|Date(s):||2007-07-17 (Everyday Mysteries In The Summertime)|
|Length:||22834 words (Everyday Mysteries In The Summertime)|
140615 words (Nightswimming)
|Fandom:||My Chemical Romance|
|External Links:||nightswimming at waxjism.org (archived); series on AO3|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Nightswimming is a popular Bandom High School AU series written by Wax Jism. It consists of two stories: a Pete/Mikey novella called Everyday Mysteries In The Summertime and a novel-length Frank/Gerard sequel set during the same time period. "Nightswimming" is probably a reference to the song by REM, but also refers to a romantic scene when Frank and Gerard go swimming at night.
In "Everyday Mysteries In The Summertime" Mikey and Gerard work at the gas station their mother owns, while Pete Wentz attends the summer session at a nearby private school. The author's summary is Summertime and the livin' is easy...
The sequel is written from Frank's point of view. While Mikey's relationship with Pete continues in the background, Frank, also in summer school, sneaks over every night to hang out with Gerard. They fall in love. Gerard is 20, has dropped out of art school, and lives in the basement with untreated depression and incipient alcoholism. Frank is avoiding his soon-to-be stepfather. The ending is hopeful, but Mikey and Pete break up. Author's summary: My Teenage Romance
Nightswimming may have ended up as the more popular fic, but both stories were well received.
waxjism's announcement post for Nightswimming received 70 comments. Examples:
DUDE. Dude. Okay. I've been waiting for this for so long, you have no idea. I would fantasize about how it might go! I was mentally writing fanfic of your fanfic!
!!! I've been waiting for this fic for forever and I seriously just read the entire thing in one sitting and it is amazing. Possibly more amazing than Everyday Mysteries, and I tried to graphic novel-ize that I liked it so much. Just--I love this so much it's ridiculous
The characters are just so solidly created. I love Frank's brain, Gerard's fucked upness, and everything that was going on with Mikey that Frank wasn't able to see and oh. Just, Linda, honey. MASSIVE HUGS TO HER. and GEORGE who I totally adore and believe to be a secret loser.
A 2012 LiveJournal rec:
Probably the Gerard/Frank to end all Gerard/Frank. Gerard moves back into his mother’s house after SVA and starts hanging out with Frank – the friend of his little brother. The age gap is nicely handled, and never gets too squicky, mainly because it’s written from Frank’s POV and you can just tell how painfully in love he is, despite all Gerard’s faults. I genuinely get all emotional alongside Frank as his parents keep them apart, despite the fact that Frank is so obviously a little shit to them – and the author really gets under the skin of Teenage!Frank.
- greedy_dancer podficced "Nightswimming" and posted it in installments over four years; when completed (2016-05-01), the podfic was 15 hours long.
- Whiskey Filled Serenades, fanmix by paintthelockerswithyourbrains (April 29, 2014)
- everyday mysteries in the summertime fanmix by Justoffthekeyofreason (March 12, 2016)
- Nightswimming was also translated into Russian by stupidsadisticandsuicidal
- Fic: Nightswimming (MCR, Frank/Gerard), 2008-02-12.
- comment by stele3
- comment by escherzo
- comment by shoemaster
- Bandom recs by the9thdoctor in plotbunniesinc, Jun. 19th, 2012
- "Waxjism's wonderful study in adolescence, slow burn, and hazy summer nights." What are the top 5(+) fanfiction you have ever read from every genre and any fandom?
- "basically one of the best characterizations of Frank and Gerard and Mikey ever! Teenagers and AMAZING!" Master Rec List (MCR fan fiction), Archived version, post by wicked121, Dec 6, 2012.
- rated 4.75 out of 5 stars, with four votes. Nightswimming by waxjism, Archived version