|Pairing:||Mikey Way/Pete Wentz|
|Alternative name(s):||Petekey, Pikey|
|Fandom:||My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Bandom|
|Other:||Pairing tag @AO3|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The pairing is at the center of many stories, and is also often found as a side or background pairing in Frank/Gerard stories.
Pete and Mikey are easy to ship due to their propensity for praising each other('s bands) in interviews, wearing each other's merch, hanging out when on the same tours, sharing clothes and exes and being in not only one, but two gangs together: the "Sweet Little Dudes" and the "Fraternal Order of the Handsome Boy." Along with a so-called band that has made no music, "Fruit Brute"
The infamous Summer of Like aka Warped Tour 2005 may be the origin of the pairing and certainly gave it a boost in popularity. On LiveJournal, the first community dedicated to the pairing was probably _sweetlildudes, created on August 7, 2005. However, that comm had only 8 entries; petexmikey, created on September 2, gained more traction.
Some fans believe that Pete and Mikey may have had a real-life romantic relationship during the summer of 2005, and even skeptical shippers frequently adopt the rumors about this time as fanon. For example, some point to writings allegedly deleted from Pete's LiveJournal in 2005 and reposted on various other websites. There are also rumors that Pete and Mikey did not want to be seen together, which would explain why there is only a handful of pictures of them together from 2004 and 2005, the time they were on Warped Tour together.
The Fall Out Boy songs "Bang the Doldrums" (2007) and "Fourth of July" (2015) are rumored to have been written by Pete about Mikey. Fans also speculate about other songs that may have been inspired by the relationship.
Common Aspects of Fanworks
Pete/Mikey fic commonly features angsty themes related to drugs, mental health, and questioning one's sexuality, due to Pete's repeated quotes about making out with men but only being "gay above the waist."
Storylines sometimes make MCR members protective of Mikey and suspicious of Pete's motives/mental stability. Gerard and Mikey's strong sibling relationship features frequently, as well as Pete and Patrick Stump's friendship.
- As a Toy Soldier by anonymous. Pete/Mikey-centric with background Frank/Gerard. Killjoys AU. (2011-01-27)
- Blurring the Truth and the Lies by turps. Pete/Mikey hurt/comfort AU. (2013-06-26)
- Everyday Mysteries In The Summertime by Waxjism. Pete/Mikey-centric, 22k, small town Highschool AU. (See also Frank/Gerard-centric sequel Nightswimming) (2007-07-17)
- Fanart for arsenicjade by gira_luna: drawing for the story A Little Less Doolittle, A Little More Noah's Ark. (2012-01-09)
- MWAT is kind of the UNICORNS, comic by llampi in which Mikey rescues a kidnapped Pete with the help of unicorns. (2008-06-23)
- Podfic: Spin the Wheel of the Year (Close your eyes and Point) performed by pennyplainknits, written by jjtaylor. Pete/Mikey, 01:50:20. Part of the Gerard Way's (Vampire) Detective Agency verse. (2012-12-26)
- When the Road Disappears written by romanticalgirl for bandomstuffsit. Pete/Mikey. Summary: Mikey knows Pete doesn't do cock. Pete's not as sure. (2010-12-28)
- Mikey/Pete Manifesto (Turned Primer) by blushandrecover at bandom_ships (2008-02-28)
- Pete/Mikey fanworks at Archive of Our Own
- Pete/Mikey podfics at Audiofic Archive
- Petekey appears to be the more popular smushname, based on tagging counts on AO3. As of 17 March 2018, a tag search revealed that the freeform tag "petekey" had 158 uses, while "pikey" had 44 uses.
- Pete's Apr 4, 2013 Tweet @mikeyway and me are in the same town. gonna make a sweet lil dude hang happen.
- Pete's instagram pic of him and Mikey captioned One of my favorite dudes ever #sweetlittledudes @mikeyway, posted June 14, 2013
- Mikey's Feb 12, 2016 Twitter reply: @petewentz thank you #sld!
- See for example this interview with The Advocate: Big Gay Following: Pete Wentz, published Apr 9, 2007: You made a lot of gay fans happy when you admitted that you’d kissed boys because “anything above the waist is fair game.” [Laughs] I actually mean it. That’s just kind of how I am. I’m a little bit of a makeout king. I don’t discriminate too much.