Main Article: Vampire AU
A Vampire AU is a type of Alternate Universe story, similar to the Elf AU, in which vampires exist (in the case of vampireless canons) or in which a non-vampiric character is recast as a vampire (regardless of whether vampires appear in canon).
- Rats' Alley by FabulaRasa. One of the many vampire!Snape stories (Harry Potter)
- (To Die Will Be) An Awfully Big Adventure is a Bandom fic by FayJay
- Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency, a Bandom fic by jjtaylor
- The Last Vampire is a Forever Knight story by Diane Echelbarger.
- Dyad: The Vampire Stories (multimedia)
- Love Bites (multimedia)
- Under the Gibbous Moon (multimedia)
- Vampire Quarterly
- The Vampire's Crypt
- Too Many Vampires by Debra Fran Baker (2000)
- Are vampires the new "real men" for women?, discussion at rec.arts.sf.written with eight pages (191 posts by 56 authors) of comments (May 3, 2006)
- Vampirism as a metaphor for privilege by meganphntmgrl (24 Jan. 2014)
- Vampire Big Bang (LiveJournal)
Archives & Links
- On how the claim ritual came to be a thing in Spuffy fics post by rahirah, 2017.
- Vampires in The Harry Potter Lexicon (accessed 26th August 2015). While vampires are mentioned several times in the series only one is actually seen in person. Sanguini attends a party in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, does nothing except look bored, and is present for approximately 20 words of a 600-page book.
- To See A Human Soul Take Wing, by Maeglin Yedi, for example, features a vampire named Ivan.