|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||Dead Letters Challenge|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Epistolary fic is fanfic in the form of collated documents. Most usually these are letters, often written between the characters in a romantic pairing (for example, No Unicorns, a Pros story in which Bodie and Doyle write to each other). Email may take the place of traditional letters when appropriate to the story's setting. Other types of documents—such as diary entries and newspaper clippings (or a mix of forms)—may be used as well, or as an alternative.
One of the more impressive multimedia examples of epistolary fiction was the Professionals zine Classified, published by Keynote Press. Its first print run consisted of a portfolio full of 435 separate documents -- letters, memos, cards, notes, and artwork -- numbered in a sequence that formed a story. (As production of this was extremely complex, later print runs were regular zines, with the documents written up as plain text.)
A twist on epistolary fic was the Dead Letters Challenge, in which the letters were written by characters from beyond the grave.
- Works tagged as epistolary at the AO3
- startrek_diary on LJ Epistolary community for Star Trek reboot
- list of Starsky and Hutch fics involving letters and notes
- Classified, a Professionals zine
- 21st Century Blues by Jojo, Starsky and Hutch communicate by email.
- Communication by Jenna Sinclair (Star Trek TOS). Letters between Kirk and Spock
- Sleepless in Providence, a Beauty and the Beast zine told with actual letters in envelopes
- Letters, a Star Wars TPM zine
- "Dead Letter" by Alexis Fegan Black in the zines Charisma #12 & Psychic Storm: A security guard on the Enterprise sends a letter recounting his unintentional witnessing of his captain and first officer making love.
- The Movie Journals by cmiran: sundry correspondence concerning the (fictional) preparation of a film of The Charioteer during the early 1960s
- "Full of Grace" by lastscorpion, a Forever Knight story for FK Fic Fest 2011: Grace Balthazar writes a series of letters home to her mother about her job at the Coroner's Office.
- Sub Rosa by prof_pangaea, a series of telegrams exchanged by the Holmes brothers during the Hiatus.
- Sammy's Drunken Letters to Stephen King by eighth_horizon: a multimedia series of letters about the dangerously inaccurate portrayal of paranormal creatures and defenses against them in King's works.
- An Ink-Stained Year by sixbeforelunch. A series of letters from Caroline Bingley and Colonel Fitzwilliam, set after the end of Pride and Prejudice
- Sometimes On The Rarest Nights by Clionaeilis. A long series of letters from Ivor Novello to Mabel Nesbitt which fuse Gosford Park with Novello's actual life
- Killing Elvis by David Hines. Hilarious e-mail correspondence for the Alien films; a Yuletide hit
- Lived by Amanda Dupois, a Hanson fanfic written as a posthumous letter to Zac following his untimely death.
- Drunk by Noelle "Nicky" DeLaet, a Hanson fanfic seemingly written in second person, then revealed to be a notebook filled with anecdotes to remind Zac (who suffered memory loss due to a morphine overdose) of his relationship with the narrator.
- Astrolabe by reluctantabandon and winter_of_our_discontent - a Dean/Cas SPN fic, AU where they are both graduate students with adjoining study carrels in the library who communicate through notes left at each other's desks.
- "Five extracts from Ralph's journal" and "Nicking a few pages from Ralph's journal..." by queen_ypolita: extracts from Ralph Lanyon's journal (a) betweeen Dunkirk and the middle of The Charioteer, and (b) after the end of the novel
- Attachments by Greer Watson: covers the events of Forever Knight from the time Natalie Lambert first meets Nick Knight to the final episode of the series, largely through entries in Natalie's diary but also e-mail, cards, and letters
- Original zine flyer for "Classified", via Wayback Machine, cached on July 21, 2006. Accessed November 8, 2008.