Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency
|Title:||Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency|
|Length:||161,570 words as of 2018|
|Genre:||slash, AU, case fic, magic AU|
|External Links:||AO3 page|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Writer's summary for the first part:
Pete, in Decaydance Mansion, with a yarrow stake. Frank and Gerard, in the greenhouse, with a plant of questionable origin. Bob, everywhere you look, with a gang of assassins for justice. Vampires, valets, pamphlets, haunted furniture, dub-thrall, disembodied voices, zombie couriers, and sinister rituals.
Cast and pairings
As of October 2018 the series comprises 11 parts, the first having been posted in June 2009, the latest dating from June 2018.
- Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency. Originally posted as part of bandombigbang in June 2009, it comes with fanart and mixes.
- The Detective's Secret and the Mystery of the Dancing Flowers. Sequel originally posted to Dreamwidth in December 2010.
- Your Neighbors in Apartment 27 B, Transitional Zone 12, a Bob/Ray side story.
- Spin the Wheel of the Year (Close Your Eyes and Point), a Pete/Mikey story.
- Sound Experiments in Transmutation with pennyplainknits for pod together.
- The Tower and the Arena with pennyplainknits for pod together.
- Origins of the Secret Language of Breakfast, a Lindsey/Jamia prequel
- Single and Double Cross Knotting the Reins, a Brendon/Spencer story
The writer uses a variety of styles and techniques that break traditional linear narration, allowing her to enrich the world-building, present background information and foreshadow plot twists in a light, often humorous manner. This gives the story a quirky, mixed-media feel.
For example, from Part 1:
So you've hired a vampire! Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the Nosferatus Nocturnus, commonly known as "vampire":
Q: Do they miss the sunlight? A: The destructive power of sunlight on a vampire usually overpowers any nostalgia they might feel.
Q: Can they hear my heartbeat from a mile away? A: Yes, though only if they have established a close working or personal relationship with you.
Q: Can they turn into bats? A: No, that's only the Chiropteran People of the Northwest.
The second story in the verse uses the same principle, but the excerpts are from formal documents authored by Brian Schechter, one of the supporting characters, as part of his application to become a certified mage. This provides two layers of additional narration: the content of the documents gives background and additional information about the universe, the Way family and the events of the story, while the interspersed footnotes provide dry, long-suffering commentary that adds humour to the story.
The verse has inspired fans to create many related works, for example:
In addition to the parts of the verse which were co-created as part of pod together, many podfics exist in the verse:
- Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency by fayjay
- The Detective's Secret and the Mystery of the Dancing Flowers by pennyplainknits
- Outtake #1:The Midnighter's Baking Companion by pennyplainknits
- Your Neighbours In Apartment 27 B, Transitional Zone 12 by pennyplainknits
- Spin the Wheel of the Year (close your eyes and point) by pennyplainknits
- Fifth Grand Sorcerer of the Ancient Order of Magic by pennyplainknits
- Art by poseys_demise, posted as part of the original Bandom Big Bang post.
- Art by lilth, posted as part of the original Bandom Big Bang post.
on Epic Recs, 2010:
This is one of the most original, fascinating, well thought-out AUs I’ve ever read. Each of the characters is transformed so well into this intriguing little world, which has been broken up into communities of daylighters and midnighters. I adore the many changes to government and lifestyles that are highlighted in this. The characterizations in this story are really something else. The author was able to maintain each character’s description while throwing a unique spin on them by either making them into some other type of creature or showing their place in this new society. Frank and Gerard are the main characters, and both are beautifully depicted. But even the characters that are only mentioned once throughout the fic are terribly interesting. (...)
Tumblr rec, 2012:
it ends on an abrupt note -- maybe it's meant to be the first in a series, like the ghost story series -- but all the major plot elements and character issues are resolved. it's a lot of fun, great world-building, and atypical characterization. the mystery is rly well done. iawtspoiler to the left.
I LOVE THIS STORY! IT'S SO CHARMING, AND THE WORLDBUILDING'S AS EXCELLENT AS EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING. (THE PAMPHLETS AND EXCERPTS MAKE A GREAT FRAMING DEVICE.) IT ALSO CONTAINS SOME OF JJ'S SIGNATURE FRANK/GERARD PINING, ALTHOUGH IT'S NOT QUITE AS ANGSTY AS HER USUAL (IN SPITE OF BEING A MURDER MYSTERY, THIS IS A PRETTY LIGHT, FUN STORY). THE ENDING DOES COME A BIT SUDDENLY, BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY LEAVE ANYTHING UNRESOLVED. IT DEFINITELY LEAVES THE FIELD OPEN FOR SEQUELS OR SIDE STORIES, WHICH WOULD BE FANTASTIC, BECAUSE THIS IS THE SORT OF UNIVERSE THAT COULD ACCOMMODATE ANY NUMBER OF THOSE.
IF YOU'RE, LIKE ME, A LOL SENSITIVE PANIC!WIFE YOU CAN BE UNPLEASANTLY SURPRISED, BUT IT WORKS IN CONTEXT OF THE STORY. AND THE FIC ITSELF ITSELF IS AMAZING. IT'S CAPTIVATING AND FUNNY, WORLDBUILDING IS SURPRISINGLY RICH AND FLESHED OUT (LOL FLESHED), CHARACTERS ARE ALIVE AND INTERESTING AND RELATIONSHIPS ARE VERY, VERY SWEET. HIGHLY ENJOYABLE. [SPOILER]BUT REALLY, DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE RYAN AN EVIL XENOPHOBIC POLITICIAN AND SOMEBODY WHO'D DUBCON BIND HIS BOYFRAND TO DEMON? COULDN'T IT BE, IDK, ANDY? NOBODY LOVES ANDY ANYWAY ;____;
from one of the 123 comments on the original livejournal post, 2009:
Everything in this was so believable. Especially the little pamphlet interjections every once in a while, like we were subtly being introduced into the midnighter community that you created. And I fucking adore that community, okay? I want to be a midnighter so badly right now, you don't even know. Also! Characters were like, amazingly well-placed and their species or whatever was just fskdlgjlirgldfgjlamazing. Dewees as a zombie? Brian as a sorcerer? COMPLETE LOVE. And Frank in vampire form was like, beyond my comprehension of love, okay? I more than loved Frank (and Gerard) in this story. Their little quirks, like Frank always wanting to take care of Gerard and passing it off as just being a 'vigilant valet.' And Gerard, keeping a secret from Frank, when all Frank wanted to do was be awesome and help, because that's what vigilant valets do! *swoons to self*
- cheetahanabel, Rec, posted oct 6, 2010 in the epic-recs LJ community
- wicked121, Tumblr rec, posted Dec 6, 2012
- The reviews were either collected for, or originally written in, a google doc spreadsheet that was shared with the community. All reviews are anonymous and were apparently written on or before "6/19ISH".
- cherry_road. livejournal comment 13 June 2009